Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 04:13:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330207 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FFXI: Worth the money?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: FFXI: Worth the money?  (Read 9903 times)
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 07:26:06 PM »

Parn I never said WoW didnt have a hate system, I just said combat was more simplistic, now please I don't want to argue.  Arguing over something like this is silly.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 09:10:30 PM »

I've played FFxi and WoW, and I think what Logick is trying to say parn is that the maths behind what you do in FFXi maybe more in-depth (maybe I'm wrong). I remember parties in FFxi and how one wrong move could fuck up the whole pull/kill ratio, timing was everything. Whereas in WoW there are no real penalties for messing up whislt fighting, not even an XP loss if you die.

But... this is only mob grinding and what not, when you start to PvP in WoW and when you come up against other good players, you begin to realize how in-depth the WoW combat system is, Knowledge is everything in WoW PvP. Know your moves and your opponents, and how to counter them and so on.

End story, both games have different combat systems, far from each other. So I suppose comparing them is silly in itself.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 09:55:40 PM »

Quote from: "Logick"
Parn I never said WoW didnt have a hate system, I just said combat was more simplistic, now please I don't want to argue.  Arguing over something like this is silly.

But you posted FFXI's hate system as part of your listing of things that made FFXI combat "deeper".  It's convenient how you were completely willing to discuss this up until now.  But, whatever.

Quote from: "Starbreaker"
I remember parties in FFxi and how one wrong move could fuck up the whole pull/kill ratio, timing was everything.

That's only because people would fight stuff that was more powerful than they should fight.  I would make a mistake on ninja with my utsusemi shadow timings now and then when leveling, but I'd still recover and maintain a high XP/hour ratio.  The more powerful the stuff you fight, the less forgiving the game is when a mistake is made, and World of Warcraft is the same in this regard.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 02:00:19 AM »

I think FFXI is absolutely worth it! ...if you have 4 months of your life to give away freely...

Seriously, I've loved my experience with the game. The thing that drew me into it, the one thing that made it stand out in the mass of MMOs out there, is a linear storyline woven into the huge open-ended gameplay.

The original title allowed you to ally with one of three nations, and each nation has its own ten-chapter story to follow. In the middle the story is the same, and one can say they've technically "beaten" the core of FFXI when they hit chapter 6.

There are also three expansions, one of which has not yet finished revealing its story-based "mission" line.

The first expansion has a short storyline, but requires that you be an extremely high level before you even begin it.

The second expansion, Chains of Promathia, puts "level caps" on missions as you go through so that you can level up a new character as you progress through the missions. I felt like Chains of Promathia, as a storyline all its own, was a worthy RPG simply on the merits of a great storyline and *EXTREMELY* challenging gameplay.

Like all MMOs, you need good people that aren't stuck-up douchebags to help you along the way. In turn, you must also be a non-douchebag and help others out too. AND, like all MMOs, it'll cost literal months of your life.

But I've loved FFXI, and I plan to complete all of the expansions' storylines before I give it up.

If you're interested, give it a chance. Like Parn said, the game's reached its climax and the populations will go downhill from here...but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it on the way. New people are still signing up for it every day.

Ramza

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 02:11:02 AM »

I'll note that if you want to go and get the game, it might be a good idea to wait.
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 07:32:24 PM »

I picked it up a while ago after some pressure from a friend.  Once you get to 10 or so, the game gets alright, but the learning curve and early game design is retardedly bad.

As a guildmate of mine said, ""It looked really cool and seemed really deep and complete, and then I ran out to the forest and started killing things, and it was great.   then I died from full health to a rabbit and there was nothing I could do.  Now, I'm sure I fucked up somewhere, yeah... But dying to a rabbit?  fuck that."

A few levels into it, and especially if you grab some food, it's not as necessary to compulsively Check everything to not get waxed, but mob difficulty is still extremely varied, and you may as well just solo the sissiest worms you can find for 25 experience a pop because you can kill them in one round, while the bunnies of the same level take two rounds and get a few hits in, and the orcs take 6.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 09:45:15 PM »

I don't find that any different then WoW.  It's all based on the class and race you play and the abilities you possess.

Sure, WoW is more friendly and easier to learn, but it's still the same "curve" you have to learn.  I guess WoW just made it easier by putting a large golden dragon around enemies that you'd consider hard.

The only point I do agree with is that the Check system is varied by level.  Whereas sometimes you can indeed die to an easy mob, depending on the moves that mob possesses.

Edit: On top of everything, just like WoW, FFXI shines at end game.  Once you actually get challenged with boss encounters and missions, you will have played the game the developers intended everybody to judge.

Bash me all you want, but I feel as if I'm one of the very few people who has played both FFXI and WoW for a good length of time and has experienced what both games have to offer.  It's purely a matter of taste that decides which you'll like more.

Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 12:29:53 AM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
Sure, WoW is more friendly and easier to learn

That was pretty much my whole point, so, yeah, I'm sure going to bash you.

Grats on disclaimer.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 01:32:00 AM »

Well grats to describing that WoW is easier to learn and more fun, but I decided to go into detail and say that while people bash the game at low level and tend to quit (as you pretty much seem to claim, since you only mention up to level 10) when the game is pretty much the same thing end game, but in some aspects even better then WoW.

My bad, I forgot threads on message boards are strictly for argument, and not to answer the general question that the thread poses.  Clearly I meant only to start a debate.  You're far too hostile, Rico.

Ark

me irl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2006, 09:47:16 AM »

You're far too hostile, Rico.

FUCKEN BACK OFF MAN DRUIDS CAN TANK AND DPS BETTER THAN WARRIORS STOP HATIN

FAGGOT
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 06:54:35 PM »

My bad, I forgot threads on message boards are strictly for argument, and not to answer the general question that the thread poses.  Clearly I meant only to start a debate.  You're far too hostile, Rico.

See, the funny thing about that is that I answered the question according to my own opinion, you did yours, but you're the one who put the flamebait in.  Now, I took it, because it's the Internet and it's fun, but Christ, are you really going to accuse me of being hostile when you're the one who came out and said, "LOL UR GOING TO BASH ME BUT UR WRONG IN ADVANCE."
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2006, 06:56:10 PM »

No, I'm going to accuse you of being hostile because that's what 90% of your posts are on this message board.  And I said things in advance because it's easily predictable that you're going to respond in every form but a positive one.

And am I wrong?

Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2006, 07:25:11 PM »

And am I wrong?

Oh, I wholeheartedly admit that I troll.  For instance, observe this little gem.  But I wouldn't have had much to disagree with you at all on there but for your opening statement that it wasn't that much different from WoW (Contrast your own statement of a lot of people giving up early on in FFXI vs. 7 million WoW subscribers; has to be more than a little different early game).  FFXI definitely hits its stride after the short and awkward hit to 10, and I've experienced vicariously some of the end-game content which is quite good--through a friend who also raids AQ40 and Naxx--though I personally prefer WoW's style of end-game encounter.

It's not as if these forums haven't been a place where people are... aggressive (Hi Tony, Dade).  To try and call me out for it when I've made a serious answer to a thread is hardly becoming.  If you're going to stoop to taking shots at people preemptively, it's not a far road to being just as hostile as I am around here.

P.S. I am Dameron of <Months Behind>
Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2006, 06:47:27 AM »

I've played a bunch of MMOs, including WoW and FFXI. But I'm still in FFXI after almost a year since I started.

Yes WoW is more friendly/easier with the newbies, also has a larger playerbase (which isnt necessarily good, the lags/queues on servers suck badly), but that's if you only consider the butterfly aspect of the game. Which is leveling. When we speak about endgame, WoW is nothing friendly. I havent been there, granted, but know many people who do it and read guild sites... Raids 5x a week?! Each run going for almost 3-5 hours? That's like as much time as my job. To get to Grand Marshal on Battlegrounds also takes time. You dont really have to do both, hell you dont even have to do one of them if you dont want to, but it's always cool to be involved in endgame activities, specially in a game that leans heavily towards PVP. Someone with the top raid gear will always outdo someone with a typical gear of his level. The fact WoW can be good even if you dont fully experience the game is what attracts so many people. (Plus good marketing and other business-related reasons)

FFXI is hard on the newbies, if it wasnt for an old friend teaching me a lot about it when I started, I probably wouldnt have taken the heat (actually I would, but would be even harder). But since the latest expansion (Treasures of Aht Urhgan) it became easier. Leveling from 50 -> 75 is a joke if you have access to these new areas. And endgame-wise it has a LOT more content than any other MMO I've played. Limbus, High Notorious Monsters, Dynamis, Sea, Sky, etc. Some (but not all) of which may be a bit broken (specially when it comes to drop rate), but it's still not as bad as some people make it look. Specially because the only special power endgame gear wields to you is the ability to tackle other endgame activities easier (enhances your performance in high level exp parties too, but that's really little if you compare) and that doesnt interfere anyone else besides your team, unlike PVP. The storyline is a big plus as well. But summarizing: Yes, it takes a lot of time if you want to experience some of the game, and even more if you want to fully experience it. Depending on how you manage your time or choose to do your endgame (I know people whose only Endgame activity is Limbus, and you can only do it once every 3 days, taking around 1-2hrs to complete. Not much time at all and some of the best gears in the game), the game can even be friendly to a tight schedule.

PS: Rico, Rabbits are indeed pathetic, but what about Boars? Every game has its fair share of retarded monsters on low and high levels. That is a stupid reason to dislike a game

EDIT: Oh yeah I didnt mention PSU because PSU isnt a MMO. It's an online game, or, as my friends who play on the 360 Beta say, it's "PSO with shinier graphics" (from Parn's videos, it confirms that motion). I will play it when it comes out but I'm not highly anticipating it, unlike everyone else, because it still doesnt appeal me. I like the MMO experience more
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2006, 07:02:38 AM »

While I mentioned PSU, I agree that it's not an MMO. However, both PSU and MMOs will compete for your money, and your time. You can probably juggle it with an MMO, but the combo would surely eat a large chunk of time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: