Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 09:33:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338614 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  So, Job-wise...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: So, Job-wise...  (Read 3120 times)
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 08:36:48 PM »

Dream job, of course!

The actual position: Instructor of Music History or Music Librarian. I wouldn't mind teaching survey courses, even one dedicated to the history of Video Game Music.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 08:44:27 PM »

I chose safe job (bank manager) over dream job (artist/potter).

There was just no way I was ever going to make enough to feel secure in my dream job. I am very good at pottery, even sold out some shows in galleries when I was younger, but I can't see myself being famous enough to be one of the few who command top dollar. At least painters can produce cards and prints; its harder to sell "duplicates" of sculptures and the like.

The Bank was the only place willing to hire a deaf person after 2 years of looking when I was young. It turned out that I am very very good at boring bank stuff. My safe job is boring, but I work normal hours, can enjoy my video games and pottery after work and on weekends and make enough to support my hobbies.

I have no kids and no intention of having any so I am able to squirrel away enough money to hopefully retire a bit earlier than 65 - maybe then I'll do my "dream job"  ;-)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:46:35 PM by Aurian » Logged
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 09:27:29 PM »

I'd like a job where I can actually do some good. Frankly, as long as I make the average wage I'd be ok... I'm not a big spender.
I feel that the only thing my work does right now is make the board of directors richer.

If politics weren't so corrupted... maybe I'd go try that.

Dream job: God
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 09:35:21 PM »

Dream job: Power Rangers actor
Safe job: Doctor

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 09:57:02 PM »

my dream job would be something low risk, low pressure, and have a cool cache to it.

a couple that are baseball related:
work the manual scoreboard at wrigley field

be part of the groundscrew at a baseball stadium.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 06:51:25 AM »

I'd rather have a job I truly enjoy and make less money than make a ton of money doing a job that crushes my soul.  I can't put a price tag on my happiness and sanity. 
First. That's pretty much my situation and I wouldn't want it any other way. Besides, I can stretch those peanuts I get paid pretty far. Combine that with not having many wants or needs and life is quite comfortable.

On the other hand, I guess getting decent pay for a job I don't have and having enough spare time to enjoy it would be nice, too...

Hi people without kids. </asshat>

All in all, safe job for me. I had my dream job and it didn't pay enough. Now I have a depressing job, but I can afford to keep my family off the streets. Fair trade.

Heh, it's not like my parents had much more to spend and the five of us (two adults, three kids) had it good too. We were considered poor by many standards, but bills were paid on time, there was enough food, we had the clothes we needed, our home was nice and clean, and we could afford small luxuries if we saved up. I even had my own laptop. Sure, it was used and outdated, but with some creativity I was able to use it for years. The experience of getting that thing to do what I wanted it to do made me happier than a new laptop could have made me.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 09:05:04 AM »

Damian- fair enough.  If I had a family, I'd be singing a very different tune, especially in this economy.  But currently I am unmarried and without kids, so I gave the answer honest for me.  Looking at my financial situation, I'll probably never get married or have kids because of my school loan debt and spotty job situation since 2008.  I'm not even sure if I even want to marry and have kids.  Let's just say a lot of things have disillusioned me since 2008.

That's why I love being a special ed TA.  It pays shit, but it's the most fulfilling job I've ever had.  I may not have kids of my own, but I'm making a difference in the kids I help teach.  If I could do this for the rest of my life, I'd be alright.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 09:27:24 AM »

my dream job would be something low risk, low pressure, and have a cool cache to it.

When I retire, I'm going to try to get a job at the nearest minor league stadium and be an usher. Just one of those old dudes that shows people to their seats, wipes them down, and talks about baseball all day.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »

I guess I'm lucky.  My dream job is being a chef, and my cooking job is a hell of a lot safer than other jobs in my profession.  A hospital is far less likely to shut down than a restaurant.  I get insurance too!

Do I make a lot of money?  Fuck no.  Do I NEED a lot of money?  Not really.  I live comfortably, can pay my bills, buy good food, and have enough money at the end of the month to put away for a rainy day AND enough to fuel my hobbies.  Can't really ask for more than that.

Just gotta keep wrapping it up good to avoid getting one of those money leeches in my life. :P

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 07:25:39 PM »

When I retire, I'm going to try to get a job at the nearest minor league stadium and be an usher. Just one of those old dudes that shows people to their seats, wipes them down, and talks about baseball all day.

Sounds awesome.

As it stands my goal is either nurse practitioner or nurse anesthetist
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 03:11:27 AM »

Dream Job: Sex Worker
Safe Job: Pimp/Sex Worker
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 06:09:26 AM »

Dream Job: Indie game developer(working on it albeit slowly)
Safe Job: What I'm doing now I guess.(well I start the new job on Monday)

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v1879401177E2TNX5?h1=Tales+of+Fraud+and+Malfeasance+in+Railroad+Hiring+Practices
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 07:54:28 PM »

Delete!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:15:31 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: