Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 08:09:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330118 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Phantasy Star 4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Phantasy Star 4  (Read 6809 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 08:44:58 PM »

i want the ps1 remake :O

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 08:50:43 PM »

Unless they port them in a collection to the PSP and finally get the OK to release them, maybe with other 3D Ages games that didn't come out, you won't be seeing this in english ever. Unfortunately; should've included it in the last collection as the two PS games were the /only/ good remakes it seems.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 05:34:22 AM »

I'm sure these new ports of the PS games are going to be just that.  Essentially the GBA PSC.

But yes, Phantasy Star IV is absolutely great with PSII just narrowly trailing behind it.  PSII would out do PSIV save for a few minor points.  The dash issue that Eus mentioned, incredible difficulty, an overall lack of dialog...  Still, as an avid supporter of the series, PSII gets major points for the ending, the twists, and Nei.

My girlfriend has been playing through the PS2 remake of PSII and if they'd only translate it for non-Japanese speaking plods like myself, all would be forgiven as there is shitloads more dialog, battles look much nicer, characters move faster, and yet it retains /some/ of it's difficulty.

salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 06:58:35 AM »

i really want to see the remake to the ps4 to see alys in a bigger model make me cry... but it seems like sega not goona live up to theirs fucking promise and remake it.  i really like ps4 and all that but i really feel that
Code:
the dying of alys

destory the potential of the game i mean why not to do that really far in the game i wanna to see more of her and to find out her past with rune!

and some of the crew was not more than a warrior in the battle gryz demi wren... and good one such hahn take back seat.... this game was need to be 20 hours longer to be really what it can to be ... but still superb game...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 07:11:20 AM »

It should be noted that Sega and D3 Publisher worked together to form 3D Ages to develop the remakes, but dissolved the deal, and thus the company over a year ago. Since then, I'm pretty sure they just settled with plain ol' ports, since outside of a few cases the originals were flat out superior to the remakes. So, in a sense, they /are/ finally fulfilling their promise with the Phantasy Star Collection coming out soon, just not as originally planned.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 07:13:28 AM »

Code:
Alys died for the same reason Nei died.

To drive the story.

When a protagonist that you have known for X hours in a game dies, it has a profound effect on you.  It's not just "oh hahn died who cares he sucks."  Alys was awesome, Nei was awesome.  Their deaths help the antagonists in the series come alive a bit more.  Because you truly can feel like they are more than just one dimensional villains.

Yeah, it sucks they died, but I believe in their deaths, the stories are that much better.

B'Jyna

saybapon
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 11:53:25 AM »

PSIV is the only PS game I have hated so far. I'm afraid that it was just too boring for me. Then again I played it many years after the Genesis ended...by then I guess my tastes had moved on. Oddly, the characters I liked the most from the game left the party. I did not like Chaz, Rika, Rune OR Kira. I liked Wren, but only because he was in PSIII. I liked Demi and Hahn and especially Gryz. Maybe if I play it again slowly I can appreciate it?

"some girls are bigger than others, and some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers"
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 02:08:25 PM »

i can understand what you said for me the characters was good but don't get enough development i don't mean the most of them are bad becuse they sure not but they have excellent basis and you found yourself wish the game was longer so you can be able to see more of them and the game feel over rushed at time. for example chaz we never seen a

flasback of him of his past we only get clues that not say much things that can bring him more depth. rika why we dont see her problems to live in the world ? even if she is high level of a.i problems? and of course the past of rune and alys together and more important more of alys she the best.

also this game have the prob that the party change too fast and until you get connected to someone he fly away ffiv do it and yet it didn't feel such for me. yet the game is good but it was able to be AAA game if it was longer
B'Jyna

saybapon
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 04:14:17 PM »

^This is exactly why I wish SEGA would do a full remake of the Phantasy Star games. Not simple 2D cartoon remakes, I mean re-make with 3D graphics. I think they would be very successful!

"some girls are bigger than others, and some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers"
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 05:41:25 PM »

Wild Arms: Alter Code F turned my off to remakes. Going back through all the remakes of played, I mean, Minstrel Song is the only one I think I genuinely enjoyed ("Remakes" that are fanports from DOS to Windows don't count).

Code:
I was less affected by Alys' death than I thought I would be. She was cool, but that was mostly it. The smart thing was letting her live for awhile so that the player would assume she was just out of the party for a dungeon until she got better. Anyway, I dunno. Zio didn't impress me much. Gothy black wizard that used to be in Nine Inch Nails. Wow. He wasn't really well developed. Just some pricked being controlled by Dark Force.

I'm really hesitant to replay Phantasy Star 4 because I don't think I'd like it much if I did, and I liked it a lot when I was younger, and I don't want to mess up the memories. I used to consider the PS games some of my favorites games but now not so much :/

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 08:53:12 AM »

yea zio was able to become one of the best "bad guys" in the rpg history ever but the wirter\s choose to kil him before his time and show very little of him and his feelings. and IM can't stop to thinking that he was the inspiration to ff7 team for sepiroth when they devlop it.
PJade

neogeofanatic
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2006, 03:13:12 PM »

Quote from: "Logick"
Wow 50 cents!  I remember when I was young and I first saw the game in the stores for $90, I really wanted it but I couldn't justify $90 for a game(even now $90 is way out of my league for a game).  But I eventually got a used copy for $10.  But yeah that was my favorite Phantasy Star game, and I really wish they'd make more.

Ditto. I remember seeing copies of PS4 at Babbage's for $99.95 back when it first came out as well. Funny thing though, is that I also heard that the sour price wasn't necessarily because of price-hiking, but rather as a profit margin used to make up for the special type of RAM that was used in the cartridges. At least, this is what was said in an old issue of Gamepro magazine.

But then again, I believe the original Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System was affixed with a large pricetag upon its' initial release, brand new copies at Hastings could be seen for $109-$129 on the shelf.

PROTIP: Never trust anyone who has a signature 5X as long as their post.

And that's today's Video Power Edge!
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2006, 07:15:17 PM »

Yeah, games cost soooo much more back then. I remember I bought a copy of freaking Home Alone 2 for the SNES for $70. What the fuck is that shit? -_-

PJade

neogeofanatic
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2006, 07:24:56 PM »

The easy answer(s) to the question of high video game pricetags back in the early to mid 90's?

Cartridge hoarding, and ridiculously-high Nintendo/Sega licensing fees. I think we paid about $80 for my first copy of Super Mario Bros. 3 back in '91 or so, IIRC.

But~ seeing as how far off topic I've gotten, how about PS4, eh?

PROTIP: Never trust anyone who has a signature 5X as long as their post.

And that's today's Video Power Edge!
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2006, 07:42:58 AM »

Quote from: "PJade"
But then again, I believe the original Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System was affixed with a large pricetag upon its' initial release, brand new copies at Hastings could be seen for $109-$129 on the shelf.

I remember getting the PS1 remake of Lunar for 120 Can when it came out.  I honestly think that the price for games (even ones with lots of fun useless extras) are incredibly too high.  I mean, how much money does it take to make a movie like Lord of the Rings?  Like, 80 billion bucks.  And you can buy the DVD new from anywhere for ten bucks.  Whereas, Phantasy Star IV probably cost a lot less than that.  Yet we still need to pay 100 bucks to pick it up back in the day.

Now, as I am typing this, my girlfriend is yelling at me about movies recouping their losses at the cinema.  Well, okay.  I guess that somewhat makes sense.  It's still too bad that my first copy of PSIV cost me the same amount as my blasted Genesis.  ;_;

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: