Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 05:44:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331497 Posts in 13574 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time hits PSP / PSN on July 31st!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time hits PSP / PSN on July 31st!  (Read 20784 times)
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »

You should really chill out man.  It's not he end of the world that you couldn't hype the game here a week ago. 
Kratoscar2008
Wayfarer of forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »

You should really chill out man.  It's not he end of the world that you couldn't hype the game here a week ago. 

I really want WoT to succeed, im okay now a new and fresh star.

The True Growlanser
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2012, 09:16:16 PM »

Sounds good.  I think the game will do fine. 
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »

Sounds good.  I think the game will do fine

Yeah, from the various forum posts, comments on the youtube trailers, twitter, etc. there actually seems to be a good amount of hype for this game (for a little known RPG series on a "dead" system, anyway).  Still a lot of "never heard of it" comments, but the outlook is much better than I expected.  It helps that it will (eventually) be playable on the Vita. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:19:45 PM by daved » Logged
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2012, 11:54:49 AM »

Your saying its not right now? BLASPHEMY! Gungir isn't even available yet, might be a few months before this one is D:

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2012, 12:03:56 PM »

Your saying its not right now? BLASPHEMY! Gungir isn't even available yet, might be a few months before this one is D:

Yep.  The wait is because Sony must "approve" PSP games before they can be played on the Vita.  Gungnir is supposed to be up on the Vita store on August 7th and is currently playable if transferred from PS3 to Vita.  Presumably the main reason for a delays is that they are worried about potential hacking exploits, etc.  It's unfortunate that I have seen some people blaming Atlus for these delays, but aside from pestering Sony to hurry up, there isn't much the publisher can do.  XSEED is having the same problem with the PSP version of Unchained Blades. 
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2012, 05:04:14 PM »

Presumably the main reason for a delays is that they are worried about potential hacking exploits, etc.  It's unfortunate that I have seen some people blaming Atlus for these delays, but aside from pestering Sony to hurry up, there isn't much the publisher can do.  XSEED is having the same problem with the PSP version of Unchained Blades. 
On the nose.

You pretty much summed up why I'm consistently dismissive and condescending towards fanboys who whine and blame publishers about delays and whatnot; there's a multitude of factors that determine release date and medium, and armchair publishers who think they know what's what in the industry whining about publishers and developers 'manning up' is idiocy at its finest.

Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2012, 11:19:11 AM »

Eh, Gungir didn't look that good to me. This looks far better. Its all good though, I don't have much money right now anyway. Christmas money will get it once its a bit cheaper on PSN.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2012, 04:24:10 PM »

Calling all PSP Vita experts:

I don't have a PSP Vita yet but was wondering if it's worth it to buy Vita and buy Growlanser via PSN as I noticed someone tweeted at https://twitter.com/FinalMacstorm/status/230381472387833858 that it could be transferred over today via ps3. I can buy the UMD disc that's out today at GameStop, I'm hesitant to pick up the game in person since my old psp is starting to fall apart (scratches, wonky buttons, backlit screen, etc.) hence considering PSP Vita would be the better way to experience the game.

1) Does the graphics look the same or different PSP Vita compared to PSP 3000?
2) Does it fill the whole screen in PSP Vita? (No odd picture frames on left and right)
3) Is the shopping cart and download process relatively quick/hastle free through Vita's PSN?

Playing: SMTIV (3DS).
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2012, 04:46:56 PM »

It's not a PSP Vita, it's a PS Vita, or PSV, or just Vita.

Anyway, I don't have a Vita yet but I plan to get one soon.  Especially since I already bought one Vita game and have another preordered (yes, I bought a game before I bought the system...it was an import, and they tend not to go down in price), and I do plan on getting Growlanser on PSN so I can still play it on my Vita whenever I get one...so maybe I'll have an answer for you eventually.  Well, I can answer some of them now.  The PSP and Vita have the same aspect ratio so there's no issue with framing, and PSP games generally look pretty good on it (see this thread).

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2012, 05:47:49 PM »

Well guys I couldn't help myself.... I figured I've been a good boy consistently clearing out backlog titles (now down to only earthbound, hyperdimension MK2 and Wilds Arms Alter Code F after having polished off Final Fantasy The After Years, Atelier Rorona, Growlanser HOW and Suikoden so far this year) along with having finished all my "new titles"  of 2012 (which were only Xenoblade and Tales of Graces, but they were looong).... and thought I would treat myself to Growlanser IV today as I was just too excited to see sense in doing otherwise, adding Agarest 2 (current "new title") to the pile of backlogs for the moment...

An afternoon with it later and I'm pretty freakin' happy with my decision!.... Maybe its because clearing out the backlogs over the last few months and only playing Agarest 2 left me starved of something of this caliber... or maybe Growlanser is just that good... I don't know... Here is what I do know.....

First Impressions:
1.Awesome, awesome, AWESOME BATTLE SYSTEM! Totally what you'd expect from a Growlanser but a wee-bit faster paced and akin to Growlanser 3 (although I really liked the more real-time growlanser HOW way of things, this system doesn't seem like it will get old one bit)
2.Characters.... Again, stylistically what you'd expect from a Growlanser with "personality" right from the door. What I did notice was sort of unique that I really like is the frequency of "answer options" right from the get go.... makes my silent protagonist seem a little less quiet....
3.Narrative.... Grips you right from the start... Title takes off within minutes of starting it up... pulls you this way and that without bogging you down with any information that is not necessary... that is, a lot is going on and your informed about it without having to meander through 45 minutes of starting dialogue. I love this in the beginning of a title. Let me learn a little about the history of the environment in easily digestible portions you know?..... I have a difficult time remembering the names and roles of 13 different kingdoms, their respective races, roles, historical social contributions and current affairs along with getting introduced to a starting cast before ever getting a drop of direction as to where the main narrative is really even taking me...
4. Visuals.... Starts with a bit of a dark palette for my taste... I was dissuaded by this to find pleasantly it was not the case a brief leg into the title. While the palette becomes much more pleasing to the eye there isn't much else to be said about the visuals. I love the old sprite based look of yester-year though, and this totally delivers in that regard. Plus the small bits of anime-styled fmv which I have seen thus far are pretty as well :)
5.Audio.... LOVE the soundtrack so far... totally reminds me of the Lunar (playstation incarnations) soundtracks... Which is an absolutely wonderful thing!!
6. Something pretty cool I didn't expect... the FMV's are voiced despite the fact that you can name your MC!!! This is a stupid point to appreciate but I really enjoy getting to name my MC and I didn't think anything in this title had translated spoken audio so that was a pleasant surprise.
7. One last gameplay note.... while I already mentioned battles move at a good pace I want to also mention how smooth and quick sprites zip in towns and whatnot... I hate slow or awkward sprite control in 2-d JRPG titles... yea you always get used to it 10-hours in, but it is a personal pet-peeve of mine when I must "aim" my characters just to engage talking with NPC's.... pressing an action button to initiate conversation should not be difficult, period. Controls here are smooth as butter.
8..... oops almost forgot..... Equipment and menus... while I'm not far enough in to really feel anything out, I'm really enjoying the fact that equipment and skills seem very simple to manage.... then again anything would seem simple in contrast to Agarest 2 now wouldn't it?....

Thats all for now....... If I like the rest of this game as much as I liked the first little bit I'm going to have a lovely time with it.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »

^When I read that in my head, it sounds like you're hyperventilating. =P

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2012, 06:05:02 PM »

Our review is up if you haven't read it yet.

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Growlanser_Wayfarer_of_Time/index.html

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2012, 07:17:32 PM »

Unfortunately, with this ridiculous heat still in effect, I couldn't get out to grab it today.

Fuck Global Warming.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2012, 07:22:18 PM »

Oops.... guess my first impressions were a bit redundant.... excellent review! sorry I didn't catch it first...

Unfortunately, with this ridiculous heat still in effect, I couldn't get out to grab it today.

Fuck Global Warming.

I hear ya on the heat sucking my friend... I have to take a 120mg dose of loop diuretics on a daily basis which makes the heat freakin' unbearable to me.....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: