Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 04:31:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332769 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Assassin's Creed III's creative director on Japanese games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Assassin's Creed III's creative director on Japanese games  (Read 2302 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2012, 01:53:27 PM »

So there's this lengthy interview with Alex Hutchinson, the creative director of Assassin's Creed III.  It's mostly the usual bullshit, but this particular exchange really stands out:

Why do Nintendo get it right? It releases a new edition of the same franchise every year and no one bats an eyelid. Why?

You want my real answer? I think there's a subtle racism in the business, especially on the journalists' side, where Japanese developers are forgiven for doing what they do. I think it's condescending to do this.

Seriously?

Yeah. Just think about how many Japanese games are released where their stories are literally gibberish. Literally gibberish. There's no way you could write it with a straight face, and the journalists say 'oh it is brilliant'.

Then Gears of War comes out and apparently it's the worst written narrative in a game ever. I'll take Gears of War over Bayonetta any time.

It's patronising to say, "oh those Japanese stories, they don't really mean what they're doing".

I mean...wow...

Yes, there are plenty of Japanese games with bad stories (but they do get called out on it...), however he seems to confuse being whimsical with being gibberish.  With a dash of racism for good measure.  I wonder how he feels about Lewis Carroll.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:59:15 PM »

I'll read the whole thing later but I'll agree with what he said but not how he said it.

Since Ass Creed 3 will undoubtedly be 1000x more awesome and more interesting than any japanese game released this year I'll say he's got that going for him too. 
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:05:56 PM »

Man these guys gotta be careful, he'll probably get some heat over this.  But quite frankly it seems the USA and JPN developers love going to each others necks for their differences anyways.  Hard to compare, they're just very different to begin with.

Kingdom Hearts, sure that IS gibberish.  And yeah, you get your examples of other titles that are just as bad (Eternal Sonata, "sci-fi" RPG attempts, Tales' theme focus turning to pink platitude platters).  But there are a few that definitely are more creative (I think that's the key work here; Halo and Gears are practically the same goddamn concept of fighting bullshit in space; and just about ANY American or otherwise attempts on Fantasy have trouble venturing outside of "Tolkien-esque Fantasy").  I admire Dead Rising and Lolipop chainsaw for being more satirical with the goddamn zombie craze here (clearly; Japanese are to Mechas as Americans are to Zombies).  Eugh, whatever.   I'm sick of this discussion, I'm sure someone else will say it better (Ashton?).

Yodes: something tells me the ending of Ass Creed 3 is going to be the new Mass Effect 3 ending.  But I agree, I do think AssCreed is a really unique installment to story telling -- I think the concept itself was a big enough draw for a lot of people, it's goddamn awesome. And while I do love Japanese gaming, your probably right, it will be better than any other J-game this year.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »

Halo and Gears are practically the same goddamn concept of fighting bullshit in space

Um, what?
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 03:31:46 PM »

Is it just that Japanese gamers are less vocal about their likes and dislikes?
I mean Americans are pretty vocal if only looking at the Bioware forums.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 03:49:04 PM »

Halo and Gears are practically the same goddamn concept of fighting bullshit in space

Um, what?

You can distill anything to a generic idea like that.

Just as you can do the opposite.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 04:09:29 PM »

I thought journalists loved Gears' story and thought Bayonetta was just campy.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »

All this nonsense aside I can't remember one Japanese dev talking bad about Western developers in this entire generation. They always seem to admire their strengths, and most of them have showed in the past interest to produce more titles like them ending up with mixed results.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 06:40:13 PM »

maybe he's just bitter theres people that wont bat an eye at his game because its from a western dev? i only recently got a ps3 and have never played an ass creed game and have no real desire to. mainly because i assume its like hitman but in the past and stealth holds no interest for me.

edit:after reading the full article i take that statement back. he comes off sounding more like one of those republicans that hate affirmative action.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:51:32 PM by Alisha » Logged

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 12:08:55 AM »

"Won't bat an eye"?

Assassin's Creed games have consistently outsold most Japanese games in the west outside of big names like Mario.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 05:12:49 AM »

maybe he's just bitter theres people that wont bat an eye at his game because its from a western dev? i only recently got a ps3 and have never played an ass creed game and have no real desire to. mainly because i assume its like hitman but in the past and stealth holds no interest for me.

edit:after reading the full article i take that statement back. he comes off sounding more like one of those republicans that hate affirmative action.

Actually, you are probably correct in saying that he only makes the claims because there's people like you that dismiss Western games simply for having a Western flavor. That's kind of his point.

(Not that there isn't people that do the opposite anyway)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 02:15:30 PM »

This guy is a jerkoff.  Madden games aren't Japanese and have less innovation between iterations than Zelda or Mario, and Assassin's Creed is overrated.  You keep your glowing Madden reviews and Nintendo will keep their glowing Nintendo reviews, fucking jackoff jerkoff.

The statement about racism is just begging for attention, but I'll just share a quick story:

I ranted and raved about Nier to my best friend, who ranted and raved about Assassin's Creed 2.  We decided to exchange games, and neither of us finished the other game, and we never brought it up again.

It's not racism, but calling it racism gets the point across for the most part.  People's tastes really do seem to veer towards an entire style, be it eastern or western, regardless of their own race.  

My buddy was actually telling me about the plot of Assassin's Creed, and I was like "damn that is awesome, tell me more".  I enjoyed that more than playing the game myself, in a sense.  On the other hand, I had to tell him about Nier as vaguely as possible, and you know what he fucking says?  "Braid had a really crazy story that made me feel that way, you should check that out."  I couldn't even say a word to him, because commenting at all would ruin Nier.  Bastard.

Disclaimer: Uncharted 2 was a great time.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:33:39 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 04:09:33 PM »

Using Madden as a measuring stick for American games is as disingenuous as using Dating Sims as a measuring stick for Japanese ones, especially when you end up comparing them to giants of industry.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »

yup.  Just like penis size varies between races.

Also, Madden is a giant of industry.  I'm poking holes in the "Nintendo gets good reviews because they are Japanese and its all racist" argument that Masturbator McGee is making, though I could probably defend against the argument that Madden is a bad comparison :P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 11:43:15 AM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 08:36:47 AM »

Those poor oppressed white men!

Considering the flak Japanese games in general, and JRPGs specifically have taken this gen, I have no idea how he can make his point with a straight face.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: