Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 11:50:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327380 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Last Story - Out in North America
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: The Last Story - Out in North America  (Read 5913 times)
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 06:54:50 AM »

May pick this up eventually (assuming I can find it, haven't actually tried yet but if Xenoblade is anything to go by it might not be easy). I don't really want to throw another game on the ever growing backlog pile I've built up over the years. Until I'm through with Xenoblade I'm giving this one a miss.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 08:11:25 AM »

The "average" reviews have me hanging onto my wallet rather than opening it.  Got a lot on the burner for an ok title.

Read the Destructoid review, which gave it a four. Then read the comments, which pointed out the reviewer played with auto battling on the entire game because they are illiterate and can't read instructions. Take some of the reviews with a grain of salt.

I've seen Kotaku's reviewer speculate that maybe the disparity can be attributed to whether they played with manual or auto attack on. Yeah, I think manual attack is far more interesting, only stick with auto if you're no good with the combat I guess.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 09:30:09 AM »

Destructoid review: ouch, that reviewer clearly didn't get it. I agree that it can take a little while to get the hang of the battle system, but once you do you shouldn't encounter those problems. And the crossbow leaving you wide open? Well, yeah, that's why you look for cover first! Most areas offer atleast several good spots. Just don't hide for too long, or the enemy will start going after your squishy mages.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 10:23:04 AM »

The "average" reviews have me hanging onto my wallet rather than opening it.  Got a lot on the burner for an ok title.

Read the Destructoid review, which gave it a four. Then read the comments, which pointed out the reviewer played with auto battling on the entire game because they are illiterate and can't read instructions. Take some of the reviews with a grain of salt.

When you have little money to spend, reviews are the best bet you got if considering a splurge (or gameplay vids).  I may get it; I got some crap to trade in, and I've learned to go with games I'm skeptic about, a lot have turned into pleasant surprises (Baten Kaitos, Theatrhythm, Bayonetta, Massy Effecty 2, Fatman Arkham Asy).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »

This looks interesting, but no way am I dropping $50 on it. Heck, I haven't even gotten around to playing Xenoblade yet. Maybe I'll pick it up when it eventually gets down to $20 or so. I would play it for at least 6 months anyway.

Reviews ARE important. I can't stand when I see people comment on a review saying that a reviewer is wrong and that you should just try it for yourself. So i'm supposed to buy every single game just to try them out? That's idiotic. We HAVE to rely on reviews to figure out which games to buy, and which to skip. Just don't rely on only one or two.
I read the Destructoid review, including the comments. Manual may be the best way to play, but it's not the default. I tend to agree with the reviewer that the default should be the developers intended way to play the game. If it's better in Manual, than THAT should be the default,. with Auto being an option. I probably would have done the same thing as him.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 11:38:44 AM »

I got Xenoblade, but this doesn't look as good.  A couple reviewers talk about whiny characters, and I can not stand those types. Might pick it up when its cheap.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 11:44:52 AM »

I read the Destructoid review, including the comments. Manual may be the best way to play, but it's not the default. I tend to agree with the reviewer that the default should be the developers intended way to play the game. If it's better in Manual, than THAT should be the default,. with Auto being an option. I probably would have done the same thing as him.

Sometimes developers make mistakes that are relatively simple for the user to fix, and I'd say this could be one of them. Plus I think the idea was to not alienate turn based RPG fans who don't want to deal with more action-y combat, whereas people who want to dig in deeper (or more accurately actually press a button to swing instead) can flip that on. Your swings DO do more damage in auto for some reason, maybe they're less frequent or whatever.

Also something to keep in mind: Jim Sterling's reviews tend to be... divisive. That doesn't mean disregard his opinion entirely, but take it with a grain of salt and look into what others are saying, he's the kind of guy who'll slam a game everyone else loves, and vice versa as his Deadly Premonition review shows compared to the Metacritic average, nevermind the fact the user scores there tell their own story.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »

I got Xenoblade, but this doesn't look as good.  A couple reviewers talk about whiny characters, and I can not stand those types. Might pick it up when its cheap.

Some might seem a little whiny, but most don't get much screentime anyway. Team members don't have much to say outside of missions (and during missies it's mostly funny banter and strategy talk). Also, one of the whiny ones pees his pants, so you'll atleast get some revenge for having to listen to him whine. The hero himself is just kind of bland. The princess too, I guess. The way see acts, it's as if she played several dozen JRPGs, took notes and used those to shape her personality and actions.

Jim Sterling

I didn't look at the name, but that explains a lot. The guy is also a Xenoblade fan and if you play The Last Story after Xenoblade, you're bound to be disappointed.
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 01:43:27 PM »

Sometimes developers make mistakes that are relatively simple for the user to fix, and I'd say this could be one of them. Plus I think the idea was to not alienate turn based RPG fans who don't want to deal with more action-y combat, whereas people who want to dig in deeper (or more accurately actually press a button to swing instead) can flip that on. Your swings DO do more damage in auto for some reason, maybe they're less frequent or whatever.

Also something to keep in mind: Jim Sterling's reviews tend to be... divisive. That doesn't mean disregard his opinion entirely, but take it with a grain of salt and look into what others are saying, he's the kind of guy who'll slam a game everyone else loves, and vice versa as his Deadly Premonition review shows compared to the Metacritic average, nevermind the fact the user scores there tell their own story.

the auto as the default probably makes sense if your using the wiimote an nunchuck combo but not so much if your using classic pro and i think that is why they did that. everyone has a wiimote nunchuck not everyone has the classic.

all the characters are tropes. i don't know how old zael is supposed to be but he looks older than he acts in regards to the princess but acts his age most of the time otherwise. i think it's supposed to be showing he's honorable but it doesn't translate well. there is a part where someone get poisoned and what does zael say "there has to be an antidote somewhere around here" that flawed logic sorta took me out of it but other than that everything seems pretty likeable. the combat sometimes takes me awhile to figure out what the strategy is when the team yells shit out i'm like what? what does that mean? or what next? (it's probably my fault cause i have a hard time retaining anything in the quick tutorials unless i have to use it right then.) so then when i figure it out it seems fulfilling, i get trounced in the mean time though. if it's only 20-30 hours i think i'm gonna try to blaze though this then go back to the longer darksiders, arkham city and xenooblade that i've been taking turns on.   
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 03:28:45 PM »

After the letdown that was Nier all the jrpgs I really want to play are on the Wii. fuck that.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 10:58:22 PM »

After the letdown that was Nier all the jrpgs I really want to play are on the Wii. fuck that.

Play it on Easy Mode and enjoy the story

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 12:26:02 AM »

Sometimes I get really confused why RPGs focus so heavily on the same character tropes we see over and over in JRPGs. Wether its the amnesiac protagonist or the mysteries girl who ends up holding the fate of all the world (which it seems tis game may have), Don't these game writers get bored of this stuff? There are so many interesting stories to be told, and in so many ways to tell them. Why do we keep being told the same story over and over?

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 02:30:46 AM »

Multiple reasons, I think. The first one is that it's safe. It's something players have come to expect from their favorite genre, if they don't like it they'll atleast tolerate it. Developing games for modern systems is expensive, so most developers want to play it safe. It makes sense to keep something players recognize in every new game. Developers that want to innovate usually  try something new with either the story/setting/characters or gameplay, not both at once.

Another reason is that some writers may be stuck in there comfortzone. They write one type of story and write it well (well, sorta, kinda, maybe...?), and as long as developers (who may be the same people as the writers!) are willing to use those stories, writers are allowed to remain safely in their zone.

A select few may be telling the same story again and again for personal reasons. They have a certain story in their head they can't turn into a game the way they'd like to due to budget restraints, time restraints and so on. The final product is never quite what they want it to be, so they keep trying. I think that's how we went from Xenogears to Xenoblade.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »

Play it on Easy Mode and enjoy the story

It's easy enough. I just hate the game. And yes I gave it a fair shot, maybe 3 hours or so.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 09:15:06 AM »

It's easy enough. I just hate the game. And yes I gave it a fair shot, maybe 3 hours or so.

It takes awhile to really get going story-wise. Of course, whether or not you'd want to invest that time anyway is a relevant question
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: