Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 01:59:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334699 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Sleeping Dogs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Sleeping Dogs  (Read 3282 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 07:53:30 PM »

RPGfan... what is RPG????

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 07:58:43 PM »

This game was great. Ending felt rushed, but I was still pretty satisfied.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 09:39:18 PM »

So why don't people consider Yakuza an RPG?  I haven't played it so I don't know.  Thanks.

To be honest, Yakuza IS one of those cases that's on the line: you could reasonably make a good enough argument either way for it. I get the impression Sleeping Dogs is further from that line however, and so would probably not qualify for most people.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 08:48:45 AM »

I played Sleeping Dogs briefly at E3.  It was fun and very over-the-top.  I hope the game can maintain that good first impression it gave me.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 01:17:23 PM »

Apparently there' a demo out now if you haven't tried the game yet.

I didn't get my hands on the game at E3 so I'll have to go that route. Still not sure if want the full game.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 02:33:47 PM »

So why don't people consider Yakuza an RPG?  I haven't played it so I don't know.  Thanks.

It just really depends on who you ask.  I know RPGamer regularly reviews the Yakuza games because they consider them RPGs.  We didn't make the same connection over here.  Because the lines are blurring, it's more difficult to determine what game is what genre, so we often determine what is an RPG for RPGFan coverage based on marketing from the publisher and developer, hands-on with the title and significant staff discussion.  You also get shifts - our discussion said Darksiders 1 was not an RPG.  Darksiders II added a full-fledged loot system and we felt like that pushed it over the edge, so our reviewers are working on it.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
The Legendary Zoltan
Narcissistic Legend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 05:20:42 PM »

I see.  Thank you, John

Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »

Just completed the game, here is a quick review: Awesome, buy it. It'll give you a good week.

Here is the longer version:
I was tied between this and Darksiders 2 like most people the last week. So I chose this. At first, I'll admit, it was completely boring. Eventually I realized what the story was doing, giving time to know the characters before shit hits the fan. The story in this game is awesome, although the ending was a bit rushed. I really hope we see a continuation of the story, but with the sales doing so well, I think we will.

Gameplay wise, it is really fun. There is so much to do in Hong Kong, and the city feels alive. The fighting system is reminiscent of Batman, but a little bit more difficult. Gunplay is fantastic, and I think thats because there isn't very many missions in the first half with the gunplay. When you get there, it is glorious. Car chases, are fantastic as well. Action Hijack really makes the car chases fantastic. And the slow mo you get when doing certain things really reminds me of Max Payne 3, but with a kung-fu flair to it.

Sorry if it was overly gushy, the credits are still going on in the tv next to me. If you don't like it, stick with it, it gets sooooo good.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 03:18:05 AM »

my one sentence review: Less clunky Yakuza.  (I love Yakuza BTW).

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 08:30:35 PM »

Bumping for "Square Enix Character Pack".

Sleeping Dogs costume pack adds Hitman, Deus Ex, Just Cause characters -- Source: Polygon

"The add-on, which costs $1.99 on PlayStation Network and Steam, and 160 Microsoft Points on Xbox Live Marketplace, includes character skins from three of Square Enix's games: Agent 47 from the upcoming Hitman: Absolution, Adam Jensen from 2011's Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Rico Rodriguez from 2010's Just Cause 2."

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: