Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 01:49:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335276 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  So, Job-wise...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: So, Job-wise...  (Read 3037 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2012, 11:11:47 AM »

Pick:

-- The dream job ($) (^_^)

-- The safe job ($$) (-__-)

LEGEND:
$ - Modest income
$$ - High income
^_^ - Higher job satisfaction
-__- - Lower job satisfaction

It's an honest question, do you go after your dreams even if they take a while to (or maybe "if") they ever pay off, or do you go for what's safe and affords you a decent living?  Read into the question what you will -- whatever if's, and's, and but's you want to stipulate.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 11:21:59 AM »

I'd rather have a job I truly enjoy and make less money than make a ton of money doing a job that crushes my soul.  I can't put a price tag on my happiness and sanity. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »

Only you know what the threshold for happiness is between money and job satisfaction.

I'll say this much - money can't buy happiness, but NOT having enough can really make it harder to get. So up to a certain point, happiness and having enough money really correlate.

But after a certain point, which is probably different for everybody, more money will not make you happier.

I'd take a few minutes to read this, there have been a lot of studies about these thresholds and maybe this will help: http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/12/14/the-overjustification-effect/

TL;DR version: prevailing wisdom seems to suggest that getting paid to do what you love can sometimes be detrimental to your love of the thing itself, depending on whether the perceived rewards are intrinsic or extrinsic.

This is a tricky question and everybody's approach is going to be different and all of them are justified, frankly. Hopefully some of the formalized research on how people typically react when given this choice can be helpful to you.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:40:22 PM by dyeager » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 11:54:09 AM »

First. That's pretty much my situation and I wouldn't want it any other way. Besides, I can stretch those peanuts I get paid pretty far. Combine that with not having many wants or needs and life is quite comfortable.

On the other hand, I guess getting decent pay for a job I don't have and having enough spare time to enjoy it would be nice, too...
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:43:29 PM »

It depends, does my dream job allow me to play and enjoy video games? Does the safe job involve me clubbing baby seals? Can I survive on dream job income with an allowance of luxury purchases tgrough adequate saving (can I save up for 3 months or for 2 years for that new 42 inch plasma screen)? Is safe job giving me more money than dream job by double or triple?

Honestly, there is only 1 thing that has to be established before I take a job I wouldn't like. Let's put it into american terminology....

How much would someone have to pay a man to shovel shit? You find that number, you bought that man's soul.

...my number is definitely in the 100 dollars an hour area to consider doing it.

TASTY!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 02:00:32 PM »

I disagree with your choices. It's more like:

-Dream Job (-$) (~-~)

-$: Little to no income; sometimes an income drain.
~-~: Something you love but anything that you truly love requires work and can often be a great source of stress as the things you love can, and do, wound you the deepest.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 02:39:31 PM »

I have had one "dream job" in my life and I was steadily going broke keeping it. Having said that for the most part I do like my job and the pay is certai nly enough to keep me comfortable.

Everything's Eventual
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 02:44:04 PM »

Under the revised legend, I would suggest never underestimating the freedom a few extra bucks can provide.
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 02:47:39 PM »

Dream job, but I make this decision given that I have a fierce hatred for wasting times with things that don't interest me. (I recognize this as a character flaw, if anyone is wondering, and I know for a fact that my dream job is not an income drain.)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 04:08:43 PM »

Under the revised legend, I would suggest never underestimating the freedom a few extra bucks can provide.
What is the quote? "Those who say money =/= happiness are the ones that already have it?" Something like that.
I would say the PURSUIT of money over everything else is the problem. Unfortunately, a certain amount of money really IS needed for at least some sort of happiness. You just can't get around it. How much is what is going to vary drastically from person to person.

My dream job is to be head gardener of some palatial estate, castle, or chateau where I am allowed total creative and financial freedom to do what I want. I'd like to think this job would pay well, but in reality, unless you're on tv or something, there's not much money in it.

I guess, technically, I am currently at my safe job. I'm in the industry I aimed for, but in a position where my skills are completely wasted. The money is decent, and I'm allowed a bit of freedom, so it's hard to complain.

Still, at this point in my life, with all the expenses that having a family, and a chronic medical condition entail, I simply cannot pursue my dream job. This is why I've basically enacted them at home. My personal compromise. Build an amazing garden around a little house in the suburbs. If I could only get paid for it...

To actually answer the question, yes, I would take the dream job over the safe job, regardless of pay. Just not for another 10 years or so. *sigh*

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 04:54:11 PM »

I think I'd go with what Grim's saying.  Given the option, I think I'd take the safe job long enough to provide a good financial foundation for myself, then move to a dream job that pays less than I needed to get started.  I don't really plan to retire completely until I just can't physically do things any more - I just hope that my job now (which I actually like, most of the time) will get me enough money that I can go do something more fun later.  Of course, it helps that my dream job isn't something like "mountain climbing instructor..."

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 05:07:56 PM »

I wish I could pick door A, but right now money's too important to ignore.  I'm in a job I don't love, but I live in an area I do love and I recently bought a house.  Ideally I'd be using my degree a little more, creating sociopolitical maps or taking data samples on a coastal engineering/observation station, but for now I have to stick to this job that lets me live in a good place with good salary and benefits.  For now I'm walking through door B, but once I've decided that I'm prepared enough I'll do everything I can to switch it up. 

Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 06:27:39 PM »

I'd rather have a job I truly enjoy and make less money than make a ton of money doing a job that crushes my soul.  I can't put a price tag on my happiness and sanity. 
First. That's pretty much my situation and I wouldn't want it any other way. Besides, I can stretch those peanuts I get paid pretty far. Combine that with not having many wants or needs and life is quite comfortable.

On the other hand, I guess getting decent pay for a job I don't have and having enough spare time to enjoy it would be nice, too...

Hi people without kids. </asshat>

All in all, safe job for me. I had my dream job and it didn't pay enough. Now I have a depressing job, but I can afford to keep my family off the streets. Fair trade.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 06:34:56 PM »

WOOP FOR BEING GAY AND NOT GIVING A FLYING FUCK ABOUT CHILDREN.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 07:55:41 PM »

idk what my dream job is but it's not what I'm doing now.

I want a job where people care if I actually do well. Where I have autonomy. Where I have to THINK. Where I'm not receiving edicts from PMs to intentionally half ass everything.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: