Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 07:00:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334464 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time hits PSP / PSN on July 31st!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time hits PSP / PSN on July 31st!  (Read 21420 times)
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2012, 02:06:36 PM »

It is the worst, but still not bad.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2012, 04:02:59 PM »

There was also Growlanser: Heritage of War (known as Growlanser V: Generations in Japan, just to add to the confusion), which is supposed to be the worst in the series, and the only one Europe got. Publishers seem to like to do that, like us only getting Xenosaga Episode II.

Aside from the skill-plate system (which wasn't terrible.... but it was not exactly great either...) and being a wee-bit on the easy side for the franchise IMO, I love Generations... The character design really appealed to me in that title... Rufus and Melvina were freakin' waaay cool... Loved the MC's appearance... even the David Copperfield-looking Randall was alright by me.... Now Pirate-Knight Krious was a different story entirely.... way to take a white-haired sword wielding arch-type and completely remove any "bad-ass" from it at all..... but I can forgive...

I believe Growlanser 6 is a direct sequal to 5.... sporting the same battle system as well... what I would do to see that localized some day..

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2012, 06:38:31 PM »

As usual whenever Growlanser 5 gets brought up I'm gonna say that it is horribly underrated and I think it's actually better than 2 or 3.  The seamless enemy encounter system is amazing (I love how you can just run through anything you don't wanna waste time with) and I like how you can control the main character's movements realtime during battles (but if you don't want to you don't have to!).  I also think the story is very strong in 5.  The dynamic with the various nations trying to accomplish their own goals under the threat of the Admonisher is really well done.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:41:07 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Kratoscar2008
Wayfarer of forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2012, 12:25:40 AM »

As usual whenever Growlanser 5 gets brought up I'm gonna say that it is horribly underrated and I think it's actually better than 2 or 3.  The seamless enemy encounter system is amazing (I love how you can just run through anything you don't wanna waste time with) and I like how you can control the main character's movements realtime during battles (but if you don't want to you don't have to!).  I also think the story is very strong in 5.  The dynamic with the various nations trying to accomplish their own goals under the threat of the Admonisher is really well done.

I loved HoW too is WAY better than Growlanser 2 at least, i liked the Story a lot it really was great and allowed for a great first time experience as was my first Growlanser game, i fell in love instantly i like very much the Seldous Role is very good, the other Roles were good as well. Its terribly underrated because of its graphics and the changed gameplay (Altought the only difference i saw was that you control the MC everything else was the same) the skill tree is very good, it reminds me of FF8 when it came to customization and complexity.

In all this game is great and its worthy of the Growlanser name.

There was also Growlanser: Heritage of War (known as Growlanser V: Generations in Japan, just to add to the confusion), which is supposed to be the worst in the series, and the only one Europe got. Publishers seem to like to do that, like us only getting Xenosaga Episode II.

Aside from the skill-plate system (which wasn't terrible.... but it was not exactly great either...) and being a wee-bit on the easy side for the franchise IMO, I love Generations... The character design really appealed to me in that title... Rufus and Melvina were freakin' waaay cool... Loved the MC's appearance... even the David Copperfield-looking Randall was alright by me.... Now Pirate-Knight Krious was a different story entirely.... way to take a white-haired sword wielding arch-type and completely remove any "bad-ass" from it at all..... but I can forgive...

I believe Growlanser 6 is a direct sequal to 5.... sporting the same battle system as well... what I would do to see that localized some day..

Melvina is my favorite female in the series after GL3 Monica, Fanille was the "WTF" character for me with her strange outfit.

Growlanser 6 is a direct sequel and Hashen is playable (You can even change his name), actually HoW uses the same gameplay as Growlanser 6 as the original JP version had a tuned down gameplay, i enjoyed it a lot so it would be great if it gets localized.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:30:35 AM by Kratoscar2008 » Logged

The True Growlanser
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2012, 09:02:43 PM »

This is really one of Atlus USA's best localizations ever, and it's a damn shame it's getting no attention.

Every character feels unique and well-written, and I genuinely care about the cast.

Sure the original script's to thank, but it takes a bang-up translation team to do it justice.

Also, the trope continues: anyone named Christopher in a game? Still awesome.

(BTW, this is objective, but I strongly disagree with yet another Kingdom Hearts rehash being GOTM instead of this. :( )

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2012, 11:01:20 PM »

Actually that is subjective.

Also, as the summary states, the vote was VERY close - as in 'one vote broke the tie' close.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:14:38 AM by Ashton » Logged

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2012, 04:09:42 AM »

(BTW, this is objective, but I strongly disagree with yet another Kingdom Hearts rehash being GOTM instead of this. :( )

If it makes you feel any better, the vote was not unanimous. Took a lot of back and forth for us to finally pick one.

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2012, 08:07:11 AM »

Terrible!  :P
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2012, 09:24:02 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, the vote was not unanimous. Took a lot of back and forth for us to finally pick one.

To be honest, I kind of wonder how it'd have gone if the games came out in the middle of last month, rather than the last day. And from what I saw both have similar unfair bullshit design: Growlanser can stuff you into places where you have inadequate preparation chances, especially bad if this comes after loads of story or you're one of those people who wants only one save ever, while Kingdom Hearts: Derp Dee Derp can throw you out of boss fights because of an arbitrary timer, forcing you to restart them later.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:27:55 AM by Eusis » Logged
Kratoscar2008
Wayfarer of forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2012, 03:52:32 PM »

Are "nominations" like these that enables a company to keep rehashing games, a shame really only Big names get mentions as GotM or GoTY.

Very close doesnt matter really and further ensure me that brand rcognition gave KH the upper hand.

The True Growlanser
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2012, 04:09:56 PM »

Considering you don't know a thing about the debate regarding the vote, it's almost cute how you think that it was brand recognition that gave KH the award and not that some editors actually liked the gameplay over Growlanser's.

Stop whining.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »

Are "nominations" like these that enables a company to keep rehashing games, a shame really only Big names get mentions as GotM or GoTY.

Derp.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2012, 06:21:11 PM »

Very close doesnt matter really and further ensure me that brand rcognition gave KH the upper hand.

Usually those very big titles are well made, and probably the only area KH games (ones they put serious effort into) are generally agreed upon to be good at is gameplay... which can be enough. Plus I didn't elaborate enough on how an extra two weeks could've flipped things around: that'd have given Growlanser time for word of mouth to spread, and for those that got the game to sink enough time to form a real opinion. As is only importers and those with review copies could get that kind of time (obviously), and Growlanser definitely doesn't start fast, it's pacing is actually kind of bad at first though this gets better.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2012, 07:55:07 PM »

Kingdom Hearts: Derp Dee Derp

Oh, I had a good laugh. Thanks, Eusis.

Got the game today (finally). Now to see what's so special about the series...
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: August 16, 2012, 01:08:55 AM »

I agree that Wayfarer can very easily throw you into some hellish scenarios, but working around those can be pretty fun sometimes.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: