Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 02:15:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329965 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time hits PSP / PSN on July 31st!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time hits PSP / PSN on July 31st!  (Read 20254 times)
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2012, 09:26:23 PM »

good review.

I really wonder sometimes if you have any reviewers who aren't bothered by women wearing flashy clothes/having large breasts though -_-
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2012, 03:08:53 AM »

Got this, put a few hours in.

Man, is it me or does the pacing just... jump around a lot? It doesn't really seem smooth, but maybe they're just trying to hurry to the meat of the game past all the setup stuff.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2012, 04:13:36 AM »

good review.

I really wonder sometimes if you have any reviewers who aren't bothered by women wearing flashy clothes/having large breasts though -_-
I'm not. I enjoy it immensely. But it's a good point to make sometimes; it's not a right fit for every game.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2012, 04:17:51 AM »

Sometimes it's really just exasperating to see. I tend to think it works best in games deliberately trying to go for a ridiculous tone, like Bayonetta, but Growlanser seems relatively grounded and could've stood to have design that made more sense. It's not strictly a problem limited to women or THAT kind of clothing as the 1up review noted.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2012, 05:58:50 AM »

Agreed with Eusis. Though I would say there are very, very few games where I would say huge breasts and/or skimpy clothing is appropriate (either parodies or other select games that usually aren't serious in tone). Enjoyable to look at? Mostly. But I don't play games for that. If I want to see that, I can choose other forms of media. Plus, I've seen so much of it over the years it's more of a "not this again" response.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:01:38 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2012, 08:03:31 AM »

Agreed with Eusis. Though I would say there are very, very few games where I would say huge breasts and/or skimpy clothing is appropriate (either parodies or other select games that usually aren't serious in tone). Enjoyable to look at? Mostly. But I don't play games for that. If I want to see that, I can choose other forms of media. Plus, I've seen so much of it over the years it's more of a "not this again" response.

I can't relate to that at all.

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2012, 03:48:39 PM »

Boy it didn't take long for this game to start racking up a death toll. Yeesh.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Aeolus
The Powerbomb of the Monado!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2012, 07:13:45 PM »

I'll admit, character designs are an influence for me when I'm looking for a game. However, I will state that it's usually a minor influence at best. If the game's good enough, I'll get the game even if I don't care for the overall character designs. Other times, I've passed by games even if I actually liked the character designs since I know enough to know that JRPGs usually never do anything to their characters anyway (they'll wear the same outfits they wore when they trudged through the inevitable sewer dungeon at the start of the game all the way through to the end and never change or wash them). But never the less it is something I do look for in a game even if it is meaningless to do so.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2012, 08:16:45 PM »

Think of it this way: how exasperated would you be if a game was full of character designs that you loathed? Everyone has certain tastes when it comes to character designs (for example, Testuya Nomura's designs really kill many of the more recent FFs for me). If you like them, that's fine. Not all people are going to.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2012, 08:31:42 PM »

I can't relate to that either, since like Aeolus, character designs are a minor influence at best for me...maybe if the general artstyle was atrocious, I'd have a problem, but not character designs. I've put up with games that I thought looked ugly and usually stop caring about that one aspect after only a couple of minutes if I'm actually enjoying the game.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2012, 08:44:31 PM »

Think of it this way: how exasperated would you be if a game was full of character designs that you loathed? Everyone has certain tastes when it comes to character designs (for example, Testuya Nomura's designs really kill many of the more recent FFs for me). If you like them, that's fine. Not all people are going to.

In that case I most likely wouldn't play the game in the first place.  I guess it's different when you're a reviewer and you have to play games with artwork that doesn't match your tastes. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:52:43 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2012, 09:02:17 PM »

Alright, there's obviously the angle of better portrayals of women, but let's put that aside for now even though it inevitably intertwines on some level. Like I'm saying there's the issue of the designs matching the tone and setting for a work, and while that's far from black and white sometimes these designs seem to favoring fanservice of some sort versus being something that makes sense. It IS fantasy, so I don't necessarily expect people to look or dress like they would in reality and maybe not even the time periods works obstinately reflect, but just look at Regina's picture here. That sort of clothing makes no sense for someone who's supposed to be a skilled mercenary, and completely runs over the line of plausibility, worse I think thant he rest of the characters. Nevermind stupid touches that sometimes crop up like, say, making the boots in Samus's Zero Suit pump heels, how the fuck is that remotely a good idea for a combat suit, especially the defense-less version?

EDIT: Actually, try looking at it like a food dish. To make something really good you have to balance spices and ingredients well, and sometimes a spice simply has no place with a dish, period, even if it's your favorite one. Or there's some like cilantro that some people hate, but could tolerate in mild doses though a heavy dose will make a dish outright unpalatable.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:16:55 PM by Eusis » Logged
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2012, 10:28:53 PM »

Alright, there's obviously the angle of better portrayals of women, but let's put that aside for now even though it inevitably intertwines on some level. Like I'm saying there's the issue of the designs matching the tone and setting for a work, and while that's far from black and white sometimes these designs seem to favoring fanservice of some sort versus being something that makes sense. It IS fantasy, so I don't necessarily expect people to look or dress like they would in reality and maybe not even the time periods works obstinately reflect, but just look at Regina's picture here. That sort of clothing makes no sense for someone who's supposed to be a skilled mercenary, and completely runs over the line of plausibility, worse I think thant he rest of the characters. Nevermind stupid touches that sometimes crop up like, say, making the boots in Samus's Zero Suit pump heels, how the fuck is that remotely a good idea for a combat suit, especially the defense-less version?

EDIT: Actually, try looking at it like a food dish. To make something really good you have to balance spices and ingredients well, and sometimes a spice simply has no place with a dish, period, even if it's your favorite one. Or there's some like cilantro that some people hate, but could tolerate in mild doses though a heavy dose will make a dish outright unpalatable.

I see what you mean about the impracticality of the costumes.  I've thought the same and wondered if Wendy has trouble getting through doors for example  http://www.growlanser-realm.com/characters/wendy.htm  

I've just come to accept that the designs are pretty crazy in this series and don't make a lot of sense when looked at from an objective or practical view.  I think in a way the only recurring theme with the character costumes in the series is that there is no theme.  Everyone is wearing completely different clothes and the writing never attempts to explain why characters wear what they do, which makes the art feel detached from the writing in a sense.  It is rather strange but it doesn't bother me.  There are certainly designs in the series I don't like (Regina for one) but it's never for wardrobe practicality reasons.  
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:36:53 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2012, 10:31:25 PM »

I've just come to accept that the designs are pretty crazy in this series and don't make a lot of sense when looked at from an objective or practical view.

Ok, I admittedly can't really fight this point, it's even why I pointed out the 1up review targeting the fashion on a whole.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »

I adore the art style for these games... this one in particular.... really reminds of lodoss/slayers era fantasy stuff even more so than Y's titles do (even though this came waaay after the fact....) That said, Regina is an eye sore....period. From her attire not making sense to looking too much like a cross between early madonna and kelly from married with children her visual just totally ejects her from the realm of the cast that surrounds her IMO....

But off that subject...

What familiar did you guys end up with? Was the one you wanted or was aiming for...?

I got D-YN purely by chance and am happy with her as visually she is my favorite..... This game sure leaves me wondering "what if I..." every five minutes though.... it might actually warrant another playthrough for me due to elements like this. Very cool stuff, though it is difficult to curb my desire to reset and try things 4 different ways before moving on-LoL!

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: