Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 07:16:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334781 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Famitsu Poll - Best Game Ever -
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Famitsu Poll - Best Game Ever -  (Read 14061 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2006, 05:22:05 PM »

Quote from: "Vagrant"
A 'best videogames ever'-list without Super Metroid and Castlevania:SotN?

Pathetic...

Good call, mofo. Two of the DEFINING 2D games of all video game history and Famitsu fucking forgets them? Hell, those two games beat out most of the Final Fantasy games combined.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2006, 05:38:04 PM »

Hot damn. People really like them some Squaresoft :P

I'm really suprised, however, that every freaking numbered Final Fantasy title found its way onto the list. Wow.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2006, 05:50:47 PM »

It's Japan, so it is anything but surprising. Besides, it has already been Square Enix for three years now :P.
Morridor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2006, 06:09:11 PM »

All of the main Dragon Quest titles are up there as well, but then again, Dragon Quest is the most popular RPG in Japan.  I still haven't found out if this is completely true or not, but wasn't a law passed that a Dragon Quest title can not be released on a week day because too many people would call off from work to get it?  So Dragon Quest titles are only released on weekends in Japan.

Danny

Yeah, this signature was way too spammy.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2006, 06:16:06 PM »

A law? Nonsense. Japan is no banana republic. It was just observed that a lot of students and employees would either appear at their school, university of office late or not at all when a Dragon Quest game is released on a workday. I guess someone even calculated the economic loss created by those absentees. To make a long story short, Square Enix of course understood this problem and hence simply agreed to release the games on Saturdays.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2006, 09:46:21 PM »

This list is BS.
When you mentioned a crappy plot twist, Professor Gast, I knew which one you were talking about even before reading the spoilers, because yes, that was terrible.
Dyne

CronoDyne CronoDyne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2006, 11:43:36 PM »

Quote from: "Dade the Ass McLaren"
Quote from: "Vagrant"
A 'best videogames ever'-list without Super Metroid and Castlevania:SotN?

Pathetic...

Good call, mofo. Two of the DEFINING 2D games of all video game history and Famitsu fucking forgets them? Hell, those two games beat out most of the Final Fantasy games combined.

Although Super Metroid isn't my favorite game, I at least agree with SotN.  That game is just purley fantastic.  One of my favorite games of all times.  I have literally beaten it over 6 times (a HUGE stretch for me) and am still not sick of it.

Currently Playing:

PS2
- Tales of Legendia
- Grandia III

PSP
- Tales of Eternia

Waiting for...
- Kingdom Hearts II
- Suikoden V
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2006, 12:34:29 AM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
It's Japan, so it is anything but surprising. Besides, it has already been Square Enix for three years now :P.

Still, out of thousands of games? I guess I didn't realize how popular/influuencial the really was.

Now I'm kind of curious to see the '100 best games' list by American standards. I know FFVII and X would make it up there, but what about the rest?
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2006, 12:53:37 AM »

I am very pleased that Final Fantasy IV made #6. I honestly thought all ym favorites won't make the cut, but the one game that got me into RPG's did.

FFX is good, better than FVII - IX in my opinion, but I do not think it was that great.

So yea a favorite game of mine made it in a good spot, but majority didnt.

Wheres Digital Devil Saga?
Wheres any Suikoden game? (preferably II)
Skies of Arcadia? Grandia II?

Oh well, an opinion is an opinion though I did not really expect Japan to priase games like GTA that high.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Dyne

CronoDyne CronoDyne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2006, 02:13:50 AM »

Quote from: "TurnBasedDude"

Wheres Digital Devil Saga?
Wheres any Suikoden game? (preferably II)
Skies of Arcadia? Grandia II?

Oh well, an opinion is an opinion though I did not really expect Japan to priase games like GTA that high.

While I totally disagree with DDS (What?  I don't like many Atlus games :P), I do have to agree..........NO SUIKODEN!?!?  And Grandia too, that series is awsome.

But, still, like I stated earlier, it all depends on who you poll.  Lets say you have a room with one million people.  20% think FFX is the top, and the rest think something different.  Obviously not all one million will vote, and it could be possible all 20% that think FFX will.

Anyways, my point is its not that acurate.

Hey, why don't we have one ourselves for RPGFan?  Or at least, best RPG ever.

Currently Playing:

PS2
- Tales of Legendia
- Grandia III

PSP
- Tales of Eternia

Waiting for...
- Kingdom Hearts II
- Suikoden V
Marona

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2006, 05:35:15 AM »

I always feel a bit chlostrophobic when participating in or creating a "best / favorite list" of anything, There are a lot of factors taken into consideration that would really make a huge differance on the outcome and is a real science. Advertising, buzz, availibility, how many copies were made, age group, how easy it is to get a copy of the game, when it was made, if the audience polled were hardcore or casual and so on, and a great portion of those games on the poll are greatly effected by these factors and its easy to predict what the outcome will be. I can't say that the games on the list arent all excellent.. but probably wouldnt make up a hardcore gamers list who has had enough expirience to become worldly to a very broad spectrum of games.

In conclusion, I just have to say that the best list is the one you write yourself, and always will be.
rubenxce

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2006, 09:09:40 AM »

Quote from: "Sketch"
Quote from: "Professor Gast"

Now I'm kind of curious to see the '100 best games' list by American standards. I know FFVII and X would make it up there, but what about the rest?

Game Informer did this with there 100th issue a couple of years ago. I tried to find it, its in a box somewhere in my house but i was unable too.
Nutbar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2006, 02:58:05 PM »

was there really enough of difference between the resident evil 4 releases for GC and PS2 to count them as different games on the list.

The list is a little shocking, especially FFX at the top- when X-2 is obviously the better game :P.

ah well, at least GTA didn't dominate a top 10 game poll for a change!
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2006, 03:23:10 PM »

Quote from: "Nutbar"
The list is a little shocking, especially FFX at the top- when X-2 is obviously the better game :P.  

::starts a pop group with random females and sets off on a fantastic journey through the young, definitely ditzy female mind::

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Marona

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2006, 05:35:13 AM »

Sex Appeal + Final Fantasy + Pop Music x Nostalgia Divided by Job Class System Carry the moogles = PS2 Greatest Hits Title.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: