Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:15:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334626 Posts in 13705 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenoblade or Final Fantasy 12.. what's your preference?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Xenoblade or Final Fantasy 12.. what's your preference?  (Read 6212 times)
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 04:51:57 PM »

the locales were far more impressive (and more vertical, which I really love),

THIS! Xenoblade has to have some of the most impressive scale I have ever seen in video games. Those moments where you climb some huge cliff and can look down on everything you just traversed, with a giant looming red eyed robot in the background take my breath away every time.

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Aertea

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2012, 12:08:33 AM »

Xenoblade by a pretty wide margin. 

I loved the characters and the combat, even thought the story was pretty decent.  The only part of that really left a sour taste in my mouth was the fact that the developers thought it adequate to ignore the last 10 years of evolution in the area of interface design.  The quest UI, reputation UI, even the inventory were all a complete mess.

I feel like I should revisit FFXII at some point to give it another chance, but the combat completely turned me off.  Most of the cast didn't help much either.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 09:57:45 AM »

One issue I have with Xenoblade, and I guess a lot of RPGs in general, is the fact there is just way to much stuff to collect. When every single enemy you kill leaves behind a treasure chest, often with 5 separate items in each one, I think it devalues them. Put much less items there, but make them unique and worth finding. Also add interesting quests to make finding this stuff enjoyable. I think this would go a long way to making me actually WANT to find everything and go on my quests.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »

One issue I have with Xenoblade, and I guess a lot of RPGs in general, is the fact there is just way to much stuff to collect. When every single enemy you kill leaves behind a treasure chest, often with 5 separate items in each one, I think it devalues them. Put much less items there, but make them unique and worth finding. Also add interesting quests to make finding this stuff enjoyable. I think this would go a long way to making me actually WANT to find everything and go on my quests.

I will give Xenoblade credit for letting you know which item is worth keeping and how much of it you need to have on hand, even before you actually get the quest that requires said boar tusks. It's a feature that really should be implemented in every JRPG from now on. Vastly superior to the current method of touching nothing until you get to the end of the game with a guide in your hand that explicitly states what you need to do with what you have and in what order lest you'd take the profession of loot farmer for a fortnight or two.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2012, 11:06:51 AM »

I will give Xenoblade credit for letting you know which item is worth keeping and how much of it you need to have on hand, even before you actually get the quest that requires said boar tusks. It's a feature that really should be implemented in every JRPG from now on. Vastly superior to the current method of touching nothing until you get to the end of the game with a guide in your hand that explicitly states what you need to do with what you have and in what order lest you'd take the profession of loot farmer for a fortnight or two.

i concur the quest item system is so good. if every game had that side quests wouldn't seem quite as stupid.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2012, 04:48:29 AM »

Yep, and doing quests just feels so natural in Xenoblade. Some encourage you to explore and others are completed nearly automatically while you explore.

And I personally don't think there was too much stuff. It's not like you have to throw anything away. Give your leftovers to party members as presents or trade them for items you do need.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2012, 01:30:15 PM »

Does the game ever explain the giving presents system? i am about 55 hours in and don't remember seeing any mention of it. I have yet to do it. How is it performed?

One thing I do love is getting experience for finding new locations. Really makes you want to explore and feels really great when you find a secret area.

Also the outfits in this game are just totally insane. Its hard to take some of the cutscenes seriously with some of the stuff my party is wearing. Sharla in particular. dunban on the other hand looks totally bad ass in what I have him wearing.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2012, 03:42:54 PM »

EDIT: Wrong info
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:48:04 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2012, 05:45:51 PM »

Does the game ever explain the giving presents system? i am about 55 hours in and don't remember seeing any mention of it. I have yet to do it. How is it performed?

Go to the collectible menu and select the item you want to gift.  Hit "A" then hit give/present and pick who gives it to who.

I only found it useful between two characters who are rarely in battle together to raise their affinity for each other so you can link one of their talent skills.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2012, 06:49:15 PM »

Go to the collectible menu and select the item you want to gift.  Hit "A" then hit give/present and pick who gives it to who.

Well now I feel stupid. I thought he was talking about trading. I don't even know how I thought that. I hope he didn't read my post yet...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 12:20:39 AM »

Is Final Fantasy Twilight anything like Lindsey tetris?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 09:46:43 AM »

I only found it useful between two characters who are rarely in battle together to raise their affinity for each other so you can link one of their talent skills.

Ah ok Thanks! Really wish the game actually bothered to tell you this. Well really help with those heart to hearts

Tuan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 10:49:24 AM »

One of the things the game definitely needed was the ability to select and give multiple presents (of the same kind) at once to each party member.But as it was that feature soon became a chore to me. :/
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2012, 12:52:03 AM »

Dunban climbs ladders and mountains with one arm- like a boss.

Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2012, 05:45:11 PM »

In terms of post game content, which game has the more challenging battles?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: