Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 09:54:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341214 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenoblade or Final Fantasy 12.. what's your preference?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Xenoblade or Final Fantasy 12.. what's your preference?  (Read 6949 times)
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2012, 09:52:58 AM »

Currently going through Xenoblade and loving it. Often when I go through discussions about it I hear people compare it to Final Fantasy 12. I guess I can see the comparison. Huge open worlds, with tons and tons of unique monsters to hunt, Lots of collectibles, and both having an interesting take on the normal RPG battle system.

I never finished 12 at the time, and am still going through Xenoblade but was wondering everyones opinions on this. what do you think is the superior game?

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 10:04:17 AM »

FFXII battle system, everything else Xenoblade.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »

Xenoblade

I didn't enjoy FF12 at all

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 11:37:31 AM »

i'd say 12's combat is less obtuse i don't know if i like it more though. the final boss in 12 was too easy the soldier battles leading up to him are tougher i just ran away every time. xenoblade combat took me a minute to figure out and i still feel like i'm not getting it all...i need to get back to it.
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 11:56:46 AM »

I haven't played enough of FF12 to compare... but I can tell you I'm having a blast playing Xenoblade. I'm 40 hours in. I like the main story, yet I'm more inclined to stop and take my time to go on side quests to help the colony people out. So much to do, see, and customize!

Playing: SMTIV (3DS).
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 12:27:19 PM »

Xenoblade by a long long long distance. I ENJOYED it so much more. FFXII was boring. Xenoblade had amazing settings, characters (granted, FFXII looked better graphically), story, fun quests and exploration, and engaging battle. I barely slogged through FFXII. I played through Xenoblade twice and enjoyed the whole ride.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 04:09:37 PM »

I played both, start to finish... While I do agree you can contrast the two, the vast difference in quality places Xenoblade in nearly a whole other league if you ask me... Xenoblade to me in respect to this topic is like all the postive mechanics of FFXII, done better,  with the addition of a memorable narrative and cast.

To be honest, the only thing I really liked about FFXII was Ashe... I'm such a sucker for the Joan of Arc-type chicks...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 04:44:25 PM »

The thing about FFXIIs battle system was that it was willing to give you all the control if you wanted it. Its something that I really wanted to see in Xenoblade. Having to rely on the AI, especially since the combo system is designed around a very specific order of chaining, is often a lot more frustrating then it should be.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 04:54:10 PM »

I just checked and I've only played 6 hours of each. While I remember enjoying those 6 hours in each game, I'd say I enjoyed Xenoblade more by a long shot. It appeals to my love of exploration right out of the gate. That alone would make it my preferred game, and that's before comparing the stories, characters and battle systems (which I can't really do at the moment, seeing as I barely got started in both games).

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 05:31:51 PM »

Xenoblade for everything except towns (which is a frivolous issue) and music.  I just thought FF12 had pretty awesome towns and I loved its OST.  Xenoblade has nice music and nice towns, but I preferred ff12 for those things.

As far as gameplay - most of my qualms about Xenoblade's battle system stemmed from the feeling that I had early in the game that I HAD to use DPS/Tank/Healer, but these issues were largely fixed by 7 and/or the 2nd tank with no armor and tons of agi gems in their weapon (thus not needing a healer most of the time).

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 07:19:31 PM »

Xenoblade.

Its what FFXII wanted to be in the first place.

(Although I will give credit to FFXII's Gambit system, allowing you to program your own AI (though even that needed a 'has lootable item' condition check).)

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »

Its weird. I am with most everyone in this thread. Back when I played FF 12, I really did not enjoy it. I could not stand the battle system, and I felt the storing was on the boring side. The thing is I have read so many threads since then where people praise the game as one of, if not the bet FF ever. Makes me feel like I just did not "get it". I really would like to give it another shot, I think I would give the battle system more of a chance this time.

On the other hand I really have enjoyed Xenoblade. The battle system its much more interactive, and really is a perfect blend of turn based and real time. The music is mostly excellent, and the environments are simply mind blowing,  maybe the games most stunning feature. One issue I do have though was brought up by Akanbe. I feel like I have basically been forced to keep Sharla on my team, even though as a character I dont particularly like her. I just really need the healing and no one else can provide enough of it. I am about 45 hours in and I really have not seen much of a solution for this, tough its good to hear there might be one.

One thing both these games have in common though, it takes a person with a strong will to 100% either of them. Its definitely not something I am capable of.

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 06:20:51 AM »

I was surprised that so many people on these forums seem to have such mixed views about FF12 since we only have a couple (glowing reviews of it)
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/finalfantasy12/index.html
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/finalfantasy12-intl/index.html
andddd
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Xenoblade/index2.html
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Xenoblade/index.html

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 07:25:44 AM »

I like Xenoblade, but I like FFXII more. I think everybody already knew that.

I thought the story and characters in XII weren't particularly exciting (though I did like Balthier), but I loved every other aspect of the game. I've played over 100 hours of FFXII and it's probably my tied favourite Final Fantasy (along with VI). I'm about 1/3 of the way through Xenoblade and haven't played it in months. I like it, and I can see it's a good game, but... I dunno. I'm tired and need to go to bed.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 07:27:33 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 08:33:47 AM »

Agree about feeling forced to use Sharla for any even mildly dangerous fight.  Though I guess another healer could make things super easy.  Imagine 2 Sharla on a team...be pretty hard to die unless significantly underleveled.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: