Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 11:31:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319214 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Squeenix teases 13-3?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Squeenix teases 13-3?  (Read 6357 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2012, 11:12:21 PM »

Has anyone seen the trailer that shows the mythology of the FNC series? I found out about it just a few days ago, this should have been shown more prominently in XIII-2 rather than keeping it just a as video IMO.

Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology

It was released last year at the Square Enix 1st Production Department Premiere event.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2012, 01:09:31 AM »

Well, the story is that Basch was to be the main character, then Balthier. S-E got all pissy that the mains were a bunch of adults and not some teenage hussy, so Van was created. Executive meddling gone too far.

Well at least we have the XIII trilogy now, which was designed to hit all the Japanese demographics from the start.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2012, 02:05:17 AM »

mistakes FFVIII made include the following:

- Making the world setting so sparse you only encounter two major world powers and a handful of towns.
- The technological disparity between the two superpowers makes you wonder why any fucks are given for one of them.
- Flashbacks to a team of chucklefucks who don't do a damn thing worth mentioning for the time you flashback to them.
- Making the antagonist's big focus trying to figure out what the hell SeeD is (and TIME KOMPRESSION).
- Not making the other Sorceress the main antagonist (and I'm not talking about Edea).
- Making you cart around a team of nameless, faceless chucklefucks (with names and faces but "whatever" "....").
- Saddling you with the worst incarnation of the Final Fantasy female lead archetype ever created.
- Starting the game off in a Japanese High School setting.
- That's also a paramilitary organization that fulfills mercenary contracts between the one active world power and a few towns.
- That only employ Japanese highschoolers to fulfill said mercenary contracts.
- Armed only with memory wiping creatures and a couple crappy weapons.
- And are told nothing useful because, aside from the main character, they're just a distraction for the real A-Team.
- And their plot macguffin princess which is the one that actually matters to the main antagonist.

Oh man, yeah, maybe this is why for the life of me I *could not* give you a cohesive summary to what that game was about.
I think "few towns" is a bit of a mean criticism, it had them, and they served whatever purpose.  But then Esthar comes in and I foam at the mouth that some GARGANTUAN super city is lost to the world for some time. Then there's that bit with magical Ellone, the very creepy "Lunar Cry" (where monsters all come from the moon and take a trip to earth to raise a little hell for everyone), and the very manly Sorcer*ess* Adel who spouts three lines before you do battle against him/her.

The game had some fine ideas, but shot them out like diarrhea.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2012, 11:02:28 PM »

Customizable Lightning:

Oil painting by art director Isamu Kamikokuryo:

"Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII" Official site (English)
"Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII" Official site (Japanese)

・Producer: Yoshinori Kitase
・Director: Motomu Toriyama
・Game Design Director: Yuji Abe
・Art Director: Isamu Kamikokuryo

PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, 2013

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Presentation in English -- Source: Siliconera

News

Lightning Returns, and now she knows about timed hits -- Source: 1UP.com

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII first artwork -- Source: andriasang

What is Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII? -- Source: Nova Crystallis

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII announced for release in 2013 [Update] -- Source: Siliconera
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 01:26:38 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:58 PM »

Or hey, maybe it'll be an iOS thing.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2012, 12:41:14 AM »

Calling it now. FFXIII-4 will be Lightning Forever.

Sarcasm Edit: I absolutely love the brand new feature of being able to change Lightning's weapon model. What brand new features will they dream of next.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:50:15 AM by Aeolus » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2012, 01:17:36 AM »

Lightning's Revengeance.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2012, 01:44:22 AM »

Calling it now: This is going to be Final Fantasy's 'The 3rd Birthday'.

Strong female character, third game in the series, single-character focus with a more action oriented gameplay mindset w/swappable outfits...yep. T3B's written all over this.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2012, 02:57:48 AM »

Lightning's Revengeance.

Only if they throw up their hands and say "Fuck it! We don't know how to make games anymore. Quick, get the guys over at Platinum to make it for us."

Anyways I've been reading on impressions thus far and....
Quote from: Some Awful Goon
http://www.1up.com/previews/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-first-looks

quote:

More to the point, though, the title "Lightning Returns" speaks to broader changes to the series. While it looks to be running on a modified Final Fantasy XIII-2 engine, its play mechanics hint at fairly radical changes to the entire concept of Final Fantasy. For starters, Lightning Returns really is Lightning's game. She's not simply the main character, she's the sole playable character. Not unlike Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and its hero Zack Fair, the entire game revolves around her; she explores on her own, fights combat solo, and singlehandedly bears the burden of saving the world from a looming apocalypse. Surprisingly, the combat system takes an even more action-oriented style than Crisis Core. Square has completely swept away the menu-driven, hands-off system that served so effectively in the first two chapters of FFXIII, pouring its resources instead into a system that allows players to control Lightning directly in single combat against foes.

Menus are out. Instead, players instead can assign four skills or commands to the controller's face buttons and execute them instantly. If this sounds suspiciously similar to Kingdom Hearts, realize the overlap only goes so far. Lightning fights in a far less button-mashy style than Sora and friends, with considerably less air-combo time, and she's not limited to a single use of each power followed by a cooldown period. Instead, her commands run on a Active-Time Battle gauge in the classic Final Fantasy style, and each ability comes with a corresponding ATB cost. This system doesn't employ the same fixed costs as in FFXIII and XIII-2, though, and the meter isn't segmented as it was in those games. The result is a faster-paced battle system than in any previous Final Fantasy, but a far less manic one than in the earlier FFXIII titles. There's far less screen clutter and extraneous information flying about, and the battle camera stays fairly fixed on Lightning rather than cutting to dramatic angles in the heat of combat.

I'm not sure if this is a crazy pseudo-action-RPG or the description for the world's most involved QTE.

Also this is how the time mechanic works:

quote:

And time is of the essence in this game. Just as FFXIII spanned 13 days (revealed through flashbacks sprinkled throughout the story), LR:FFXIII also takes place across 13 days. In this case, however, that period of time serves as a countdown to an apocalypse. In just shy of two weeks, the world will end, and Lightning's goal is to prevent it.

This may sound awfully reminiscent of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, but I think a better comparison might be to Valkyrie Profile or Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. As in Valkyrie Profile -- a game created by tri-Ace, who incidentally co-developed FFXIII-2 -- Square tells us that if you reach the end of the 13-day countdown without having beaten the game, you may be thrust into the final battle regardless. On the other hand, you may also be able to start over, potentially carrying across skills and materials (the developers have yet to determine the specifics). In that sense, LR:FFXIII reminds us more of Dragon Quarter, a game designed around the assumption that you'd screw things up and need to restart, replaying the quest with enhanced strength and abilities that built with every new attempt.

What makes LR:FFXIII particularly Dragon Quarter-like is the way it treats time as a sort currency. Treasures cost time to access (the more powerful the item within, the more time required). Overclocking apparently burns several minutes per use, much like abusing the ability to transform into a dragon in Dragon Quarter added to the constant advance of Ryu's deadly D-meter, marking your progression to the inevitable end of your quest. And should Lightning fall in combat, it's not necessarily game over; rather, a menu appears that allows players to choose to quit or cast a healing spell. The rub? Casting a spell like Arise costs 100 minutes, a not-insignificant investment when you're on a 13-day deadline. Is it worthwhile to burn time and continue or simply accept failure gracefully? Trade-offs like these give Lightning Returns the potential to force interesting decisions on players, requiring consideration and long-term strategic thinking.

For the combat description, I'm going to defer to the goonpinion that this will either be something like Dynasty Warriors or that entirely QTE driven Ninja game Ninja Blade.

And I'll defer to the 1up dude that this game indeed sounds like a more Dragon Quarter-ish version of VP1 (and it even stars a Lenneth knockoff :v), however, I will add that I can totally hear the OCD pack-rat poison being poured into the bowl from here with how they're going to make you obsess over every little expenditure of time to get everything and Platinum the game with almost SaGa-ish levels of dickishness.

Also I will totally lol if this gets the 3rd Birthday treatment since the entire point to eliminating everybody but Lightning from the plot is so that nothing can stand in her way from being the rightful fan favorite she was destined to be (and constantly robbed of by having the personality of wet cardboard with a stick shoved up her sand laden neither regions). Of course if that did happen then I would have to get it just so that I can point at it still in the shrink wrap and say "And this is the exact moment when the Final Fantasy series had its final fantasy." (which is more than what I can say about the Megaman series since Legends 3 never came out).

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2012, 03:10:14 AM »

I don't know, the battle system actually sounds like an improvement to me.  I've gone on and on already about how I didn't like XIII's system so I won't rehash that.

Though I don't think Lightning was ever a good character and I wish they would move on...

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2012, 03:15:42 AM »

Did anyone noticed how the logo for the game is similar to the one in Skyrim?
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2012, 04:25:44 AM »

Wow, I could pretend I care, but I really don't.

I don't understand Square Enix at all.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2012, 10:39:22 AM »

Wow, Squeenix is just totally killing the "Final Fantasy"-ness of the game its hero originally came from. Once again, Squeenix doesn't seem to proud of the games they've made...
I like some of the ideas they got going, except the clock aspect, but having "more control" is 90% of the time a good thing.  I'll look forward to seeing a trailer before pissing all over it.

Besides a cool design, I agree with Kevadu... she's a boring chick.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2012, 10:55:29 AM »

sometimes people use nicknames in place of their real name but lightning is special and so she gave herself that nickname but then wants everyone to use a shortened version of that nickname making everyone wonder why she didnt just call herself light instead of lightning in the first place

god she is such a stupid character
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2012, 11:02:14 AM »

sometimes people use nicknames in place of their real name but lightning is special and so she gave herself that nickname but then wants everyone to use a shortened version of that nickname making everyone wonder why she didnt just call herself light instead of lightning in the first place

god she is such a stupid character

Post of the week.

Versus XIII was "cancelled" for this? Jesus Christ, Sqeenix is out of touch.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: