Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 07:16:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338512 Posts in 13855 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Guild Wars 2 Server Selection
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 Server Selection  (Read 12733 times)
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 11:03:14 PM »

Added a bunch of people.  Let me know if I missed anyone.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 06:19:30 PM »

toddjaynes.7239 add me!

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 07:23:22 PM »

Guild Wars 2 has the most well-crafted, thought-out game world I've ever experienced in an MMO to date.  It is not the most technically impressive game graphically, but artistically it is easily in a class of its own.  The vistas, which remind me a lot of Assassin's Creed's points where you can view a cityscape from high above, do an excellent job of highlighting some incredible scenery.  It isn't very often when you're fighting in a swamp area and realize how cool it looks.  Swamps are usually the worst, most visually depressing areas in RPGs.  I have yet to enter a region I didn't like.

The dynamic events, as I told Kincard on Mumble last night, are like a major evolution of the campaign system in Final Fantasy XI.  This became abundantly clear as I, along with hundreds of other players, would take control of various centaur outposts in the Harathi Hinterlands culminating into an epic final stand in their main fortress.  I liked campaign a lot, and these dynamic events have much more complex scripting which means I love it tons.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 09:43:48 PM »

The look of the game is something that I don't think enough of us pay attention to.  Granted, it's hard to focus on aesthetics when we're wailing on some zone boss with fifty other people, but I certainly can't think of another MMORPG that gets the small details down perfectly.  I can especially see it in the animation; the norn actually walk like small giants instead of large humans, with a slow, long stride and steady gait.  The asura have this little forward stumble they do when they land a running jump.  It's nothing that makes or breaks the game, but it shows the lengths ArenaNet went to to not only make a massive world with tons of things to do, but to make that world interesting down to the smallest minutiae.

I really wish my machine could handle it at higher settings.

Tsi Aileron

113308759 TsiAileron@hotmail.com Tsi+Aileron TsiAileron
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 10:54:03 PM »

I completely agree. I especially love the animations, they're all so detailed.

On another note. I hit 80 like 2 days ago, hah. Hooray, I have no life! Maybe I could get an officer rank since I never see any on? :p

Anyway, if someone could send my friends and invite to the guild, that would be great!

ZioRalsa.9832
Erratorsvm.7239

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 11:27:05 PM »

I'll add them tomorrow.  Feel free to give some input as to what we want to upgrade. 

And, good lord, I saw that you hit 80 and wanted to kill myself.  That's dedication! 
Tsi Aileron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 01:54:47 AM »

Politics maybe? Guild armor sounds neat, and you can get backpacks and such too. I just want officer so I can claim stuff for the guild in WvW! Not that it matters right now I suppose since don't have much of anything unlocked, yet.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 06:10:32 AM by Tsi Aileron » Logged

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 08:57:30 AM »

add xero.5463
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 01:45:26 PM »

Added everyone that asked and put some politics upgrades on the queue. 
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 04:07:50 PM »

Game is great.  Beautiful and fun, but dammit I'm always underleveled.  Maybe it's because I don't have a profession to boost my xp, but I've been thinking about taking up jewelcrafting.  I really haven't looked into crafting at all so I'm not sure.

Politics maybe? Guild armor sounds neat, and you can get backpacks and such too. I just want officer so I can claim stuff for the guild in WvW! Not that it matters right now I suppose since don't have much of anything unlocked, yet.

What is guild armor?  Is it like a tabard?

I really wish my machine could handle it at higher settings.

How much have you messed around with it?  Sometimes turning down minor things like shadows can have a huge impact on performance.  Turning down one thing might let you turn up 2 things somewhere else.   Also I heard updated drivers were making a huge difference.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 05:35:18 PM »

If you are underleveled, go to your home city and take an asura gate to Lion's Arch.  From there, you can take an asura gate to any of the other four races' starter cities and begin leveling there.

In fact, you should explore the entirety of all six major cities.  You get a ton of XP out of it, and there's a lot of cool stuff to see anyway.
Tsi Aileron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 06:34:50 PM »

What is guild armor?  Is it like a tabard?

Yeah, it's a transmute armor with the guild emblem on the tabard. They also have backpacks (like the engineer) that have stats for specific builds on them.

So, I logged on after the server restart and was presented with this... https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-t3gFG8LDBWs/UEhVHy6aPjI/AAAAAAAAB4Y/1VWjXQ6HjpA/s1920/gw191.jpg

Odd, seems to be working now though!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:51:44 AM by Tsi Aileron » Logged

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »

If you are underleveled, go to your home city and take an asura gate to Lion's Arch.  From there, you can take an asura gate to any of the other four races' starter cities and begin leveling there.

In fact, you should explore the entirety of all six major cities.  You get a ton of XP out of it, and there's a lot of cool stuff to see anyway.

Also in fact, if you're just now starting to craft, you'll probably need to do this anyway to get the mob drops necessary for damn near everything you make.  Might as well get them while exploring new territory, IMO.

Tsi Aileron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 04:09:03 PM »

I notice a lot of people in the guild are not representing it, so they can't use guild chat or earn influence. I'm not sure if this is by choice or not, but in case you don't know, all you have to do is pull up the guild menu and hit represent. :)

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 04:13:50 PM »

Thanks, that's a pretty good idea.  I didn't really think about exploring the cities too much, but the 2 cities I saw were damn awesome so I don't see why not to do this.

Yeah, it's a transmute armor with the guild emblem on the tabard. They also have backpacks (like the engineer) that have stats for specific builds on them.

Ah, thanks I see.  I don't know what a transmute armor is though =\

Also in fact, if you're just now starting to craft, you'll probably need to do this anyway to get the mob drops necessary for damn near everything you make.  Might as well get them while exploring new territory, IMO.

For the most part I kept all the claws, beaks, and such that dropped in my collectible tab.  I am, however, having to go back to chop wood and mine gold.  Not something I find particularly fun, so mixing your idea with Parn's is a great idea.

I ended up taking Jewel crafting and Artifice as my two professions.  Seems alright.  I like that you can discover new recipes by just trying new shit and seeing what works.  That's pretty cool.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: