Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 07:51:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327941 Posts in 13428 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGless at the moment...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: RPGless at the moment...  (Read 3322 times)
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2012, 10:49:45 PM »

So I just finished Kingdom Hearts 3D, and now I'm at a loss of what to play next.

I had about 40 hours into Valkyria Chronicles 2 but it got a little old for me. I've played pretty much EVERY Tales of game....ever. And those are the sort of games I'm drawn to. I've played and beaten every Final Fantasy, Y's Seven(amazing), Arc Rise Fantasia(fun enough), Trails in the Sky(great story), Magna Carta 2(pretty awesome, actually), all the Pokemon games, all the Star Oceans, all the Xenosagas, all the Suikodens, all the Wild Arms, all the Shadow Hearts....and so on. I've gone back to play older games but as you can imagine, I want to play something new. Haha.

So, knowing that I love games with great characters and good enough stories(I'm all over the map in terms of battle system preferences), what else is there? Is there some great game that I'm missing?

I NEED INPUT!!! :)   

pigTails of...
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 11:15:21 PM »

for stuff with great characters and good stories that you didn't mention I'd recommend.....

Growlanser series (Growlanser Wayfarer of Time just came out recently...if you haven't played that get it for sure)

Riviera: The promised land - old but has excellent characters and a fun story

Infinite Space - this game has an awesome story but you fight with ships instead of characters and you can't manually walk around, it's all menus so I'm not sure if you'd like that

Hexyz Force would probably be a good one for you

Radiant Historia is very good as well
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 11:21:33 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:37:31 AM »

If you have a problem; and if you can find them. Then maybe you should play; the Valkyrie Profile Series.

But for something newer you'll probably be interested in Radiant Historia.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:52:25 AM »

Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time (PSP) or Growlanser Generations (PS2)

Radiant Historia (DS)

Witcher 2 (XBox 360/ PC)    The first one is a PC-exclusive, but it's 5+years old so even if your PC is fairly dated it should be able to handle it. 

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 12:04:55 PM »

Radiant Historia (ds)

Have you played any of the Persona/SMT games yet? I would recommend trying Persona 3 (PSP/PS2), Persona 4 (PS2, soon-to-be-on-Vita) and if you can find it, Nocturne or the two games from the Digital Devil Saga (PS2).

As a RPG fan and normally crappy with action games, I really enjoyed Mass Effect for its great story and characters. The battle system is pretty forgiving for the action-game-clumsy too.

Have a Wii? XENOBLADE!
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 01:10:28 PM »

Not everyone will agree but I LOVED Rogue Galaxy

Everything's Eventual
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:44:55 PM »

You didn't really specify what platforms you own, so Ill go ahead and second Xenoblade if you happen to have a Wii. You also didn't mention the Persona games so Ill go ahead and recommend P3 and P4 since your list suggests you own a PSP. I also hear that Skies of Arcadia is very good.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »

Depends on your platform.

Liked Ys? You'll love Ys: Oath of Felghana.

Have a PC? Get Ys Origins.

Have a wii? Get Last Story or Xenoblade. Hell, if you're willing to mod your Wii even Pandora's Tower is a maybe own.

Have an Iphone/IPad? Get Final Fantasy Demensions, the Chaos Rings series, or Vay. (Actually, I think FFD is on Andriod too)

Have a PSP? Get Growlanser, Grandia, Unchained Blades, or Disgaea 3.

ANY Persona game. No really.

For Nintendo DS/3DS, Radiant Historia and the Devil Survivor games.

That's...quite a lot!

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 03:47:58 PM »

You'd probably love Growlanser, Radiant Historia and probably almost anything Dept Heaven.
I thought it was a hit or miss game, but Magna Carta 1 since you like 2.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Vaporeon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 05:14:47 PM »

Dragon Age series

Mass Effect series

Nier

TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 05:51:01 PM »

You'd probably love Growlanser, Radiant Historia and probably almost anything Dept Heaven.
I thought it was a hit or miss game, but Magna Carta 1 since you like 2.

well if story and characters is a really important factor I think only Riviera qualifies.  the other 3 games don't have much character interaction and are heavily battle focused

growlanser and radiant historia are no brainers though
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 05:53:36 PM »

I'm gonna throw a few classics  out there as a reminder because you didn't list them even though judging from the rest you mentioned I imagine you've gotten to them already....

-Breathe of Fire (particularly 3 and 4)
-Earthbound
-Some of the weird "Mana Series" titles (Legend of Mana and Sword of Mana were decent IMO)
-Lunar Silver Star and Eternal Blue

now for a few that aren't classics but are certainly just as delightful
-Odin Sphere
-Dark Cloud 2
-Growlanser (a must)
-Vandal Hearts

Next, I'm going to second byter's suggestion...

-Rogue Galaxy (I only sampled it, but I know when I get to it this will be one I really enjoy)

and now for something entirely different I am probably alone on....

-.hack series (the current object of affection, a gem that passed me by that I almost sold and am currently completely enthralled with)

and lastly some newer gen stuff I really enjoyed....

-Disgaea 4 (3 was good, 4 was freakin' awesome as far as SRPG's are concerned, highly entertaining)

-Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2 (no need to play 1, it was BAD, 2 on the other hand was quite addicting for me.... silly narrative, not epic in any sense... but somehow, all the ridiculous over-the-top-anime-fan-service aside, I really liked it.... WARNING: DO NOT INGULGE THIS UNLESS YOU LOVE/ARE AT LEAST COMPLETELY COMFORTABLE WITH HEAVY ANIME INFLUENCE AND STUPID 4th WALL BREAKING HUMOR)

-Agarest War 2 (unlike 1 and zero, 2 completely rocks.... 1 and zero are not necessary at all to understand the narrative of 2 BTW)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 05:57:04 PM »

Nier

Also, you need to bug PaleRobbie to hurry and finish Nocturne so he can start playing the Shadow Hearts games, so they can do a SH podcast.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 10:46:09 PM »

These are some FANTASTIC suggestions!! Thank you so much everyone! I should probably clarify some other games I've played but forgot to mention the first time. I have a terrible memory so you all have reminded me of a bunch of other games I've played. :)

All the Breath of Fires (all good except for the last one)

Earthbound and Mother 3

Both Lunars(they need to stop remaking the first and remake the second one already!)

Odin Sphere

Both Dark Clouds

Vandal Hearts

Rouge Galaxy(to this day, still one of my favorites)

Radiant Historia

Xenoblade Chronicles(actually didn't care for it. )

All the Personas(3 and 4 were SO good. I'm currently playing through P4 Arena)

All the Valkyrie Profiles

Riveria

Legend of Dragoon.

I'm certain there is more, but again, terrible memory. The one's that are jumping out at me of the one's you all have mentioned are Growlanser and Skies of Arcadia. But since Skies of Arcadia is 130$ on Amazon, I think Growlanser is the winner for now. But I'm still open for more suggestions! Hit me! :)

pigTails of...
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 11:15:34 PM »

hmmm Grandia 2 is very good (I think best of the series) but I always hear bad stuff about the PS2 version.  I'm not sure if the issues (i can't remember what they are) are all that bad but I played it on Dreamcast and it was great

Skies of Arcadia is godlike though...
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: