Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 11:25:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327149 Posts in 13391 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Creator of Diablo asked about D3; D3 devs reply
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Creator of Diablo asked about D3; D3 devs reply  (Read 815 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2012, 10:02:11 AM »

So I just caught on the latest Internet drama happening. Here are the Google caches of IncGamers.

Interview:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3Adiablo.incgamers.com%2Fblog%2Fcomments%2Finterview-diablo-creator-david-brevik-discusses-his-feelings-on-diablo-3&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS439US439&sugexp=chrome,mod=18&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Response:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3Adiablo.incgamers.com%2Fblog%2Fcomments%2Fdiablo-3-developers-react-angrily-to-dave-brevik-interview&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS439US439&sugexp=chrome,mod=18&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Who is who:
http://i.imgur.com/r1y1k.png

This and every Bioware drama makes me think that any gaming company should make their employees sign a contract that they will not discuss inner details or opinions of their work on ANY social platforms =/

Also, I wonder if this is how it feels to have ungrateful children?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:04:40 AM by Annubis » Logged
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:33:21 AM »

They will almost certainly get in trouble with their employer for talking about work on social media.

And I don't know about ungrateful children - he pretty much did say "they did it differently than I would have, so it sucks."  It's hard to just shrug that off and say "well, clearly he knows best."  After all, as the devs mention on that Facebook post, the dude has not covered himself in unremitting glory since leaving the company.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:38:56 AM »

And I don't know about ungrateful children - he pretty much did say "they did it differently than I would have, so it sucks."  It's hard to just shrug that off and say "well, clearly he knows best."  After all, as the devs mention on that Facebook post, the dude has not covered himself in unremitting glory since leaving the company.

You probably could've still been more polite responding to something like that if you REALLY felt the need to do so. Or just focus on Hellgate London, better than going "fuck you" to what basically amounted to "well I'd have done things differently".
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 05:33:13 PM »

Can't argue with that.  Always best to take the high road when possible.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:40:50 AM »

Somebody needs to tell Blizzard employees to "Stay away from the Facebook":
http://i.imgur.com/y3CsB.png
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 12:45:27 PM »

I can understand them being upset about his comments, but Jay Wilson's 'fuck that loser' seems ridiculously incendiary. They're doing their best to make the game as good as they can (and I think it's already great), but it's not like the guy said anything worse than what people on BNet's forums did.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:38:43 PM »

To me, it's kind of like the difference between random moviegoers saying your movie sucked and having M. Night Shyamalan saying your movie sucked, and it would have been better if he had made it.  If I were a moviemaker, I'd certainly be more pissed about the latter than I would about the former.

—Kurt Vonnegut
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 01:59:31 PM »

For the record I'm just gonna say I agree with every veiled criticism David Brevik has about Diablo 3. ;-)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 03:27:50 PM »

On a related note, the new patch just came out and it's awesome.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 05:30:20 PM »

To me, it's kind of like the difference between random moviegoers saying your movie sucked and having M. Night Shyamalan saying your movie sucked, and it would have been better if he had made it.  If I were a moviemaker, I'd certainly be more pissed about the latter than I would about the former.

I dunno, maybe a better comparison would be Ridley Scott or something? Then again he seemed to have a few brilliant movies earlier in his career and many relatively mediocre ones afterwards, it just seems more relevant given we DID in fact see a contrast with what he would've done (Prometheus) and what others would've done (everything else from Aliens onwards).

Then again M. Night Shyamalan DID have one or two big successes then a truly epic fall, whereas Ridley Scott never made anything as TRULY reviled, just disappointing, so maybe someone like Hironobu Sakaguchi is better compared to Ridley Scott? But I'm probably over analyzing this analogy.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:32:15 PM by Eusis » Logged
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 10:24:46 PM »

Yeah, I was just thinking "who made some really good movies in the beginning, but has only made not very good ones since?"  Shyamalan is who came to mind for me, but I can't argue that the other guys you said are wrong.

Edit: holy crap, new patch.  I wasn't going to play tonight, but I'm downloading that mother and might have to try it out!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:07:43 PM by Tooker » Logged

—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: