Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 07:22:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319236 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 56 Print
Author Topic: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days  (Read 44247 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: May 05, 2013, 04:22:23 PM »

The Coliseum is back in Lightning Returns

Paradox Endings may influence the story of Lightning Returns

Source: Nova Crystallis
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: May 05, 2013, 10:11:12 PM »

Nah. There's no chance in hell that Squeenix would be cool enough to make Snow and Serah-chan's excellent adventure paradox ending feature as anything more than a doofy/useless key item/collectable essential to 100% completion and nothing else.

Also, yay, more puzzle fights that you have to meta powergame/guide dammit to have a chance at solving within 2 minutes/tries then slogging through for the next 2 hours to get the sword of infinity +1 needed for 100% completion and nothing else.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2013, 03:54:54 AM »

Member of the Japanese Band 'Language' doing music for Lightning Returns -- Nova Crystallis

First official images of Lightning Returns Play Arts Kai -- Nova Crystallis

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Original Soundtrack -- SQUARE ENIX MUSIC

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - E3 2013 Trailer -- NovaCrystallisDotCom, YouTube

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - The creation of 'The Savior' -- UKSquareEnix, YouTube

Final Fantasy XIII -Lightning Ultimate Box- -- SQUARE ENIX e-Store

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII controller -- HORI

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:55:50 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: June 06, 2013, 11:55:55 AM »

^There. Edited my previous post with the news that came out recently.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: June 06, 2013, 12:19:18 PM »

Okay the box art for that Ultimate Box's original FFXIII looks pretty rad.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: June 06, 2013, 06:26:36 PM »

How the fuck does someone make an Ultimate Box without putting her stupid ass sunglasses in them>!?!?!?!??

Am I the only one who think the Play Arts figures are kinda weird and odd looking?

Ah well.  Trailer looked ok, not much gameplay, and the story seems to hit a new pinnacle of nonsense.  If I have money, maybe I'll buy (if reviews are good)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: June 06, 2013, 08:36:24 PM »

Am I the only one who think the Play Arts figures are kinda weird and odd looking?

Sometimes yeah.

Trailer looked ok, not much gameplay, and the story seems to hit a new pinnacle of nonsense.

I don't know. Star Ocean and (part of) FFVIII are way worse in my mind.

But you know, opinions.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: June 06, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »

Sometimes yeah.

Trailer looked ok, not much gameplay, and the story seems to hit a new pinnacle of nonsense.

I don't know. Star Ocean and (part of) FFVIII are way worse in my mind.

But you know, opinions.

FFVIII turned into a "trip" after the first disc, IMO.  I couldn't tell you the plot if my life depended on it today.  (*bang*)

Star Ocean may be ridiculous, but I can't let go of 13-2 having Serah yell at Hope from the future to fix the problem.

And in any case, I play most of these games for the gameplay than the plot (and if reviews can score it well there, then consider it sold).

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: June 06, 2013, 09:20:53 PM »

Star Ocean may be ridiculous, but I can't let go of 13-2 having Serah yell at Hope from the future to fix the problem.

And I can't let go of the dumb ass plot twist in SO3.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: June 06, 2013, 09:32:37 PM »

Snow actually looks pretty cool now, the combat system doesn't look too bad, I may bite on the collector's edition.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: June 06, 2013, 10:56:39 PM »

I am one of those weirdo's that really liked the XIII so I'll get this eventually once it drops in price. If reviews are really good I might get it, but I'm a little wary since the weirdness and music of XIII-2 was good, but the rest of it was meh. Can't wait to see more gameplay though, I like the look of it so far.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: June 06, 2013, 11:07:24 PM »

I keep telling people that the criticism that the XIII series has recieved is overblown, but then they are all like:

So I don't even care anymore. *shrug*
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: June 06, 2013, 11:19:24 PM »

Well it is overblown at this point certainly. It seems like it will forever be the legacy of XIII and it is an easy way to poke fun at the game and myself. Remember FFVIII is remembered for not being VII, drawing out magic and having the worst plot-twist of all time.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: June 06, 2013, 11:19:49 PM »

I loved FFXIII apart from the incredibly tedious endgame. XIII-2 managed to improve on the gameplay, but didn't even bother trying to make a coherent cross-series plot. Sure, the plot on it's own was....decent, but I could never get past the LAAAAAAAAAAME excuse to how the ending to XIII "didn't happen." That and the lore established in XIII has fuck-all to do with the plot in XIII-2.

Oh well, I'll pick up Lightning Returns b/c I'm a total sucker, and I most definitely will buy the inevitable LE Strategy Guide because I have the other two and I have some strange love of hard cover strategy guides.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: June 06, 2013, 11:31:36 PM »

I loved FFXIII apart from the incredibly tedious endgame. XIII-2 managed to improve on the gameplay, but didn't even bother trying to make a coherent cross-series plot. Sure, the plot on it's own was....decent, but I could never get past the LAAAAAAAAAAME excuse to how the ending to XIII "didn't happen." That and the lore established in XIII has fuck-all to do with the plot in XIII-2.

Oh well, I'll pick up Lightning Returns b/c I'm a total sucker, and I most definitely will buy the inevitable LE Strategy Guide because I have the other two and I have some strange love of hard cover strategy guides.

I think that summed it up really, really well.
Also snowballing in the campy drama (made worse especially in 13-2...and mainly just with FF Sweethearts Snow and Serah...and a bit of Gaius).

I do mark the gameplay as being pretty good and *definitely* different.... I just don't know if high-speed auto-battles is a good route in the future since it takes away a lot of the control from the player in terms of options.

Yes, a lot of the criticisms are strong, but it could also be just a lot of exposure to "less-than-warm" reactions rather than outright hate.

Plots are a...considerably important thing in FF games, so the lack of consistency in the games really shuts out whatever "vision" they had with the first game.  We've gone from Machine-Gods[?], to Time Travel, to....FF-Majora's Mask.

FF13 I think *IS* a pretty good game (I actually loved the hell out of the battle system, it's simple, but damn addictive), but...it just felt so empty.  More than just corridors, I just felt like there was reaallly little to actually play.  It had no chocobo games, mini-games, proper sidequests (beyond weird epitaph...things), and what was probably the most obnoxious weapon upgrade system ever (so say shit about Star Ocean all you want, but tri-Ace knows what they're doing there).

It's a contentious title to be sure.  Yeah some love the hell out of it, but I think it's just one of those games that sorta lives in infamy due to the series reputation, the divergent route it took compared to previous games, and (while revolutionizing some ideas) also had some questionable design decisions.

tl;dr
Making a good, balanced game is hard as fuck.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: