Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 03:00:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334647 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fire Emblem entry
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Fire Emblem entry  (Read 3460 times)
Kratoscar2008
Wayfarer of forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 09:39:25 AM »

I have only nearly ended both FE (Eliwood as MC) and sacred stones and FE is my favorite because you take the role of the tactician and i love silent protagonist or faceless ones, i was sad that no othe FE use it.

I wanted to try FE6 (Roy as MC) but i didnt liked that Spoiler:

Hector and Eliwood died, stopped playing after they died because i was so sad.

The True Growlanser
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 11:14:17 AM »

FE11 (I'm referring to the 3DS one, yo!) not only allows you to create your own character but s/he comes in with the Strategist class which is exclusive to MU and his/her kid Mark. Additionally when picking out your MU's appearance you can choose to keep your MU mute. Also, I should clarify that this MU is playable on the field rather than just showing up at cutscenes like FE7's Mark did (not to say that your MU won't).

And then there's FEDS2 (the DS remake of FE3 Book2 and the DS game that wasn't released outside of Japan) which also has the option of creating a MU (My Unit) that, while not a tactician, can also be similarly defined by the player and with further options that are unlocked later on throughout the game (though I don't think being mute is one of them). It's a crying shame that this game didn't get released outside of Japan.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 02:05:52 PM »

It's a crying shame that this game didn't get released outside of Japan.
I agree with that. I've seen far too many posters dismiss it and imply it's a poor game solely because it's not getting localized. Sour grapes IMO.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 06:30:26 PM »

ive played it and still think its a poor game

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 10:59:48 PM »

And the reason you gave was that it's "sexist", despite the top 4 out of 5 best characters in the game being female. I don't think that holds much weight.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 12:51:16 AM »

I thought the reason why she bashed it was because it looked boring and ugly (even though she also dislikes FFVI for similar reasons).

Or was it because of the lack of support conversations?

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »

Honestly forgot if that was the case. There are tons of support convos in the game though, as many or more than previous FEs with support convos. My Unit alone has a support convo with almost every recruitable character in the game. As for being ugly, well they didn't change the pre-rendered battle animation sprites, but that never bothered me. I was never into the cartoony FE7 look.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 10:38:04 PM »

I'll reiterate what everyone else said: FE7 is a good place to start.  I think that FE8 is a little too easy/forgiving; the only Fire Emblem games I've played to completion are 4, 6, 7, and 8, and 8 was my least favorite of the four. 

Bu...but but 8 has awesome implied twincest! We can't ignore that!

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 11:32:32 PM »

I'll reiterate what everyone else said: FE7 is a good place to start.  I think that FE8 is a little too easy/forgiving; the only Fire Emblem games I've played to completion are 4, 6, 7, and 8, and 8 was my least favorite of the four.  

Hey, if I wanted to have some Fire Emblem incest, I'd just have Aira marry her cousin in FE4.  For whatever reason, Aira/Holyn is one of the most powerful combinations in the game and incest is really useful in general in FE4.  I think I need to go cry in the shower....

I'm a little weird when it comes to the FE GBA games - I've played each of them multiple times and (no joke) some of my first gaming forum escapades were arguing about FE characters and strategies.  I was Fire Emblem-obsessed from around 2004 to 2007.  And of the four that I've actually finished, Sacred Stones is my least favorite.  

I'll elaborate.  FE8 lets you level-grind on random maps (making it WAY easier and less risky than every other FE game ever); FE8 has 10-20 fewer units than FE6 or FE7, which is lame, but allows branching promotions, which are kinda cool sometimes; FE8's units are by far the strongest in any FE game I've ever even tried, which means all of 1-10 other than 2 and 3 (easier and less risky than every other FE game ever).  I like Fire Emblem games because of their huge casts of characters (good replayability), huge potential for different strategies and team setups, and their great balance of challenge.  FE8 was too easy, its cast was too small, and its characters are all RNG-proof powerhouses.  If you compare characters of the same classes in FE6-7-8, different archetypes clearly have higher bases and averages with each game, with a few weird exceptions like FE6's Karel or FE7's Oswin.  FE7 is my favorite balance of character variety and power - FE6 has too many useless characters and FE8's cast is too small and strong.  

...Damn.  Now I want to replay FE7 or get off my ass and try FE9.  I didn't own a Gamecube or Wii until around 2 years ago, and I never got around to play more than an hour of Path of Radiance (which seemed pretty good).  Maybe I'll give it a shot once I'm done with some other Nintendo stuff.  
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 11:44:31 PM by Monsoon » Logged

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 12:02:05 AM »

If you play FE9 and you're a serious, hardcore FE fan (which it sounds like you are), do yourself a favor and play the Japanese version that has Mania mode. The US version does FE9 a disservice by removing Mania mode. It will give you a good behind kicking much like FE7 HHM mode or FE12 Lunatic mode.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 12:39:10 AM by mjrpgfan » Logged
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 12:55:51 AM »

about the sexism thing. that was more in reference to characters of opposite genders in the same default class as well as my unit. nowhere is this more appearant than mage/sage i think Linde/female MU is stasistically better than any male mage but theres no getting around aircalibur being male only. the gender restrictions on female MU pissed me off because male MU can break those restrictions if you beat it on hard. also you cant make a female MU  a knight/general despite there being female general in the game thats recruitable. luckily several good female characters in radiant dawn  made me forget all about that game.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 01:42:46 AM »

Alisha: ...the specific differences between male and female units totally turned you off from an entire game?  That's... damn, I dunno what to say.  You weren't okay with a female mage sans Aircalibur or something like a myrmidon or a mounted unit?  Whatever, I suppose it's your loss. 

mjrpgfan: I guess I'm pretty serious, but Thracia 776 was too much for me.  I was able to beat Hector Hard, but it was a struggle at times to say the least, I consulted a guide more often than I would normally prefer, and I had a few units die (incl. one of my fave regulars....).  The only reason I even tried it is because FE7 is my favorite in the series; I'm okay with missing out on a Mania difficulty on FE9.  And I might try out Shadow Dragon instead of Path of Radiance, I dunno what my next game to play is quite yet. 

But I should mention: I wasn't really aware of the missed DS game until reading this thread, so the one time I was really annoyed about missing out on some Japan-only FE stuff was when the Super Trainees were nerfed in FE8.  That's three interesting, powerful optional builds for three characters that they nerf hideously for NO REASON.  Whatever, Berserker + Shaman + AmeliaIsGoodAtEverything is the way to go for those three, I guess.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 12:41:09 PM »

I'll reiterate what everyone else said: FE7 is a good place to start.  I think that FE8 is a little too easy/forgiving; the only Fire Emblem games I've played to completion are 4, 6, 7, and 8, and 8 was my least favorite of the four. 

Hey, if I wanted to have some Fire Emblem incest, I'd just have Aira marry her cousin in FE4.  For whatever reason, Aira/Holyn is one of the most powerful combinations in the game and incest is really useful in general in FE4.  I think I need to go cry in the shower....

But Holyn's only a distant cousin to Aira. Now if you really want some questionable pairings you could always pair Shanan with Lakche (bonus points for being predestined lovers to begin with) or you could pair Lex and Aira then have Lakche pair with Johan (because seriously, who would pick the other one), Nanna with Aless (to make up for Lachesis not being able to get it on with Eltshan), Lester and Patty and Lana and Faval (to make up for their mothers' inability to take the lesbian twins route), and of course, if you're willing to abuse a bug, Celice and Julia (although...).

about the sexism thing. that was more in reference to characters of opposite genders in the same default class as well as my unit. nowhere is this more appearant than mage/sage i think Linde/female MU is stasistically better than any male mage but theres no getting around aircalibur being male only. the gender restrictions on female MU pissed me off because male MU can break those restrictions if you beat it on hard. also you cant make a female MU  a knight/general despite there being female general in the game thats recruitable. luckily several good female characters in radiant dawn  made me forget all about that game.

You left out how they retconned Malice's class from Mercenary to Myrmidon (I mean, at least they let Sheema keep her status as the series only default female General). At least FE11's Selena makes up for it in spades (defaults as a Mercenary, guaranteed access to two of the best non character exclusive class trees in the game, nevermind whatever her inheritance bonus will be as she's guaranteed to come away with at least one other full class tree even with her mother's worst pairing).

Also, if I remember correctly the only good female characters in FE10 were Titania, Nephene, Mia, and Jill. The rest were either screwed over due to poor availability (seriously Lucia?; all you could manage was one stage before Part 4?; and you had to be a Jeigan for it no less?), poor class caps (re: almost every magic user in the game), stage mechanics screwing them over (hey Fiora, guess how many Dawn Brigade stages have wide open spaces or long corridors for you to race through on your horse?; if you guessed the one with just Mickey and her special guest and the final one then congratulate yourself with a spot on the bench), or that dumb as fuck weaponizing staffs mechanic (sorry Mickey, can't let you near the front line while on staffbot duties).

Kratoscar2008
Wayfarer of forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 09:15:02 PM »

FE11 (I'm referring to the 3DS one, yo!) not only allows you to create your own character but s/he comes in with the Strategist class which is exclusive to MU and his/her kid Mark. Additionally when picking out your MU's appearance you can choose to keep your MU mute. Also, I should clarify that this MU is playable on the field rather than just showing up at cutscenes like FE7's Mark did (not to say that your MU won't).

And then there's FEDS2 (the DS remake of FE3 Book2 and the DS game that wasn't released outside of Japan) which also has the option of creating a MU (My Unit) that, while not a tactician, can also be similarly defined by the player and with further options that are unlocked later on throughout the game (though I don't think being mute is one of them). It's a crying shame that this game didn't get released outside of Japan.

Does MU has a pairing posibility or MU is unexistant (Sorry if i made that word) on the game plot?

The True Growlanser
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »

MU can pair with something like 9-10 characters (heterosexual relationships only, so something like 5 for each sex) and can give birth / father a child.  

EDIT: oh wow I'm totally wrong.  After doing some research, apparently My Unit can marry ANY CHARACTER in the game, including the Lord.  Basically, MU is a second main character that can marry / support anyone.  Heterosexual only.  I shouldn't go running my mouth like that. 

...Honestly, I'd be more interested in Kakusei if it was on something besides the 3DS, but I'm a 3DS disdainer so there ya go.  I'm currently (finally) starting Shadow Dragon and will probably fire up Path of Radiance later this year.  It's been too long since I've had a Fire Emblem kick.  
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:30:12 PM by Monsoon » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: