Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 09:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341145 Posts in 13943 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What if classic RPGs were remade with 'modern standards'?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What if classic RPGs were remade with 'modern standards'?  (Read 3150 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2012, 03:34:10 PM »

Just a fun little joke topic/food for though exercise. Imagine your favorite pre-2000 RPG was remade using some of the same standards and practices the industry uses today? How might it look? Allow me to fire the opening shot...

Final Fantasy VI

Upon receiving the script SE executives decide the total game length is 'too long' for a modern audience and decide to split the short into segments; allowing themselves a greater profit in the process. Final Fantasy VI entails all the story from start to about the point where Kefka destroys the world through magical statue shenanigans. At this point players are treated to 'To Be Continued...' and speculation runs wild about the next part. However during the three-year cycle between games SE decided they need more money from this game. So they release a series of 'stand-alone' DLC called 'Celes: Aftermath'. Each episode plays out with Celes traveling the destroyed world to collect a party member; one member per DLC episode. However the 'plot light' characters like Mog, the yeti, and Shadow are not included in this pack.

Then Final Fantasy VI-2 rolls around. In order to make up for the cut content for their Celes DLC episodes; SE forces the writers to shoe horn in a few hours of pointless dialog, running around for equipment that won't be any better than the hidden gear (or future DLC gear), and shoving in bits of the story to try and make Kefka an 'empathizable villain'. You go through the game, get to the ending, are about to kill Kefka when all of a sudden the game stops you. Kefka reveals he's now the 'pillar of the world' due to magic shenanigans and if you kill him you basically blow up the whole planet. You're given a small list of 'deal with the devil' options and get your ending. Which pisses everyone right the *blank* off.

In the following months SE releases more DLC...for Celes:Aftermath. You have to play through this DLC for the previously missing side characters (who weren't in VI-2) and by doing this they will be available in VI-2 only if you restart the game from scratch. Then, once all but the diehard fans have sold their copies, SE releases even more DLC; Codename: Goddess. In this three-part DLC, stretched out over three months, you get three individual episodes where a 1-2 hour sidequest takes place to find the three Goddess statues (one per episode) and restore them to the tower for a future boss fight. Defeating them individually only gives you a piece of uber gear.

But...once that third DLC is released and beaten; people suddenly find out that defeating all three Goddesses unlocks the 'true ending' where you can kill Kefka and set the world right again by mankind's own power. This re-sparks interest in the game. Suddenly the plot all makes sense. SE knew what they were doing all along. People flood the stores to grab used copies and see this plot in an 'all new light'...only to find there are only about 10 copies on E-bay. SE foresaw this and released only a limited run of VI-2. But don't worry; it's on the digital store. So you can pay them full price twice for the game.

And there you go~. XD How's that for a horrifying 'what if'?
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 05:24:09 PM »

It already happened:

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 05:26:21 PM »

CT Magus would be DLC content.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 07:06:45 PM »

King's Field would be a lot like Dark Souls.

... Ok, that's one modern reinvention that would be worth seeing.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 07:24:36 PM »

I could definitely see LttP getting a but-ton more exposition on the whole 'last of the knights bloodline' business while the Dark World would only consist of two dungeons and Ganon's Tower and nothing else due to needing to be rushed out the door.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »

Final Fantasy would become a cutscene riddled tunnel and the battle system would play itself. Oh..wait...

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 08:22:28 PM »

I could definitely see LttP getting a but-ton more exposition on the whole 'last of the knights bloodline' business while the Dark World would only consist of two dungeons and Ganon's Tower and nothing else due to needing to be rushed out the door.

I think I'd like the Dark World a lot more if it only had two dungeons.

What are modern standards anyone? Is everyone still using that breed of HDR that makes everything look like it's caked in vaseline?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 02:17:29 AM »

Incidentally, the original Phantasy Star series would also be an MMORPG subset, Shining Force would focus more on oogling generically designed females drawn by an H-game artist than on anything resembling gameplay, Breath of Fire would have you hunting Dragons and other large creatures with a friend for the lootz while forcing you to contort your hands unnaturally around the controller due to an awkward and nonadjustable control scheme (also only one game would come out to the US while the rest would be stranded in Japan), Secret of Mana would just be a lifeless dungeon crawler with a really annoying physics gimmick, the Quintet Trilogy would be about moe girls doing moe things while making everything more moe, Dragon Quest would only be made for cell phones, so would the SaGa games but they would be stranded in Japan, the Fire Emblem series however would actually make it outside of Japan, still no luck with the other non series SuperNES era Squaresoft JRPGs though (fortunately we wouldn't be missing much as they are terribly gimmicky games with terrible gimmicks), save for Chrono Trigger which would be played with dual screens and take place entirely within a very Japanese city, Final Fantasy V would be a initially failed MMO but is currently being retooled into a Final Fantasy III clone, Final Fantasy I would get a sequel called Mystic Quest featuring Knight, Master, Ninja, Black Wizard, White Wizard, Red Wizard now older and with their kids sold piecemeal on cellphone devices, Final Fantasy II would get a compilation centered around it with one episode featuring the Dragoon Gareth in a third person shooter with his dragon being his love interest, one episode on a cellphone that nobody cares about, one episode that follows Leon Lionheart's misadventures just days before he and the rest of the main party gets trampled by a bunch of Black Riders, and a movie where after the events of the game everyone (including everybody who died except for Joseph) are now apparently Super Sayin' and must now fight the Emperor's Children who own everybody but Firionel fights them all off and then suddenly the Emperor pops out of a jar and they fight again and blah blah blah, Final Fantasy IV will be a misdirected mess due to executive meddling that adds Palom and Porom and makes Palom the lead instead of Cecil but it gets an international version that restores all the excluded features but is left in Japan, Final Fantasy VI will have a sequel called FFVI-2 which retcons the ending to where Terra suddenly disappears and now it's up to Celes, Mog, and new guy Sandal July to find her while fighting some Marty Stu named Beach Suntan and it ends when they've successfully saved Shadow and Madium from the crumbling ruins of Kefka's Tower but Beach wins anyways so now he doesn't have to watch Sun fade away over and over again and Celes dies and everyone's screwed except for Terra who must now go through FFVI-3 where she must fight her way through the few remaining ruined ruins of the world of ruin in an action based system and she only has 6 days before everything goes to shit, Atlus starts spamming the hell out of the SMT series in addition to an anime series, a fighting game, a rhythm game, manga out the ass, and much much more, Ogre Battle will be balls hard and completely unbalanced around the enemy always having the advantage and requiring you to grind grind grind at the occasional tower and that magic is completely loving bonkers powerful in comparison to all other options, Tactics Ogre will in general be a better game by virtue of being less laidened with complete bullshit difficulty but painfully short, and Temco Secret of the Stars will be a well written and competently made game that does a few new things but is painfully hamstrung by its lack of a budget.

daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 10:13:51 AM »

SEGA remakes "Shining Force III" with modern graphics and full voice-acting.  It gets lots of critical acclaim and hype from all of the RPG websites and sells well in Japan.  SEGA decides not to localize it and instead brings over another Sonic game. 
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »

Final Fantasy would become a cutscene riddled tunnel and the battle system would play itself. Oh..wait...

I actually thought that voice acting would turn the series into some J-drama soap opera, and ruin it.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 11:25:24 AM »

guessing you quit pretty quick if you actually believe that the battle system plays itself. your other 2 comments are valid though.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 02:25:26 PM »

the eye of the beholder series would probably be a fps with rpg elements. keef the thief would be uncharted in a fantasy setting. operation wolf would be the grittier heart of darkness wanna be mw3, wolfenstein 3d would take years to come out and then not live up to the hype, spy hunter would be forza with oil slicks and guns. q-bert would have you cheating on your girlfriend with a girl with a similar name.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 09:15:03 PM »

Megaman Legends would be an attempt to reboot the Megaman series. Capcom would've demoed the game at E3 and it would've been very well regarded. Fans would've been clamoring for it.

And then Capcom would'e cancelled it for no apparent reason.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 10:38:34 PM »

I actually wonder if it'd have been canceled if they just waited a little longer. Seemed like it could've been due to the 3DS's tepid start, but now it seems to really be rolling in Japan and I imagine they would've been more confident to just run with it had they simply waited. Then again they must've known 3DS + Monster Hunter = THE handheld to get.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:45:33 PM by Eusis » Logged
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 11:28:23 PM »

I actually wonder if it'd have been canceled if they just waited a little longer. Seemed like it could've been due to the 3DS's tepid start, but not it seems to really be rolling in Japan and I imagine they would've been more confident to just run with it had they simply waited. Then again they must've known 3DS + Monster Hunter = THE handheld to get.

I'd believe that if the entirety of the franchise's history wasn't fraught with examples of Capcom bullshitting it. As it is though it's just the final nail in a coffin nearly as old as the franchise it now contains is.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: