Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 12:54:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327557 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The sports thread- 2012 edition
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: The sports thread- 2012 edition  (Read 5398 times)
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 10:30:34 AM »

http://sportsonearthblog.com/2012/07/31/nbc-is-ignoring-twitter-diehards-and-rightfully-so/

TL;DR - The target audience for NBC is not die hard fans of any of the individual sports.

I like sports in general, but baseball is far and away my favorite. Soccer/football (not throwball) is second. Boxing used to be third but it has been replaced with MMA, due in large part to my wife who got into it before I ever did. Hockey is 4th.

But I mean, in the end I'm into baseball probably twice as much as all of those others combined.

For playing, I played baseball and basketball in high school and still enjoy it, but don't play in an organized league. I play dodgeball, wiffle ball, and kickball in Delaware Sports League, which is an actual organized thing but not seriously competitive by any stretch of the imagination. I have very slowly been coming around to golf, which I used to hate mostly because I sucked so badly and couldn't figure out how to get better for awhile. But I like not understanding how to improve at a thing even less than sucking at it, so I got some help and have been slowly improving.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »

I just looked up the 2014 Winter games. They're in Sochi, Russia? Never heard of it.

That's what's cool about the Winter Games.  They're sometimes in locations you've never heard of before, like Lillehammer Norway or Nagano Japan. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 05:52:40 PM »

http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/article/1148979--what-if-every-olympic-sport-was-photographed-like-beach-volleyball
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »

Yes...wouldn't that be just terrible...

Terrible.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 11:16:31 PM »

Football football and more football. Of the American kind.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 05:28:04 PM »

We are all watching our own Olympics.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 06:41:09 PM »

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:43:39 PM by John » Logged

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 09:49:33 PM »

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks "Blitzball!" whenever water polo is on.

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 09:52:17 PM »

That was a pretty cool article (now I'm kinda embarrassed never to have heard of Grainger before).  Thanks for posting that.

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 09:01:11 AM »

I still have to wonder about the womens' beach volleyball uniforms.  They're constantly pulling out wedgies, so doesn't it stand to reason that shorts with more booty coverage would be better?  Sure, I like looking at womens' butts as much, if not more than, the next guy, but this is a sport, not a bikini contest.  I understand that some sport outfits may look ridiculous but serve a purpose (i.e. I look ridiculous in my full lycra/spandex cycling kit, but it serves a purpose to optimize my riding), but bikini bottoms that ride up have got to be a pain in the butt to play a competitive sport in. 

Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 10:01:41 AM »

Big sports fan here.

Favorite sport to watch and play is basketball. Love the Boston Celtics, it was painful to watch them lose to my most hated team, the heat. I like what the Celtics have done in the off season though.

Also like to play-
Tennis
Golf
Wiffle Ball ( I actually played in some tournament a few years ago, it is INSANE what some people can do with pitching that ball)

Also like to watch-
Baseball- Mets fan ( not an easy thing to be)
Football- Detriot Lions fan (was not easy being one for a long time, just has started to get better
Golf- My dads love of golf has made me a life long fan.

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »

John, that pic made me laugh my butt off!

It looks like he's being slugged in the face by an invisible hand (insert Adam Smith economics joke here)

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 11:11:47 PM »

http://gawker.com/5932333/american-rowers-third-place-in-rowing-first-in-boners
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 10:49:13 AM »

I'm not totally unathletic but I'm not a fan of playing sports. Or watching them, even, really. I played lacrosse in high school, and since then pretty much nothing. I just never could take it as seriously as people do. I could never get past the simple fact that "it's just a game" which kinda prevents me from being super competitive. I do like to stay in shape so I just run/cycle/lift. Blasting music in my headphones while I work out is infinitely more enjoyable to me than playing sports.
I'm sure I'd watch ESPN now and again if I had cable, but I don't, so whatever.
Being from Syracuse, I am obliged to pretend I care if the Orange win every year.

I do love skateboarding and snowboarding, though. I doubt that will ever change.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 10:50:18 AM »

McKayla Maroney is not impressed.  http://mckaylaisnotimpressed.tumblr.com/post/29023496287

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: