Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 04:43:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327437 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Slender
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Slender  (Read 1104 times)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2012, 06:39:57 AM »

I'm not sure if there are many survivor horror fans here but since a lot of us are into immersion in games, one of the best things in RPGs, a survival horror might be a nice recommendation.

I don't want to say to much so I don't ruin the surprise, but in short, this FREE game called Slender is based on an urban legend of a creepy guy who scares people.
This game is short, about 30 min to beat, and about 50mb to download and can run in pretty much nay PC these days.

Now from my personal experience, I heard it was best to play this, at night, lights out and headphones. Being a big survivor horror fan that I am I thought "why not". Boy, little did I know I was for the scare of my life.
The game just tells you you have to collect 8 pages and that is it. You can't look at the slender man for too long or you die. Your flashlight has limited battery as so as your stamina, so you can't run all the time.

So simple yet so effective, and the best part of the game for me was the sound and music. They really put you in the mood making you feel so uneasy and more with each step.

There are a bunch of videos on youtube of people's reaction to it  and I have to say I sympathize with them.

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 06:47:29 PM »

THanks! I will check out for sure
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:56:51 PM »

Downloaded it as well, I'll give my impressions in a few days when I get some time to check it out.

Everything's Eventual
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 10:00:23 PM »

Scared the tar out of me.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 02:37:46 AM »

Watched on YouTube

Putting on some Bugs Bunny.... It's safer and nicer to watch.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 04:38:54 AM »

Good atmosphere but I hate when an horror game has to "scream" at me to scare me. Still, not bad.
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 06:18:03 AM »

Good atmosphere but I hate when an horror game has to "scream" at me to scare me. Still, not bad.

Well, it really doesn't scream that much. There's lot of suspense built up by the sound that gets more ominous as you pick more pages, and I think that's what makes the confrontations so hysterical.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 07:59:23 AM »

That's right, the music gets so tense and so into you way before you actually see the slender man or die. Plus it's not really a scream but a scary strong sound no less, but given you're already frightened it doesn't need much to make you jump. I truly could not remember the last time I screamed from a scare in my life and this game made me do it.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 01:36:36 PM »

One of my friends got me to play. I played at night with the lights off and a good pair of headphones. Slenderman scared the crap out of me when I ran into him. I never did get all 8 notes.

"Oh, a hunter..."
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 02:39:22 PM »

Nasty little game that does exactly what it tries to do. Great rec.
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 03:19:42 PM »

Also, there's more maps coming out soon for this. There's already the Sanatorium map which instead of a forest takes place in an abandoned sanatorium sort of a place. Worth checking out!

Also, there's this another experimental horror game called SCP-078 which is about descending a long, long stairway without being able to go back up. It's incredibly atmospheric and in my opinion, as suspenseful as Slender.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 03:21:26 PM »

Watched on YouTube

Putting on some Bugs Bunny.... It's safer and nicer to watch.

You could watch Floe playing it. Maybe seeing someone else get scared shitless would make it funny rather than scary! Or a mix of both really.

I actually have yet to play it, I think watching those then watching the ending was enough for me.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: