Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 03:25:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330170 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Last Story - Out in North America
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: The Last Story - Out in North America  (Read 6237 times)
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »

Multiple reasons, I think. The first one is that it's safe. It's something players have come to expect from their favorite genre, if they don't like it they'll atleast tolerate it. Developing games for modern systems is expensive, so most developers want to play it safe. It makes sense to keep something players recognize in every new game. Developers that want to innovate usually  try something new with either the story/setting/characters or gameplay, not both at once.

Another reason is that some writers may be stuck in there comfortzone. They write one type of story and write it well (well, sorta, kinda, maybe...?), and as long as developers (who may be the same people as the writers!) are willing to use those stories, writers are allowed to remain safely in their zone.

A select few may be telling the same story again and again for personal reasons. They have a certain story in their head they can't turn into a game the way they'd like to due to budget restraints, time restraints and so on. The final product is never quite what they want it to be, so they keep trying. I think that's how we went from Xenogears to Xenoblade.

Ya those are all very good points. I was thinking to myself why Books and Movies don't seem to have this issue. I mean you have such a large variety of stories being told and often in very compelling ways. The thing is I guess there are plenty of pandering movies being made, saying the same things that have been said plenty times before. The thing is its balanced out a little better with all of the good stuff being put out.

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 09:23:11 PM »

so i'm at chapter 31 and i think i'm done with this game. seriously this battle it so fucking annoying.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2012, 03:10:58 AM »

Those things with the laserbeams? Yeah, those are horrible. Probably the worst fights in the game (yep, there are multiple...).
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2012, 11:03:20 AM »

yeah. seriously those things are obnoxious and they are hard enough on manual i can't even imagine anyone on auto would finish that part. and there is more of them later? i get to the bottom of the steps and get slaughtered.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 04:05:40 PM »

They do very little damage if you have decent armour, so auto-attack is actually kind of useful there. If I recall correctly, I ate lunch during one of those battles.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 04:54:36 PM »

They do very little damage if you have decent armour, so auto-attack is actually kind of useful there. If I recall correctly, I ate lunch during one of those battles.

Tomara just gained a level in badass.
You are awesome for lunch-boss-killing!! x)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2012, 06:24:42 AM »

for me the books/movies comparison doesnt work because you need a conflict that requires combat of some type in video games.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »

yeah i turned on auto just to see if it might be easier for me, it was actually worse. i think it might be an issue of armor i'm not really doing any side dungeons much or maybe i'm not doing the correct set of tactics
Code:
i burst to slow them down but callista keeps getting ko'd/dying before she could be useful.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2012, 07:31:41 AM »

Tomara just gained a level in badass.
You are awesome for lunch-boss-killing!! x)

I shouldn't eat while gaming though. It's a bad habit :(

yeah i turned on auto just to see if it might be easier for me, it was actually worse. i think it might be an issue of armor i'm not really doing any side dungeons much or maybe i'm not doing the correct set of tactics

Ah, that makes. I did do all the sidemissions and the extra exp and materials are pretty useful. Some of those missions are pretty cool too. I really liked the haunted mansion where you have to chase the boss.
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2012, 11:20:32 AM »

i did do that one, it was pretty sweet.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2012, 06:58:57 PM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/20/the-last-story-is-xseeds-most-successful-title-to-date/

For those who missed it the first time around.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2012, 07:14:30 PM »

I ran through the game on normal, auto mode. Nothing really gave me much of an issue outside of the party stupidity when it came to using elements enemies absorbed. Drove me nuts at times. I even played some multiplayer to experience everything. Game is definitely better than xenoblade, and Dagren was my favorite character in game. Mirania's eating fetish proved lulzy at times too.

TASTY!
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2012, 02:39:46 AM »

I played The Last Story and Xenoblade back to back and I must say I found the former paled in comparison to the latter. Not to say TLS was bad.  It just didn't draw me in gameplay-wise or story-wise.  I did appreciate it's brevity especially after the marathon that was Xenoblade. 

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Tankallex
Warrior

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2012, 03:55:41 AM »

I'm only on chapter 2 on this game, I have to say I'm having a hard time keeping interested. I feel I should have driven the extra few miles and picked up Xenoblade...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2012, 04:11:03 AM »

I'm only on chapter 2 on this game, I have to say I'm having a hard time keeping interested. I feel I should have driven the extra few miles and picked up Xenoblade...

Xenoblade really should be the higher priority, while some prefer Last Story they're the minority, and Last Story will probably be easier to find in the long run.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: