Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 12:53:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327557 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Squeenix teases 13-3?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Squeenix teases 13-3?  (Read 7228 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2012, 09:19:24 AM »

http://finalfantasy13game.com/astormgathers/

I have no idea.  Third time's a charm, they say.

Cheese Level is at a steady 6 right now...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:23:01 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 09:33:55 AM »

I'm looking forward to the announcement. I have my doubts this will actually be called "XIII-3" though, but we'll see.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:51:29 AM »

Final Fantasy XIII-3: The even biggerest anime.

Don't know how they're going to top the fan-fiction level marty stu villain from XIII-2, but being Squeenix they'll probably find a way (and it'll probably involve Gackt in someway or another).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 10:04:38 AM »

(and it'll probably involve Gackt in someway or another).

Don't even dare to joke about that. ;_;
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 12:12:48 PM »

I'm looking forward to the announcement. I have my doubts this will actually be called "XIII-3" though, but we'll see.

I have a feeling they wont abandon a naming convention like that.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 12:22:33 PM »

I have a feeling they wont abandon a naming convention like that.

FF13-2-2.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 01:55:42 PM »

So lets see if I have this right, FFXIII is considered to be the one of the worst entries in the FF franchise, so it gets the most direct sequels? Despite the terrible opinion these games have, they must have some incredible sales figures behind them, either that or its an excuse to reuse assets and save some money.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »

Or, think of it like this: S-E has a brand that they're forced to live with. When faced with poor opinion, instead of abandoning the brand, they have to work extra hard to fix it. Thankfully, I think FFXIII-2 went a long way to saving the name.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 02:15:33 PM »

Square used to do that by making a new game and calling it Final Fantasy++. VIII was panned, and yet they didn't feel like blasting us with a bazillion direct sequels until they got one right. One of my personal big offenders in FFXIII was the battle system and its going to take a lot more than adding a few QTEs to make up for it. Until they change that particular element, I really don't care much for the series.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 02:20:44 PM »

Or, think of it like this: S-E has a brand that they're forced to live with. When faced with poor opinion, instead of abandoning the brand, they have to work extra hard to fix it. Thankfully, I think FFXIII-2 went a long way to saving the name.

I'm 100% agreed. I think XIII-2 was a great improvement over XIII, and depending on what they do with Lightning next, I may or may not be pleased.

Really, you can work with *whatever* franchise. Each individual game, with its story and gameplay elements, will be judged accordingly. This is especially true for anything Nomura touches. You can love or hate his character designs, but he isn't the one who makes or breaks a game. Proof positive: Parasite Eve series. First one is pretty rad, 2nd is ... well, people have mixed opinions on it, but in retrospect it's still pretty good. And then 3rd birthday is just terrible.

ALSO -- I don't know where the official source is for this, but I have it on good authority that at that 25th anniv. event, they will also be selling/releasing "Chips" albums for FFVII, VIII, IX, and X, as they did with FFXI with that "XI Chips" album released for FFXI's 10th anniversary a few months ago. And as far as I'm concerned, they can feel free to milk the arranged albums as long as the quality stays high. "Shut up and take my money" etc

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 02:28:41 PM »

Siliconera is saying they're going a different direction.... Curious if it'll be action oriented (I don't know where they could go from where they are anyways...unless, instead of monsters, a card-based battle system gets thrown in :P ).

I really like what Prime Mover mentioned though; and I hate the fact they're not letting 13 die (especially given the tangent 13-2 took story-wise), but I guess with the initial flop 14 was, no one wants to look back at a "dark age" for FF or something... Something just feels weird when they're trying to "fix a brand" like that.  I do think 13-2 was better, but ...your mileage may vary on that one for how much it did.

I've said it before... where's my remakes for FF 5, 6, and 7??? >=(
Rather that than this really.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:34:34 PM by Dice » Logged

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 03:01:35 PM »

ALSO -- I don't know where the official source is for this, but I have it on good authority that at that 25th anniv. event, they will also be selling/releasing "Chips" albums for FFVII, VIII, IX, and X, as they did with FFXI with that "XI Chips" album released for FFXI's 10th anniversary a few months ago. And as far as I'm concerned, they can feel free to milk the arranged albums as long as the quality stays high. "Shut up and take my money" etc

IX seems like a perfect candidate to get the most out of the chiptune sound.
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »

Maybe a portable title?
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »

I'm just curious as to where they're getting the cutting room leftovers this time since I can't imagine having enough scraps left over from FFXIII-1 to make XIII-3 out of.

(Maybe they're pulling assets out of their asses FFXIV-1. Wouldn't surprise me if they did.)

Siliconera is saying they're going a different direction.... Curious if it'll be action oriented (I don't know where they could go from where they are anyways...unless, instead of monsters, a card-based battle system gets thrown in :P ).

I bet they're going to go with platforming, because it worked so very well for XIII-2. /sarcasm

Serious guess would be minigames now on top of QTEs. :v

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »

Maybe they'll just stop making new numbered titles and just keep making direct XIII sequels. Then when they get to XIII-XIII you'll play as the Munsters.

I even got your battle theme right here!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: