Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 12:41:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334697 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FFXI: Worth the money?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: FFXI: Worth the money?  (Read 10105 times)
Phoenix's Rage

« on: October 01, 2006, 11:22:02 PM »

I'm considering purchasing an MMO this week and my buddy recommended Final Fantasy XI. I'd like you folks' opinions on the game that actually play (or played) it. Thanks.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 11:33:06 PM »

PSU's coming out at the end of the month.

(Read: Wait for that. But then I didn't much like FFXI.)
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 03:13:37 AM »

I played it for a little bit over the summer and didn't like it very much. Maybe it was because I was conditioned to the simplicity of WoW, or maybe it was because FFXI is very unforgiving in its difficulty. I found myself wanting to like it because of the graphical style and atmosphere of the game, but it was just too hardcore for my simpler tastes.

I don't know if you have played WoW (or any other MMO) in the past, but I'd say that's a better overall choice. If you have the money to blow, both WoW and FFXI are now $20, so you could try them. WoW has a 14 day free trial (I think) you could use, but you have to purchase FFXI to try it.

Or you could listen to Eusis and grab PSU in a couple of weeks.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 03:24:30 AM »

You need to WoW it up with Darkrider, Daggerstrike, and myself....maybe if we get enough RPGFanners on one server John will jump ship.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 03:28:05 AM »

Quote from: "Dade"
You need to WoW it up with Darkrider, Daggerstrike, and myself....maybe if we get enough RPGFanners on one server John will jump ship.

Sorry that you're all wussy PvE carebears.

:-D

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 05:39:59 PM »

Don't bother with Final Fantasy XI.  The game reached its highest peak on its rollercoaster ride of fame and is on its lengthy downward spiral like every MMORPG before it.  Unless you've been with the game for awhile, there's no point to playing because the playerbase is slowly shrinking.  The game requires a large amount of time invested if you want to just halfway catch up with everyone else that's been playing the last few years, and as a fresh new character, you will have an exceptionally hard time at it, especially since Square Enix has changed the party mechanics a great deal for veterans of the game with their latest expansion, which results in a severe lack of patience by most players of the game for those early levels that you would have to deal with.  Square Enix also stated that their latest expansion pack will probably be their last one, which is more than enough implication that the game is not exactly top priority, especially since the development team for the game is concentrating on a next-gen MMO (which I'm anxious to hear/see more about).

My personal recommendation is to wait three more weeks for Phantasy Star Universe's release.  The game kicks major fucking ass, as I've had a lot of fun with the import so far.  It cuts out all the bullshit and goes straight to what matters... playing with friends and having fun without having to worry about dedicating some number of hours each evening to some fucking raid guild just so you can experience end-game content or whatever.  You make a team, you go kill monsters en masse, and you look cool while doing it.  There you go.

Or you can play World of Warcraft, I guess.  It wasn't my cup of tea, but I'm a controller-holding kind of gamer.  Mouse and keyboard's never sat well with me in gaming.
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 06:37:24 PM »

Quote from: "Parn"
It cuts out all the bullshit and goes straight to what matters... playing with friends and having fun without having to worry about dedicating some number of hours each evening to some fucking raid guild just so you can experience end-game content or whatever.  You make a team, you go kill monsters en masse, and you look cool while doing it.  There you go.

A fucking men!

We've all been brain-washed over the years to think that grinding your fishing skill for 400 hours to raise it by 4 points is cool and should earn you respect, back to basics as Parn says!

PSU will be great!

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 09:07:45 PM »

Speaking as someone who is still playing the game, and has played PSO and WOW.  I stuck with FFXI just cause I personally like it more.  It is much slower paced than WOW but what it lacks in speed it has in depth.  The combat system is more in depth, and theres plenty of things to do when reaching endgame.  They've done measures to fix the ecnomony and the pacing, but for a lot of people it was too late.  I am still playing the game, and I have no interest in quitting(taking long breaks sure).  And I look forward to FFXI's successor, hopefully it won't try to imitate WoW(unlike a certain MMO I was developing for 2 years and recently walked out of my job) and just try to learn from both FFXI and WoW's merits and flaws.  
As for PSU, you can hardly compare it to MMOs, its an online game, but its not a perpetual world.  PSU seems like a fun game(I enjoyed PSO) but its like comparing apples to oranges.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 12:19:59 AM »

It really is up to you. I personally liked FFXI though recently been feeling bored with it. Things got a bit too slow for me and being a game driven by teaming up with others, my luck seemed to have run out. Besides that, I have been waiting for Phantasy Star Universe forever and I can only pay for one MMO, so PSU will be my next MMO priority when it's finally released. If you really do have a lot of time to spend as well as being in a team and like the variety of jobs, than I say go for FFXI. If you want a faster paced MMO with some more depth go with WoW (not my cup of tea either) or a simple MMO with fast and furious, than go with PSU when it comes out later this month. It all comes down to your preference.

I'd like to go team up with fellow RPGFan members as a RAmar when I finally get it :)

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Dio

... I'm not Dead.

SummonerDio@msn.com Diobility Diobility
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 03:47:22 AM »

Final Fantasy XI: A lot of dept and lets you play all classes with one character, instead of creating a whole new character. The storylines aren't so bad, either... But, it's too time consuming and player dependent. You can't do anything important alone, except farm for fame... or just plain farm.

World of Warcraft: A lot of fun and doesn't require a endless grind of fighting in the same spot against the same enemies for hours, for experience. Very fast-paced... But, it can get old after a couple months, if you can get to 60 that fast. It also has many connection issues and crashes, plus they have a lot of downtime.

Phantasy Star Universe: If it's anything like PSO (as far as content) it's pretty fun, and you don't need to ever worry about joining some big raid guild or linkshell to get uber stuff... But, it can get old really fast, after going in the same dungeons over and over killing the same enemies. Not much exploration, either... but like I said, I haven't played PSU, so it could be different.

Honestly, if you were gonna play a MMO, I'd base it on the amount of time you have. Sure you can play FFXI in moderation, but you can't accomplish much if you do that. At least with WoW or PSU, you can play more casually. All the other MMO's haven't caught my attention except RF Online (which sucked ass) and Guild Wars (which I haven't played, yet). Anyway, I'd really stick to a MMO that matches your time frame. What's the point of getting an MMO that requires a lot of time, if you don't have any time to give up?

Good luck to ya.

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Quote from: "Dade"

Sorry that you're all wussy PvE carebears.

:-D

PvP Server: 60's ganking lowbies.
PvE Server: 60's battling 60's.

Who are the pussies? :p

Infinite.Bit Radio
Dedicated station to actual video game and anime music from various soundtracks. No radio show podcasts or anything like that... Just pure 100% music. Old, new and remade tracks is what you'll hear from us.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 04:32:36 PM »

Quote from: "Logick"
The combat system is more in depth

How so?
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 07:19:31 PM »

How so?

Seconded, I would think the mechanics behind WoW (considering all the numbers the PvP nuts talk about) are more complicated :/

Phoenix's Rage

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 12:30:42 PM »

Apparently gil's hard to come by in FFXI and a decent set of gear will require a lot of time spent farming which doesn't sound like a bit of fun to me. I did enjoy PSO until the script kiddies with their GameSharks ruined the experience for me so I may give PSU a shot later this month. How improved over PSO in terms of gameplay, areas to explore, and cheat prevention is PSU, Jason?
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 02:07:15 PM »

How so?

Skillchains, Magic Bursts, burn parties(BLM, Axe, Pole, Pet, etc.), hate system, etc.

I played WoW quite a bit for research at my old job, I felt combat was WAY too simplistic, even though the user interface(especially for combat) far outshadows FFXI.  

And as for gil in FFXI, the economy in the game is going downhill and fast(pricewise) farming crystals, silk, chips, etc. are back to being viable method of income.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 05:38:24 PM »

You call that a deeper combat system?  Everquest 2 has it's own version of skillchains/magic bursts and shares World of Warcraft's mechanics, and I can assure you that Everquest 2 is no more deep than Final Fantasy XI or World of Warcraft with its combat.  And you have to be kidding me on the hate system, because World of Warcraft most certainly has one.

Final Fantasy XI has art direction that I prefer, sure.  I preferred the more console-oriented interface because I like using a gamepad.  Hell, if Phantasy Star Universe weren't releasing on the 24th, I'd still be playing it.  But to say Final Fantasy XI's combat is more in-depth is absolute nonsense.  Timing a skillchain takes no more effort than pulling off a shield bash within a short amount of time in World of Warcraft after successfully blocking with a shield on a protection-build warrior.  Considering how few skills you have at your disposal in Final Fantasy XI, it's laughable to even pretend that it's a deeper game with regards to its combat.

World of Warcraft affected Final Fantasy XI's latest direction, whether you're willing to believe it or not.  The considerably faster respawn times of monsters in Aht Urhgan areas, the instanced assault missions that give you uber equipment that come with set bonuses when you equip all pieces, and so on.  Not that they aren't coming up with their own ideas (see: besieged), but I think you're giving the game a little too much credit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: