Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 05:51:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334648 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Assassin's Creed III's creative director on Japanese games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Assassin's Creed III's creative director on Japanese games  (Read 2336 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 10:04:14 AM »

ib4 french

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »

ib4 french

French Canadian.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 10:57:24 AM »

Actually, you are probably correct in saying that he only makes the claims because there's people like you that dismiss Western games simply for having a Western flavor. That's kind of his point.

(Not that there isn't people that do the opposite anyway)

Simply for having a Western flavor? No. We dismiss them for having an incredibly boring Western flavor. There are lots of Western sci-fi and fantasy settings in movies, books, pen and paper RPGs, etc. that are enthralling. Heck, just look at Blizzard. No reason for their video games to be so unimaginative.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »

Actually, you are probably correct in saying that he only makes the claims because there's people like you that dismiss Western games simply for having a Western flavor. That's kind of his point.

(Not that there isn't people that do the opposite anyway)

Simply for having a Western flavor? No. We dismiss them for having an incredibly boring Western flavor. There are lots of Western sci-fi and fantasy settings in movies, books, pen and paper RPGs, etc. that are enthralling. Heck, just look at Blizzard. No reason for their video games to be so unimaginative.

I think that further proves his point. There's that generic Western flavor people don't like, just as there's a generic Japanese flavor (usually overlapping with Anime) that some people don't like, even though there's games like Dark Souls that completely eviscerate the norm. And this IS Alisha we're talking about, her logic is probably no different from someone who disregards all Japanese games for shallow reasons, even though there's far more than Final Fantasy or Nintendo.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:49:58 PM by Eusis » Logged
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »

I think that further proves his point. There's that generic Western flavor people don't like, just as there's a generic Japanese flavor (usually overlapping with Anime) that some people don't like, even though there's games like Dark Souls that completely eviscerate the norm. And this IS Alisha we're talking about, her logic is probably no different from someone who disregards all Japanese games for shallow reasons, even though there's far more than Final Fantasy or Nintendo.

Who's point? (guy in interview or poster on this forum)

Also, though I've been reading the website for well over a decade, I didn't venture into the forums til within the past year or so. The only members whose posting history I have noted are the people I classify as mega trolls.

As far as any subtle racism is concerned with the origin of a game, and this could be just the circles I roll with, IRL I have never met anyone who exclusively prefers Japanese games over Western. I have met plenty of people who enjoy playing both (this is most people I run into). But, I have also met a rather vocal group who prefer Western titles of Japanese, and when they explain why, it reeks of xenophobia.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 02:39:24 AM »

Who's point? (guy in interview or poster on this forum)

The poster. I really don't get the AC3 director's statement, especially when he implied Bayonetta was the kind of "gibberish story" that reviewers call fantastic anyway. Although at least Bayonetta IS some ridiculous bullshit that's morbidly fascinating to watch unfold, unlike Gears of War which is only really entertaining if I pretend Marcus is Bender.

And I do imagine most people enjoy both, but I have seen some dismissive attitudes from both "sides" as it were in the past. Not that I can name specific examples beyond Alisha there.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 11:46:50 AM »

its not like i dont like western devs at all its just thats when one catches my eye they tend to get bought out then ruined or dismantled. for example pandemic(star wars battlefront,mercenaries) snowblind(baldurs gate,champions of norrath)

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: