Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 05:39:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335290 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What PSN Game Should I Buy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What PSN Game Should I Buy?  (Read 2382 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2012, 07:58:31 PM »

I decided to post this in General Discussion since there are some non-RPGs I'm choosing from, too.

I just bought a $20 PSN card, plus I can add up to $10 with my credit card. Which game(s) should I buy:

Legasista ($30) - It just came out, but it looks really interesting, and I enjoy a good rogue-like. I also greatly enjoyed Cladun, so I'm confident in the developer. It is the most expensive and risky purchase I could make, though. I can't forget how ZHP looked just as promising, only to get widely panned (at least from what I read of reviews and comments)...

Arcana Hearts 3 ($30) - Another expensive purchase, but I'm guaranteed to like this one. It's a fighting, and a deep one at that, and it's a series I recently got into. That's the problem, though. I still haven't played much of the first game in the series. This is supposed to be much better, I hear, but I feel like I should beat the first game, first, since I paid, like, $20 for it...

Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom ($25) - This one looks good, and I've heard good things about it. I've always wanted to try an Otome game, and I'm interested in a good story. With that said, I'm not a very big visual novel fan. Like, at all. Yet, I feel like that's probably what I want right now, seeing as I'm willing to put up with puzzles, rhythm mini-games, and court-room antics in my most recent purchases, just so I can get the story. Perhaps its time I got a game that cuts out the fat?

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls ($15) - I love this style of game, and I've played the demo for longer than any full retail game I own. It is very hard, though, and doesn't have much story to it. Still, it's the cheapest option. I might also be able to add $5 and get another game along with it.

Wild Arms 2 + Breath of Fire IV + Alundra ($18) - This gets me the most value for my money, but I don't know when I'd get to all of them. Plus I was kinda hoping for a newer game...

Whoa, this ended up being a lot longer than I expected. This is gonna be the last PSN purchase I make the rest of the year (unless I can work out a deal to get One Piece: Pirate Warriors, but that won't be until towards the end of the year). I really want to make sure it's a good decision, so any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 08:29:02 PM »

Persona 3 isn't on that list?

Get out.

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 10:51:28 PM »

Playstation Plus... then get Pacman Championship Edition DX... SO ADDICTIVE. @_@

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:34:03 PM »

Skullgirls is pretty cool. Haven't played much of it yet though, but it was money well spent when I bought it (is $15 on PSN I think).

From your list I'll go with Wizardry.

Playstation Plus... then get Pacman Championship Edition DX... SO ADDICTIVE. @_@

YES! @A@

I've played the demo alone so many times.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 11:55:09 PM »

Aint no party like a Corpse Party, cause Corpse Party is pretty fuckin' scary!

But yeah, it's mostly a VN with some light adventure game elements, and if you like horror games, this one delivers.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 12:39:57 AM »

But yeah, it's mostly a VN with some light adventure game elements, and if you like horror games, this one delivers.

Been wanting to try this one but I'm a pussy.

Persona 3 isn't on that list?

Get out.

Man with a Persona-related avatar is bias.  Show him up by not buying Persona and not feeding into his game.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 12:49:21 AM »

I'm gonna kick you like Kanji kicks Teddie.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 12:55:02 AM »

I'm gonna kick you like Kanji kicks Teddie.

Purse-Owner 4 sux.

O'DOYLE RULES!!!

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 12:57:19 AM »

D:

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »

I knew there was a game out there I was forgetting about! This sounded fun, but I was in the middle of something when it came out. Thanks for the reminder. Perhaps a good October game? Isn't this a PSP game?

OP: You need to play Journey. Short, but amazing.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »

I'd go with WA2/BoF4/Alundra 2 if you're in a RPG kick. 

Also for a write in, I'd say Outlands, but I'm not sure if that's a 360 exclusive or not.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »

I knew there was a game out there I was forgetting about! This sounded fun, but I was in the middle of something when it came out. Thanks for the reminder. Perhaps a good October game? Isn't this a PSP game?

OP: You need to play Journey. Short, but amazing.

It is PSP, lemme know how it is!

I don't know if I recommend Journey if the OP is short on funds...  It's four -- albeit amazing -- hours, so your mileage may vary if it's worth it.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 10:39:10 PM »

I decided to post this in General Discussion since there are some non-RPGs I'm choosing from, too.

Eh, most of them are RPGs, so I'm going to go ahead and move it for possibly better exposure. I guess it could go into Helper Monkey too, but it's not a PROBLEM and it's explicitely about what game(s) to get.

I don't have that much input to offer, but Legasista is effectively ClaDun 3, so if you liked the prior games that should be reasonably safe. And actually I liked what I played of ZHP, it's basically Disgaea transformed into a Roguelike, albeit with all that entails.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 11:27:46 PM »

Been wanting to try this one but I'm a pussy.

C'mon Dice, you are SERIOUSLY missing out! Corpse Party is simply freaking awesome!!!!!

Everything's Eventual
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 10:31:10 PM »

I vote AGAINST Wizardry but since you appear to love it, it should give a great deal of fun for a good price!
I'm on the fence about trying Hakuoki myself and while I'm not the biggest visual novel fan myself, I gotta admit that when the plot/characters are good a visual novel can be so much better in a matter of minutes. I had played some here and there but after 999 everything changed and I would certainly give this a chance.

If anything to go with Hakuoki, I say since you're not in the mood for some mechanics a visual novel if anything can be incredibly relaxing and fun to play while you're laying down on your bed.
Oh, a good recommendation since it's also on PSN and for a decent price: Corpse Party!

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: