So I picked up Risen 2, and it's not so good. Horrible animations, dog-crap-like combat mechanics, etc... BUT there's a nugget of goodness in it that I really like. it definitely has a very strong pirate flavor. I actually like the game, and have enjoyed MOST of the time I've put into it. I'm pretty sure I'll finish it.
But if I could make Risen 3, what would I do to make it a GREAT RPG? It already has Pirates, that's half the battle. (Let's just assume the graphics/animations would be cleaned up) Here's what I'd add:
- The "junk pile" mechanic from Kingdoms of Amalur. I personally think that's one of the great RPG innovations of all time. Love it.
- The vastness of Skyrim. Just SO much to do and see.
- Piratey Swashbuckling Goodness! Rope-swinging and climbing rigging with a dagger in your teeth
- The drama and strong characters of Mass Effect 2 (and probably 3, but I haven't played 3 yet)
- Ship-based encounters! Not navigation stuff (boring!), but certainly when the two ships crash together, have ship-to-ship swordplay
- The team mechanics of Dragon's Dogma - I *really* like the idea of pawns. Cool stuff.
- Even though it's a bit action-based, I really dig the combat of Kingdoms. Especially the progression and skills.
So how bout you guys? What would you add?