Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 05:59:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334409 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The sports thread- 2012 edition
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: The sports thread- 2012 edition  (Read 5915 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2012, 01:48:47 PM »

What with the Olympics being in full swing, why not have a sports topic?  

So what sports do you generally enjoy?  Which ones do you enjoy playing/participating in?  Which ones do you enjoy watching?  Do you have any teams or athletes that you like?  Is there anything else about your relationship with sports that you wish to share?  

My answer:
When it comes to sports, I generally prefer to go out and play them rather than sit on my fat butt watching them.  However, I do actively watch Olympics, World Cup soccer, Le Tour de France, and the NHL playoffs.  I'm not glued to the TV, though, because I may watch for an hour or so, then decide to shut off the TV and go work out or ride my bicycle.  Again, it's my desire to do rather than just sit on the sidelines.  However, the sport I would most actively watch is ice hockey because I cannot skate if my life depended on it.  And with the Olympics, I most enjoy watching events like kayaking because that's not something you see every day.  

Those who know me know my absolute favorite sport is road cycling, both to watch and the participate in.  I've been an avid cyclist since summer 2008 (it's how I got on track to losing 80 or so pounds).  And, yes, I *am* one of those shaved legs/spandex/lycra warriors.  Okay, I've never raced competitively, but I do enjoy doing long distance group bike rides.  Longest I've ever ridden is 40 miles.  I also enjoy playing a rousing game of ultimate frisbee (go figure, I love ultimate, but do not enjoy playing American football at all.  Soccer (aka real football) is fun to play, though.)  And a part of me is considering getting back into martial arts.  I did Tae Kwon Do as a kid.    

As for my relationship with sport, I find it very amusing that a lot of my friends think that riding bicycles is all I do so it blows their mind that I spend as much, if not more, time in the gym doing weight training as I do "on the roll."  I'm still working on cracking the "200 pound bench" club (I can bench 185 pounds now.)  The 100 kg club would be sweet.  I still won't forget this one girl's surprise that I actually lifted and didn't just ride bicycles and when she dared me to show my guns, her reaction was, "Whoa!  I didn't know you were packing THOSE under your sleeves!  You DO work out!"  Guess she had low standards since my guns are not very impressive.  

Yep, I'm pretty evenly split between being a nerd, a jock, and a rebel.  /Brooktown High reference.  
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:06:34 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 02:08:06 PM »

enjoy watching;
olympics
baseball
hockey
football, usa

In general I only enjoy watching "my teams"

enjoy playing
walleyball
ultimate frisbee

I'd love to find a place to try curling.

I bowl every week.

I also enjoy riding the bike, jogging, and hitting the gym up sometimes

I love attending baseball games and especially love road trips to see new parks.

I have an open mind but soccer does not interest me at all. But I keep that shit to myself since it's just an opinion. I do like all the nationalism and hype it gets overseas. There's a local MLS team here. The stadium is (from what I heard) usually packed with Polish and Mexican people. I heard it's a good time.

edit: my brother is one of them lunatics that does the iron man every year. So he does 50mile bike rides or some shit. I thought about joining him one weekend. I usually do 20. I usually stop there because I get bored riding the same loop. I'd need a new bike though. Mine sucks and hurts my manhood to sit on it. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:17:53 PM by Yoda » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 02:32:05 PM »

Padded shorts and an ergonomic saddle definitely go a long way in making long rides comfortable.  Oh, and stuff like Bag Balm is fantastic for chafing and saddle sores.  It's like petroleum jelly on turbo.  Bag Balm is used by farmers in Vermont to help prevent and relieve chafing of cow udders and is sold at Walgreens.  In terms of a bike body, if you can afford lugged steel or carbon fiber, go with it.  Aluminum-bodied bicycles, you feel every rough patch in the road, so I trained myself to stand whenever I roll over a rough patch. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:37:27 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 02:42:07 PM »

I'm actually not that into watching sports, but I did enjoy the archery. I think because the scoring system is very easy to understand and it is fairly quick.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 03:09:02 PM »

I grew up a baseball fanatic. My dad was a coach, and all four of us boys played at least a few years. I sucked, though, so I stopped playing and just went to all the games to cheer on my brothers.
I watched some professional baseball, but never really attached myself to a team or anything. I don't remember when I stopped caring, but haven't done anything baseball-like for probably 20 years.
I've never cared for football or hockey. I watched Basketball for awhile when the Bulls were kicking ass, but gave up on that as well.
Basically, watching other people play sports really doesn't do much for me. The only time I do it now is when the Olympics come on every 2 years. I ask myself why I care about this, but not about "regular" sports like a lot of people do. Could be the super short  2 1/2 week commitment. Or the fact that none of these people are making 5 million a year and whining about it. Could just be spectacle of it all. I'm not really sure.
I might like to participate in some sports, but I have no one to play with, and my crappy health would keep me from doing anything too intense.
I got into riding my bike for awhile, but it was mostly an excuse to visit Forest Preserves and parks. I haven't done it recently because it's too hard on my back and bottom.
So I really don't do any kind of sport thing anymore. I walk a lot, but that's just walking. I don't watch much TV at all, because I'd rather be doing something than watching somebody else do something.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »

Padded shorts and an ergonomic saddle definitely go a long way in making long rides comfortable.  Oh, and stuff like Bag Balm is fantastic for chafing and saddle sores.  It's like petroleum jelly on turbo.  Bag Balm is used by farmers in Vermont to help prevent and relieve chafing of cow udders and is sold at Walgreens.  In terms of a bike body, if you can afford lugged steel or carbon fiber, go with it.  Aluminum-bodied bicycles, you feel every rough patch in the road, so I trained myself to stand whenever I roll over a rough patch. 

It's more a seat angle thing for me and I can't adjust it.

I'm just going to hit up craigslist and see what kind of deal I can find.
Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 06:04:52 PM »

I'm not so much a fan of the summer olympics, although I'd really like to watch me some ping-pong, frickin love ping-pong.

Watching:
-NHL hockey is my #1, but I typically only watch Florida Panthers games (if they're on) during the regular season.  Always love some Stanley Cup Playoff action though no matter what the teams are.
-College & NFL football - Bowling Green & Ohio State, Cleveland Browns
-Sometimes baseball, but only the Cleveland Indians
-Anything in the winter olympics, even curling

Playing:
-Anything with a racquet or paddle (tennis, badminton, racquetball, ping-pong)
-Golf
-Used to play hockey when I was in college, but now I have trouble ice skating, which is depressing because I absolutely loved it even though I wasn't very good
-Sometimes basketball

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 06:16:03 PM »

Just having the Olympics on in the background - so far I mostly tune in if its (1) a Canadian (2) something that is a bit more interesting to me like gymnastics or medal rounds.

Sports I watch:
- Hockey, Go Canucks Go!   [spoiler] or at least don't choke... please...? [/spoiler]

Sports I do:
In my early 20s I was good at Tae Kwon Do and got a third place medal in sparring at a province-wide tournament. Unfortunately, my back was really messed up when someone rear-ended my car at 50km/m (yeah, cause your cell phone was more important than seeing a car stopped at a red light) and between that an a tweaked wrist, I wasn't able to get back into it regularly without putting my back out.

So what I do is more date things with my husband for fun - bowling, pitch&putt golf, skating, biking. Nothing regularly.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »

OLYMPIC MEDAL TABLE (total medals):

1. Great Britain & the Former Colonies
2. China
3. Japan
4. France
5. Germany
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 07:09:04 PM »

College Football
MMA
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 10:34:44 PM »

Favorite sports, from most-favorite to least-most-favorite.  I went to an ACC school and that accounts for 99% of my college sports fandom. 

NCAA basketball
NFL football (Baltimore Ravens fan)
NBA basketball (Washington Bullets Wizards)
International basketball (USA! USA!)
International futbol (USA!)
NCAA football
Olympic sports (track, swimming, gymnastics, etc.)
MLB baseball (Washington Nationals)
MLS soccer (D.C. United)
MMA + boxing
NHL hockey (Washington Capitals)
NCAA soccer

I grew up in the DC metro area, and so did both of my parents.  I'm generally a DC sports fan, except I lovelovelove the mid-90s Baltimore Orioles (hate Pete Angelos, though) and had a sports divorce with the Redskins several years ago. 

Right now?  All Olympics, all the time.  I've loved watching Team USA Basketball since seeing the original Dream Team when I was six years old. 

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 12:43:52 AM »

I am currently watching a replay of USA vs Australia in archery. We're winning! ('We' being Australia). That said, we're not doing all that well this olympics.

I really like archery, it's probably my favourite sport. In high school I played a whole bunch of stuff including basketball, squash, rugby, cricket, swimming, softball, and probably other stuff I can't remember. My favourite at the time was cross country though, and I ran that for years. I still go running now and then, but it's hard to find time for it.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 12:52:30 AM »

Is it just me or does it seem like this year's Olympic Games are plavued by scandal and overabuse of drama? The shit with the badminton teams, the female swimmer who broke the record so hard people assumed she was using drugs, the twitter stupidity, and Ryan Lochte just being a stooge? Idk...this seems more like Olympic Jersey Shore than anything.

TASTY!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 07:31:42 AM »

Because that's what NBC thinks people will want to watch.  It is, as you say, slanted, stilted, and edited to appeal to the "reality drama" crowd (of lowest-common-denominator nincompoops.) And you forgot this lovely story:   http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--new-zealander-used-brothel-to-fund-olympic-taekwondo-training.html

Who cares about Travis Stevens (judo) fighting like a lion with his face all bloodied up and bandaged like a mummy?  That's the Olympic spirit, but nobody will ever know that, because judo isn't prime time worthy like swimming or gymnastics.  Where you have pro athletes putting themselves on the disabled list with stubbed toes, this guy showed everybody up like a true badass.  But nobody will ever know about his display of zanshin.  

The London games have me a bit disillusioned.  I am looking forward to the Rio games, though.  
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:02:56 AM by Dincrest » Logged

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »

Then there's the ever present Ryan Seacrest, which is an obvious ploy to appeal to the younger demographic. The guy really doesn't bother me that much, but I get tired of seeing his face everywhere.

I just looked up the 2014 Winter games. They're in Sochi, Russia? Never heard of it.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: