Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 12:19:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338627 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite "Tales of" Game and why?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Favorite "Tales of" Game and why?  (Read 4873 times)
Judas

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 01:57:31 AM »

Dawn of the New World was ok. It was fun getting to see the old cast and everything. Sucked not all the original voice actors came back for it. But worst part?

Oh that wasn't Lloyd doing all that shady stuff. It was a bad guy in disguise. Or some shit like that. It was horrible. Like it was all a dream
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »

To answer the original question. . .Symphonia.  I think it's one of those all-around games that excels at nothing in particular, but still gives off a nice, complete, satisfying feel.  I can't say I'm too fond of Phantasia, but I did enjoy Destiny.

Battle-wise, Graces is unmatched.

I like what the Tales team tried with Yuri and Vesperia.  I admit I was actually surprised they went so far, given how traditionally. . ."good" the main characters are in the series.  The Lawful vs Chaotic theme was nice.

I like Abyss until the halfway mark, then started to hate it and where the characters and story went - opposite of most people.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 12:39:34 AM »

Yuri's arc would've been great ... IF they didn't up and forget about "society has laws about murder and breaking these laws have consequences," thus rendering Yuri getting a LITERAL get out of jail free card when he saved the world from the Adephagos. Also, the game framed it in such a way that if Yuri DIDN'T kill those people, he was doing the WRONG THING. If they wanted a more gray morality, they would've given Ragul and Cumore families and children, which would have been more thought provoking - sure evil people are now dead, but children are now deprived of their father, wives of their husbands, etc. Instead it's pretty cut-and-dried, with Yuri escaping any consequences for his actions at all.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 02:47:46 AM »

Yep, they made them too easy to hate. Flynn does confront Yuri though, but it feels empty after having watched The First Strike...

In any case, the murders would have been shoved on the carpet as well if they did go the moral ambiguity route. Yuri's best buddies with a princess and other high ranking figures. I bet most of the world likes him too, because of the whole not having to die thing. Plus, who cares about the deaths of people who were on the wrong/losing side? If Yuri did go to trial, he'd walk out a free man anyway.
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 11:49:47 AM »

I know I'm a bit offtopic here, but considering I've never played an entry in the series, I was wondering what is the recurring theme or idea in the games. Are the games set in the same universe, do they focus on a particular theme, or are they just nice animu RPGs with action-based combat?
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 12:41:32 PM »

Tales game are your typical save the world RPG.

Prominent features are:
- Skits
- Linear / 3D linear real-time battle system
- Cameos
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 01:08:15 PM »

Prominent features are:
- Skits
- Cameos

Hell, the Cameos aren't even an exclusive feature. Every Namdai game has a reference to an earlier game built into it at some point.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »

Prominent features are:
- Skits
- Cameos

Hell, the Cameos aren't even an exclusive feature. Every Namdai game has a reference to an earlier game built into it at some point.

Well cameos in tales game also mean recurring bosses/attacks/weapons/accessories/scenes.

sonna... SONNA BAKANA!?
*INDIGNATION*

and good ole:

NO ITEMS EVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 04:07:31 PM »

Most of the Tales Of traditions have to do with character archetypes and in-game traditions, but that doesn't really answer your question, so...

Tales Of games often have subplots about racism or xenophobia, and at least one character either suffering from it or overcoming it. Half-elves in Phantasia and Symphonia, Celestians in Eternia, Lycanth in Tempest, probably others I haven't played.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 04:09:01 PM »

SOOO many Tales games I haven't played. Among those I have, however, I think I like Destiny the most in retrospect. Even with the FATE / EATE stupidity.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 02:57:28 AM »

Tales Of games often have subplots about racism or xenophobia, and at least one character either suffering from it or overcoming it. Half-elves in Phantasia and Symphonia, Celestians in Eternia, Lycanth in Tempest, probably others I haven't played.

Some games also try to send an environmental message. Elements being out of balance (due to things humans did) is pretty common.

Oh, but let one thing be clear: 'subtility' is not in the Tales dictionary. More often than not writers prefer the sledgehammer approach. But we always forgive them, because Tales games are about the characters. The Tales games are, despite their love for archetypes, full of likable characters that get plenty of development.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 10:44:37 PM »

Abyss....because of...two words...Jade Curtiss...the ultimate smart/bad ass

Everything's Eventual
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: