Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 03:53:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319726 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Guilty Pleasure Movies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Guilty Pleasure Movies  (Read 3649 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:37:44 PM »

We *all* must have them.  So come out with it, what's the movie/s that you love to love in private (or at least with a really small circle of buds)???

I'm starting mine off easily with "You've Got Mail". I find the story perfectly charming (that and something about Hanks owning a book chain sounds like an awesome career path thing).
Just about any cartoon feature also fits itself in here too; I still watch and follow Disney flicks.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:15:49 PM »

Vertical Limit is at the top of my list, no one I know likes this but me, I'm sure I'll think of a few others later

Everything's Eventual
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 10:48:17 PM »

For me it's definitely The Big Hit starring Mark Wahlberg, Lou Diamond Philips, and China Chow.  It's so awful that it's awesome.  Me and three friends all saw it the weekend before we started high school (after elementary and middle school together, the four of us were being split between three different places) and oh man was it good/bad.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 11:01:40 PM »

The Pokemon movies. I still watch them every once in a while and still kind of enjoy them.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 07:23:10 AM »

Clueless and Bedazzled. I've seen them more times than I care to remember.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 08:01:45 AM »

I actually like the plot of Sphere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphere_%28film%29
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 09:37:13 AM »

Scary Movie2. I generally loathe these types of movies but I
got a thing for Anna Faris:/

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »

Hmmm. I really don't do the "guilty" thing. If I like it, I like it. I'd say the closest thing to a guilty pleasure would be all the bad horror movies my wife and I watch. It's all in fun, though. We KNOW they're bad.
I still have a soft spot for 80's fantasy movies like The Dark Crystal, Legend, Labyrinth, Willow, The Never Ending Story, etc. That's pretty much pure nostalgia, and I am not guilty in the least.
Heck, I still unreservedly love the Transformers Movie. It's a heck of a lot better than anything Bay has put out.
I can't think of any more recent movie that would count. Maybe Priest? It was pretty crappy, but I still kinda liked it. Or the goofy ass Crank movie with Jason Statham. Totally nuts.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 11:36:17 AM »

The first Tomb Raider movie.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 11:44:31 AM »

steel magnolias
freddy got fingered

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 12:36:16 PM »

"Daddy would you like somme sausage???"

Speaking of dumb,
The Jackass movies.
Love 'em.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:15:52 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 01:00:56 PM »

The Never Ending Story

Epic! Cheesy German synth-keys soundtrack? Check. Cheesy set designs? Check. Cheesy dialog? Check. Cheesy old-school special effects? Check. I watched this movie heavily when I was kid. Falcor!!!!!!!!!!! Atreyu!!!!!! Lol...  So many good memories watching this.

My guilty pleasure was "13th warrior" with Antonio Banderas. Not his biggest film, but I enjoyed the Norse myth themes and the character development of the 13 warriors. If there was a movie that reminded of RPG elements made to film it would be this one. Recruiting 13 bad asses to take on the evil "fire serpent"? Awesome.

Another strong follow-up to that one would be "Dune." David Lynch loathes this film and painfully regrets making the film, but to me it was an epic sci-fi film that relied heavily on the canon written by Frank Herbert. Highly recommended if anyone has not seen it. I went on to read all the Dune books after this.

Playing: FFXIII-2 (PS3) and Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS).
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 06:10:47 PM »

My number one guilty pleasure flick is Empire Records.... gee golly I loved the 90's....

Clueless and Bedazzled. I've seen them more times than I care to remember.

I loved clueless too-LoL

Hmmm. I really don't do the "guilty" thing. If I like it, I like it. I'd say the closest thing to a guilty pleasure would be all the bad horror movies my wife and I watch. It's all in fun, though. We KNOW they're bad.
I still have a soft spot for 80's fantasy movies like The Dark Crystal, Legend, Labyrinth, Willow, The Never Ending Story, etc. That's pretty much pure nostalgia, and I am not guilty in the least.
Heck, I still unreservedly love the Transformers Movie. It's a heck of a lot better than anything Bay has put out.
I can't think of any more recent movie that would count. Maybe Priest? It was pretty crappy, but I still kinda liked it. Or the goofy ass Crank movie with Jason Statham. Totally nuts.

You are absolutely right about there not being any reason to feel guilty about appreciating under-budget horror or 80's fantasy..... In fact, those two sub-genres encompass the most entertaining american film I've ever bore witness to....

I had the pleasure of doing a Sir Dydymus illustration recently for a client and am now in the process of tattooing it on her (1 session in, 2 more to go)

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »

I agree. Watched it 2 or 3 years ago, before Hollywood Video went out of business, and it was surprisingly good.

@Fadedsun - I liked Clueless more than I care to admit, too...

Actually, I have a lot of Guilty Pleasure TV shows (Dragonauts, Sailor Moon, Totally Spies, That's So Raven, etc.), but very few movies I can think of.

Oh yeah, I really enjoyed the Holloween movies they used to show on Disney channel. I forget what they were called. Something about witches. They weren't very good, but I had a lot of fun with them.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 11:46:02 AM »

80s fantasy is cool.  NeverEnding Story, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal... I love 'em, watch 'em, and feel no guilt. 

Most recently, the drummer in this band I've been jamming with (I'm training to be their understudy bassist) had us watch The Rocker.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1031969/  The movie isn't exactly "good."  It's sillystupid, predictable, and often depends on cheap laughs.  This Is Spinal Tap, Blues Brothers, and School of Rock are fantastic.  The Rocker was stupid.  But I liked it and would watch it again if it's on TV.   

I approve of this nonsense!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: