Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 02:56:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327154 Posts in 13391 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Phantasy Star 4
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Phantasy Star 4  (Read 6703 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2006, 03:44:03 AM »

i picked this game up at a garage sale this past weekend for 50 cents lol. all i have to say is wow this game is amazing especially considering how old it is.im currently about to go to the sky castle and its already one of my favorite rpg's. its holds up amazingly well considering its age. i kinda want to import the ps1 remake now too =o

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 03:57:11 AM »

What's funny is that's damn close to not being a bargain with the Genesis Collection coming up: In that case though, that'd probably be a 75 cent game or something. :P

Yeah, it's pretty good. I liked II more in some trivial ways, but really IV is by far the best - it actually stood the test of time, unlike any other game in the series before that. Maybe period, depending on how badly PSU outperforms PSO.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 06:03:56 AM »

i think the fact that i played i pso first makes it a little more neat because all the cross references. like the tinkerbells dog quest ,the cake shop ,psycho wand,eclipse torch. theres also a few enemies centaur/choas bringer, chaos sorcerer um the witches look sorta like dark berlas,grass assassins. some aspects of this game appear to have influenced psu as well such as skills plus the way wren and demi get new skills sounds similar to SUV's in a way.it will be interesting to see if the landale in psu looks similar to the ps4 version even though the games supposedly take place in alternate universes..

salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 09:40:13 AM »

yes the game is really good but it could be even better without the "twist" that occur in the middle of the game! beside of that i hate the fact that the
game was too much easy all the way and now all sudden i stuck and not
have clue where to go next (it after the wind castle ) but i try not use faq
it really unbalance
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 01:30:01 PM »

Wow 50 cents!  I remember when I was young and I first saw the game in the stores for $90, I really wanted it but I couldn't justify $90 for a game(even now $90 is way out of my league for a game).  But I eventually got a used copy for $10.  But yeah that was my favorite Phantasy Star game, and I really wish they'd make more.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 04:31:20 PM »

Man, it's a classic. I agree with Eusis - the game has aged well. You can still, to this day, start a new game and not be bored with it. One of my favorite features of the Phantasy Star series was the comic book style cut scenes, similar to the cut scenes in the early Ninja Gaiden games. It told the story especially well.

Code:
When Alys died, it caught me off guard completely. I was not expecting that. I loved her as a character, too. Another thing, Zio was just fucking bad ass - the whole black magician angle.

I never finished the game, but I'm hoping it comes over in one of those compilations or possibly even the Virtual Console.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 04:46:12 PM »

Quote from: "Miho"
I never finished the game, but I'm hoping it comes over in one of those compilations or possibly even the Virtual Console.

I mentioned this several times, even in this thread, but yeah. It's coming again in a compiliation. Also, portable version on the PSP.

Edit: And I can't get over putting the VF guy on the front like he's supposed to be a major character of the 16-bit era, even though he only appeared in one questionable port at the end of the Genesis' lifetime. :P
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 04:51:03 PM »

Awesome, I wasn't aware it was coming over to North America. I wonder which version will be better, for Phantasy Star 4 specifically.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 04:55:46 PM »

Yeah, we're probably just not getting the Phantasy Star /specific/ compiliation. But that's got 3 out of 4 titles, and I'm in no rush to go about playing PS1 on a PS2/PSP anyway.
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 06:22:03 AM »

what a game i know a lot of guys not wil think like me but this game is better than most of the ff imo (beside ff6 9 and 4 ) chaz and rika rulez forever and of course alys ....

what i game i love you saga!!!! make a sequel after 12 years please!!!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 06:31:17 AM »

I could get over defensive, but really I don't like the FF games being considered the end all be all of RPGs either, just the most popular world wide and very very good overall. I'll note though that PSIV more or less ended the story for Algo, so the most you can hope for is a new, turn based PS that's single player. Not likely to happen, but PSU serves as a decent compromise it looks like. If nothing else, it's combat I can see myself enjoying as just an offline experince, unlike PSO which was more like a moderately entertaining diversion.
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 07:03:27 AM »

yea dear brother i know about psu :) but it really dont remind me ps4 at all first where the anime style ? but that is the easy part to forgive for.. you see what they do to the battle system ? i hate that real time action

system ... it didnt fun!! first they do that for our beloved shining force series and now phantasy star .... i dont goona buy sega games ever for that  from now on.

p.s (haha) i think that in general ff is the best series as well or at least the one with the most potential. i didnt like ps1 nor ps2 only pps4
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 07:16:07 AM »

Phantasy Star makes sense though (and it happened first to that anyway). They try an online installment, it's moderately popular, so they make a new one, but try to please the fans of the original series by including a stronger character driven story. I'm not really expecting to be reminded of PSIV, though I would like to see the old style again: This seems to be aiming for a realistic anime look.

Shining Force was just a really really stupid move, though. There were already several action RPG side series, and even has one that's still alive, yet they feel the need to go and use the main games (or at least their name) for yet another line of action RPGs. And the mindset that Strategy RPGs have no place on the PS2 is a mentality I think could be disasterous for the industry if followed en masse: Why bother with genres that supposedly 'don't push' a system's capabilities over evolving the design or just accepting it for what it is? Why not just flood the market with similar 'me too!' game because nothing that isn't filled with action and flash 'pushes a system's capabiities'?

Oh hell, now that I think about it I'd just plain like to have a solid RPG that /isn't/ an action one from SEGA period. We haven't had one since Skies of Arcadia, which is now close to 6 years old.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 08:24:46 PM »

just beat the game. the edge was kinda trippy on my eyes. playing these games made me want to see more of what happened in the earlier games but they are just too archaic. i stopped playing ps3 after i attacked with rhys and all i saw was a cut line on the enemy.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 08:30:55 PM »

If you could so much as /dash/ in PSII, I'd definitely recommand at least looking at it. As is, since there's no ability to dash in it I honestly can't recommand it with full confidence, as that combined with the inevitable grind can be borderline torture.

Edit: Though it may be worth seeing if they decided to incorporate it in the Genesis collection actually. Doubtful, but you never know, and the Sega Saturn collection /did/ have it.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: