Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 12:33:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338111 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Squeenix teases 13-3?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Squeenix teases 13-3?  (Read 8867 times)
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 08:32:21 PM »

I'm looking forward to the announcement. I have my doubts this will actually be called "XIII-3" though, but we'll see.

I have a feeling they wont abandon a naming convention like that.

FF13-2-2.

haha! O how I hope they really do this

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Kratoscar2008
Wayfarer of forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 08:52:18 PM »

If they want to die then be my guest, there are better rpgs out there than the FF series and so if they die i couldnt careless.

Lightning could fit an action game easily because in action games the personality of the MC is not as important as its actions (ie kickassering) and Lightning coul hide her COMPLETE lack of personality.

The FF name is stained beyond cleaning.

The True Growlanser
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 09:06:33 PM »

Somehow I'm not surprised you hold that kind of opinion.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 09:44:57 PM »

i joked on gamefaqs that it would be a rebranded versus with lightning as the main character. that being said i recently got around to playing FFXIII and i dont fully understand the hate. areclyte steppe blew me away. and eden gave me flashbacks of lunar cry in FF VIII.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 09:53:50 PM »

I don't think FFXIII-2 is an improvement over FFXIII.  In fact, I think it harmed the brand name even more.  Off-line FF games were always focused on strong plot and characters, but XIII was a serious step-back in that direction.  The story is confusing, the characters are uninspired and the dialogs are cliche and boring.  Instead of improving on this, the plot and characters in XIII-2 were even worse.   Nothing in this game clarify the story, the overall mythos or make the characters interesting.  And the ending was absolutely atrocious.   I was disappointed after playing 13 but 13-2 disappionted me even more.  At this point I doubt I will buy 13-3, maybe after the price-drop.  Incidentally, 13-2's price drops like a brick, it's only $20 in amazon now...
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 09:56:03 PM »

i joked on gamefaqs that it would be a rebranded versus with lightning as the main character. that being said i recently got around to playing FFXIII and i dont fully understand the hate. areclyte steppe blew me away. and eden gave me flashbacks of lunar cry in FF VIII.

Same here. I've been enjoying my 2nd playthrough of XIII a lot lately, and I think I'm beginning to understand how FFVIII fans feel having a bunch of people hating on a game you enjoy. :p

FF never really had an identity to protect, it never had one. Besides, what Final Fantasy is about changes with either each game or generation.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 10:09:43 PM »

...i couldnt careless.

I love this

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kratoscar2008
Wayfarer of forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 10:18:02 PM »

Same here. I've been enjoying my 2nd playthrough of XIII a lot lately, and I think I'm beginning to understand how FFVIII fans feel having a bunch of people hating on a game you enjoy. :p

FF never really had an identity to protect, it never had one. Besides, what Final Fantasy is about changes with either each game or generation.

Im a FFVIII fan (FF5 and FFVIII, these two very underrated games are my favorite) and its a heck of a game and this one  i dont get the hate while FFXIII i completely understand.

I have enjoyed all FF games (Numbered except XI and XIII) even the allegedly worst FF being 2 i finished on the PS1 and FFXIII is just too horrendous, the gameplay is just there because its a game otherwise would be a lame sci-fi book.

Like 6 years ago i beat the original FFIII (Nes graphics english patch) and it was a great experience and FFXIII on the other hand with its jaw breaking graphics didnt motivated me to finish i got Fang and later i dropped the game entirely.

FF games had a reputation so high that you just needed to purchase the game witouth any doubts and nw you must read reviews and carefully research to know if its the game for you, FF now is just a name nothing more.

The True Growlanser
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 02:39:51 AM »

I'll say this as somebody who's sat through both games.

At least FFXIII-2 could be considered a game, if a bland one, rather than a tech demo like its predecessor was.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »

At least FFXIII-2 could be considered a game, if a bland one, rather than a tech demo like its predecessor was.

I almost agree with this.  I liked FF13 for a while.  But after you realize ALL there is to do is fight, then yeah, I sympathize with the "tech demo" comment.

I dunno... maybe it's just the battle system that people can't love.  Turn-based that moves with such a ridiculous speed that an "auto battle" option is necessary?  FFX had quick turn-based, KH does quick RPG-like gameplay, Star Ocean and Tales have perfected real-time RPGs.

Maybe the formula is just wrong?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 10:40:27 AM »

if you think it's slow your doing it wrong. its actually so fast i think they wanted it to be more like KH but had to keep it in the confines of an rpg. also auto battle sucks.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 11:43:46 AM »

I almost agree with this.  I liked FF13 for a while.  But after you realize ALL there is to do is fight, then yeah, I sympathize with the "tech demo" comment.

I dunno... maybe it's just the battle system that people can't love.  Turn-based that moves with such a ridiculous speed that an "auto battle" option is necessary?  FFX had quick turn-based, KH does quick RPG-like gameplay, Star Ocean and Tales have perfected real-time RPGs.

in regards to the battle system i've said it before on other threads, i like what it was trying to do (quick and actiony) but the execution really didn't pan out for me. if it were either turn based or action it would've felt better cause for me that middle ground didn't really scratch the itch of either and wasn't compelling enough as it's own thing. if they made it an action based title like star ocean, it makes the lackluster characters a little more tolerable cause at least the gameplay is fun. or if they want to keep it turn based to stick to tradition they only have to look at SMT games to figure it out, it's called auto battle it makes turn based snappy and when you can turn it off at any time you can still have tactics involved too. making it so i have to stagger every enemy really killed the dynamics too there wasn't much of a strategy except stagger then dps it. so for me i'd say yes the formula was wrong.
Kratoscar2008
Wayfarer of forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 12:02:23 PM »

Its totally wrong, a thing i like of turn based gameplay is that you can take your time admiring enemies, characters, scenary and is you who set the pace of the battle not the game like with most action based rpgs and thats why i dont into the Tales games (And its annoying characters).

FFXIII completely obliterate the tradition of good turn based gameplay and is another plus to hate it. I dont know why people think that action based gameplay is a natural evolution of the genre.

The True Growlanser
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »

Actually. I don't think the battle system was what was wrong with the game. After all XIII-2 made itself into a fairly serviceable, if bland, game using the same system as XIII-1.

The problem with XIII-1 was that the game did not trust you with it at all. Instead of giving you most of your basic options right away you're forced through a tutorial for each and every one of them over the course of the first 2/3rds of the game. By the time you can change your party leader and rearrange your party load out, you're right outside of Space Pope's door for the first time and one awful corridor away from planet Namek for your requisite training montage. To further drive the point home you have meaningless tutorials like the weather control devices that show up in all of one area, an unreliable preemptive strike mechanic which is almost completely random, enemy encounters that almost always just sit in the middle of the corridor and are impossible to get around or ignore, rushed plot upgrades like the three elideons you get during your training montage on planet Namek, one non-plot mandated upgrade mechanic which is so convoluted that it's justifiably better left til post game due to how inefficient and farming intensive it is, and the fact that the main character advancement system (i.e. the Crystarium) is so heavily contingent on the progress of the plot that you can't even get full access to it until the post game.

The problem with XIII-2 was that the game felt low effort and presented low challenge and a high encounter rate. The only differences in time periods within the same area are where the artificial barricades are placed and what lighting/particle filter they're using. You get to make no meaningful influences on any time period since the plot would break into a paradox ending if you didn't do what was required of you. And even the non-linearity felt contrived to a certain respect due to how the plot mandated you into everything.

The worst part of both games though is just how little agency and relevance to the plot you're given. In XIII-1 every time you fight the Space Pope, he simply gets right back up again, brushes himself off, and tells you to :frogout: until you're stronger until the third time where he gets tired of this and fusion-has to the other Robo God as per his original unhindered plan. Beating that Robo God just results in a TPZ (total party zombification) save for the real stars of the show Fang and Vanille (Lightning and the others only really existed to provide moral support) then a literal Deus Ex Machina occurs, Fang and Vanille fusion-has into the final form of the main character from the anime S-cry-ed and bullshits a happy ending out of their combined asses.

At least until XIII-2 comes along to retcon it into a lovely fanfiction where Lightning is now a Valkyrie Profile rassalin' with the biggest loser Squeenix has ever set upon players as a final antagonist (yes, even worse than Shoe-in from X-2) while Sora from Kingdom Hearts shows up to team up with Serrah-chan and a goofy Moogle. Now they go along solving paradoxes, and helping others with their paradoxes, and paradoxes, paradoxes, paradoxes, paradoxes.... until they finally throw down with purple Sephiroth wielding Soul Edge in a form fitting full body suit (after like the third or fourth time) and regardless of your choices he commits suicide while simultaneously shitting the timeline and reality up as per his original plan which was impossible to stop since he had already won vis-a-vis paradoxes.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 01:06:35 PM »

My biggest beef with FFXIII's battle system is the lack of options.  There's no depth.  The idea of abstracting control with the paradigm system was interesting but at the end of the day you only had 6 paradigms to choice from so there weren't actually many choices to make.  Every single battle could be won with the same strategy.  And I mean every single battle.  First buff/debuff, then focus on damage with some healing thrown in, and once the enemy is staggered go all with damage.  There, I just described every single battle in the entire friggin game.

Oh, and then there's the stagger system itself.  It's a fine idea, but in order to have it actually be important in regular battles they had to give even regular enemies tons of hit points (otherwise you could just kill them normally), which meant that even normal encounters could drag on and on and on.  And that's without necessarily being any more difficult, just time consuming.  How does anyone play this game without becoming bored to tears?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: