Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 07:48:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338137 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Now Valve is Trying to Stop People Suing Them, Too
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Now Valve is Trying to Stop People Suing Them, Too  (Read 1138 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:51:11 AM »

http://kotaku.com/5930705/now-valve-is-trying-to-stop-people-suing-them-too

Can't wait to see people try and defend this.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:31:39 AM »

I can come up with a "defense": everyone's doing it so there's no good reason to hold this against Valve specifically.

It is, however, another reason to be angry with AT&T and the Supreme Court, not unless someone challenges this and whoops, you actually can't do that assholes.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 04:00:05 AM »

Not trying to single Valve out as worse than the rest.

More like they're no better than the rest.

And yeah, you have to agree to it or lose your games.

"If you don't agree to the amendments or to any of the terms in this Agreement, your only remedy is to cancel your Account or to cease use of the affected Subscription(s). Valve shall not have any obligation to refund any fees that may have accrued to your Account before cancellation of your Account or cessation of use of any Subscription, nor shall Valve have any obligation to prorate any fees in such circumstances. "
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:03:18 AM by Lard » Logged

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 03:45:55 PM »

I can come up with a "defense": everyone's doing it so there's no good reason to hold this against Valve specifically.

Exactly.  They would be stupid not to do this.  There is no reason not to do it.  If they fuck up and cause some kind of harm, you can still sue them regularly.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »

Exactly.  They would be stupid not to do this.  There is no reason not to do it.  If they fuck up and cause some kind of harm, you can still sue them regularly.

In a strict business sense, yeah, it makes sense that they'd be stupid not to do this since it's in their best interest.  But by that same logic, you'd be stupid not to be opposed to this move by Valve since it is an anti-consumer move, and you are a consumer.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »

Yeah, I meant in a business sense.

Personally from a consumer standpoint, yeah, I think it sucks but I'm so pessimistic about these kinds of things that I don't think consumer friendly policies are going to be getting better anytime soon.

I wonder if they waited this long to do this to try and wait out the furor over Sony/MS doing it?  Or maybe the recent steam hack scared them into it?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 07:21:31 PM »

I'll withhold comment until a credible source picks this up (and not just sites Kotaku like a bunch of lazy fucks).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 08:58:55 PM »

It's already in the EULA, I just read it over. The part they're talking about is Bolded and Underlined. I don't like Kotaku anymore than anyone else, but they actually have a credible source this time.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 09:05:36 PM »

I'll withhold comment until a credible source picks this up (and not just sites Kotaku like a bunch of lazy fucks).

You mean like Steam itself when you try logging in?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 11:11:46 PM »

Yeah, I meant in a business sense.

Personally from a consumer standpoint, yeah, I think it sucks but I'm so pessimistic about these kinds of things that I don't think consumer friendly policies are going to be getting better anytime soon.

I wonder if they waited this long to do this to try and wait out the furor over Sony/MS doing it?  Or maybe the recent steam hack scared them into it?

It was the EU ruling that said you could resell digital goods.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: