Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 09:45:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329452 Posts in 13498 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Let's make an awesome Pirate RPG!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Let's make an awesome Pirate RPG!  (Read 1806 times)
Chairman7w

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2012, 06:58:21 PM »

So I picked up Risen 2, and it's not so good.  Horrible animations, dog-crap-like combat mechanics, etc...  BUT there's a nugget of goodness in it that I really like.  it definitely has a very strong pirate flavor.  I actually like the game, and have enjoyed MOST of the time I've put into it.  I'm pretty sure I'll finish it.

But if I could make Risen 3, what would I do to make it a GREAT RPG?  It already has Pirates, that's half the battle.  (Let's just assume the graphics/animations would be cleaned up)  Here's what I'd add:

- The "junk pile" mechanic from Kingdoms of Amalur.  I personally think that's one of the great RPG innovations of all time.  Love it.
- The vastness of Skyrim.  Just SO much to do and see.
- Piratey Swashbuckling Goodness!  Rope-swinging and climbing rigging with a dagger in your teeth
- The drama and strong characters of Mass Effect 2 (and probably 3, but I haven't played 3 yet)
- Ship-based encounters!  Not navigation stuff (boring!), but certainly when the two ships crash together, have ship-to-ship swordplay
- The team mechanics of Dragon's Dogma - I *really* like the idea of pawns.  Cool stuff.
- Even though it's a bit action-based, I really dig the combat of Kingdoms.  Especially the progression and skills.

So how bout you guys?  What would you add?
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 06:38:25 PM »

Everything you said I like :). Sadly, to even think about this makes me want to cry knowing that a game this awesome will never be released. At least you can RP a Shipwrecked Pirate in Skyrim or something.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:45:45 PM »

I'd like a game where you play as a pirate and sail around finding emotionally distressed people so that you can give them hugs.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »

I'd like a game where you play as a pirate and sail around finding emotionally distressed people so that you can give them hugs.

That actually sounds fun.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 08:38:01 PM »

Ha. That sounds like a weird mix between Zelda: The Wind Waker and the Care Bears.

...I'd buy that for a dollar, I guess.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 02:13:54 AM »

The  closest we've ever gotten to a perfect pirate game was Skies of Arcadia.

There was a Bethesda pirate game called Pirates of the Caribbean that was kind of crap, Legend of Black Kat was kind of crap and Legend of the Buccaneer was kind of crap.

I would love a good pirate RPG.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:06:34 AM »

The  closest we've ever gotten to a perfect pirate game was Skies of Arcadia.

There was a Bethesda pirate game called Pirates of the Caribbean that was kind of crap, Legend of Black Kat was kind of crap and Legend of the Buccaneer was kind of crap.

I would love a good pirate RPG.

Rogue Galaxy was kinda crap, and Suikoden IV was straight up crap.

Infinite Space was pretty good in the "I have a fleet!" sort of way at least.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 02:21:26 AM »

I'm not sure if Sid Meier's Pirates would fall into the true RPG vein, but it's a pretty solid pirate game, if a bit repetitive. I have it on the iOS and it's a solid good time, and its model could definitely be built upon to make a really solid pirating RPG.

I've wanted to get my hands on Skies of Arcadia for ages, just cannot find it anywhere!

Just Greg, thanks.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 02:51:15 AM »

That mantra skill thing and possibly devouring from Digital Devil Saga.
Sakura Wars' connectivity between friendships and battle.
Loot and maybe a revised gambit system and from FF12.
Skies of Arcadia's focus/pp thing for certain attacks.

And does ME1 lack drama or strong characters?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 05:44:57 AM »

dude suikoden 4 is not crap it was awesome dont be butt hurt because it's different than 1/2/3/5.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 11:21:29 AM »

i know it's not an rpg per se but they are really pushing the ship to ship combat in assassins creed 3. however, vehicle combat in those games is usually kind of annoying so we'll just have to wait and see. i would love a good pirate game. skies of arcadia is the reason i got an old school wii with game cube BC (aside from xenoblade) but i've heard rumors about a hd re-release so i'm sorta waiting to see if that pans out. 
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 12:05:20 PM »

dude suikoden 4 is not crap it was awesome dont be butt hurt because it's different than 1/2/3/5.

Well sure, it is the nicest looking Suikoden game but it's kinda missing its middle half. Heck, I don't even think the carry over bonus to Tactics was worth playing through it either.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 02:22:24 PM »

Well sure, it is the nicest looking Suikoden game but it's kinda missing its middle half.

Pretty much, I wouldn't even say "half" Its more like watching a three part pilot for a twenty part miniseries, skimming through two random episodes in the middle then going straight for the ending. Its probably on par if not worse then the infamous CD2 of Xenogears. Sad part is, that otherwise the game was actually pretty damn good. I honestly didn't get why everyone hated it until I suddenly hit the end of the game.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 02:33:58 PM »

Yeah, the fact that you needed SUikoden Tactics for the whole story was kind of a bummer.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 05:24:48 PM »

On the plus side, it did give us Suikoden Tactics which is an awesome game that nobody played.

Well sure, it is the nicest looking Suikoden game but it's kinda missing its middle half.

Pretty much, I wouldn't even say "half" Its more like watching a three part pilot for a twenty part miniseries, skimming through two random episodes in the middle then going straight for the ending. Its probably on par if not worse then the infamous CD2 of Xenogears. Sad part is, that otherwise the game was actually pretty damn good. I honestly didn't get why everyone hated it until I suddenly hit the end of the game.

The problem everyone has for the game came from the fact that the developers made up for the missing content with that goddamn ocean (at least you got Viki early in that game unlike say Suki III which desperately needed an early Viki).

Also the strategy battles were the biggest walks in the park in the series.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: