Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 10:01:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330065 Posts in 13526 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The sports thread- 2012 edition
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: The sports thread- 2012 edition  (Read 5629 times)
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 10:58:57 AM »

Dwight Howard to the Lakers.. O SNAP.

Should definitely make them much better. They still may be a little old though, and not much bench. The magic are incredibly stupid and should have taken the much better deal from the Nets awhile ago.

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2012, 11:17:17 AM »

Okay, seriously?!?!?!  This is not cool. 

http://deadspin.com/5941364/the-usta-told-this-stellar-junior-player-she-was-too-fat-for-the-us-open

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2012, 12:13:55 PM »

Geez. Whatever happened to judging someone by their skill and not their scale?
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2012, 06:49:47 PM »

Love that play on words, Aurian.  

But, yeah, it kinda sucks how a lot of sports are more about how good you look playing them than how well you play.  Womens' tennis has been bad about that in the past.  Anna Kournikova, anyone?

Even looking at mainstream music nowadays, it's more about how cool you look with a guitar rather than whether you can actually play. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:52:42 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2012, 09:57:01 PM »

Well, music, there's always autotune to make someone sound better, no? Its easier to market a pretty face and so so skill than the reverse. Damn marketers.

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2012, 12:33:02 AM »

Duke University might get their 2010 basketball championship revoked, or at the very least force the NCAA to take a stand on their questionable policies: link to article

I went to an ACC school other than Duke, so I'm mostly a Duke hater.  I was rooting for Butler in that title game.  Still, even if Duke doesn't lose their title, this is a big fuckin' deal for the NCAA, because this is a major school potentially in violation of policy.  I'm interested to see how this turns out. 

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2012, 09:59:27 PM »

Growing up in ACC territory I HATE Duke basketball with a passion, but I honestly hope the program does not get penalized for this, I want them to lose on the court. not in the "courts".

Everything's Eventual
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 11:17:23 AM »

If there isn't NHL this season, expect me to be cranky this winter. :-(

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 12:30:58 PM »

Norte Dame is joining the ACC. What. The. Fuck.

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2012, 01:12:27 PM »

NHL - the lockouts are getting ridiculous. The owners have no self-control over their spending. And for gods sake, stop trying to force hockey into places that have ZERO interest!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »

Agreed.  We all know what happened to the Atlanta Thrashers. 

When it comes to pro sports, I don't care much about football (American), baseball, or even basketball so much.  But I do enjoy me some hockey, "true" football (aka soccer), and bicycle racing (my favorite).  So a winter without hockey won't be much fun.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2012, 02:43:55 PM »

it is of my opinion that soccer is the worst sport ever invented. it's great for pickup games but why anyone would want to watch endless hours of back and forth juggling for a nil nil tie is beyond me.

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2012, 02:48:02 PM »

it is of my opinion that soccer is the worst sport ever invented. it's great for pickup games but why anyone would want to watch endless hours of back and forth juggling for a nil nil tie is beyond me.

Soccer ranks behind only baseball as my favorite sport to watch.

However it is a distant second, baseball wins. Always.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2012, 02:51:45 PM »

To be fair I love the national pride and excitement that surrounds soccer. If I ever have a chance to see a match in a country that adores it I probably will.

In a related note I'm going to see a baseball game in Japan whenever I go.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2012, 02:54:42 PM »

To be fair I love the national pride and excitement that surrounds soccer. If I ever have a chance to see a match in a country that adores it I probably will.

In a related note I'm going to see a baseball game in Japan whenever I go.

I love watching the Philadelphia Union in MLS - great atmosphere at those games.

I have also followed Newcastle United (long story) in the Premier League for about 15 years. I regularly watch them at a bar near me that has the Prem package with other Prem fans on Saturday/Sunday mornings. It's a lot of fun.

I think my favorite part of soccer is how FAST the games are. Games are basically guaranteed to be over in 2 hours due to the way timekeeping works. Plus no commercials.

I still think baseball is the most perfectly paced sport due to the way nothing happens... until suddenly, it does.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: