Author Topic: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days
« Reply #555 on: December 09, 2013, 03:09:44 PM »
I dunno, I'm enjoying FF13.... but does that story deserve 3 fucking games or is square just trying to break even on all the development they did on that universe and engine... ?

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is kinda like Radiant Historia but without all the things that made Radiant Historia good. On the other hand, you can put a hat on a cat...

You have to use a reference he'd know
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

unsmashable_pumpkin

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 09, 2013, 03:10:20 PM »
I want lightning returns to die in a fire. XIII was a terrible game, XIII-2 had some decent gameplay but was overall a shitty game, and I'm tired of SE thinking that we want more of this style and world. I genuinely am not excited for this at all, and will do everything I can to give SE no money to support this crappy title.

A bit hyperbolic, perhaps? :P
You even admitted that ffxiii-2 had decent gameplay, so if Lightning returns follows along those lines it's not like it will be that much of a crime against humanity for the game to exist. But I can see how it's frustrating when they are pouring so much resources into these games, which perhaps could be spent on better (all the bravest sequel or maybe that ffvii iOS remake everyone has been clamoring for) ;)
Considering the sales in Japan, I don't think you need to worry about any further installments though.

But, yeah, nothing is forcing you spend money on something you don't want.
The resentment that the trilogy recieves seems a bit unbalanced, though. Probably due to how the final fantasy brand is considered synonymous with and representitive of the jrpg genre as a whole to some people. As a consequence when the series hit a few snags that is taken to mean the DEATH of the genre as a whole.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 09, 2013, 03:18:17 PM »
You guys gonna get the strategy guide? 

I got the LE strategy guides for XIII and XIII-2, so I'm most certainly going to get it for Lightning Returns. Though I'm kind of bummed they didn't just name it Final Fantasy XIII-3, because now the guides aren't going to look quite as nice lined up.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 09, 2013, 04:26:17 PM »
Well after pouring over all the literature I could get my grubby mits on, watching an 8 hour youtube movie and reviewing multiple more condensed synopsis I feel pretty freakin' "caught up" on all that I missed or had blocked out from my recollection of XIII. I feel comfy moving on to XIII-2.

Why I put such effort into getting back into a franchise that turned me off so bad in the first place is beyond me. Call it a combo of curiosity and lightning appeal I suppose.

What I will say is this. When I am wrong I am wrong, and I have been a XIII nay-sayer since I played through it. But I am changing my stance. I actually feel pretty engaged by the narrative after having viewing/reviewed it in the manner I have. The story contains so much I just didn't get before... mainly because I feel a lot of thematic and meaning goes unsaid or at the very least is open for interpretation. Regardless I can honestly say I am, at the very least, intrigued.

So ultimately I think the problem with XIII (for me personally) boils down to execution and delivery. In other words, it is not so much the content that turned me off (as I initially thought) but more of how it is experienced. So much of what has the potential to be a pretty brilliant and original setting and plot is left to be interpreted as opposed to played.

One thing is for certain. FF13, IMO, is not for the lazy-gamer. And while I don't believe you should really need to "work" to enjoy your games, that is certainly the case here. And it is one instance where I feel as though the effort is worth it.

To summarize my babble... I think I may be a XIII convert at this point. I may actually really like this. If nothing else, I certainly have a greater appreciation for it.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 09, 2013, 05:31:43 PM »
Don't want it, don't buy it.

Same goes for the costumes. The game is going to have like 80 of them. Pretty sure the crappy, fanservicey ones are completely ignorable. From all I've seen, the good ones, the ones that actually *suit* Lightning imo far outnumber the silly ones. I don't care for 'catpeople', so I just don't play one in XIV and I'm sure not going to make Lightning dress up like one either.

Story wise, I don't expect much. I have yet to beat XIII-2, and I'm not going to play XIII, I'll be honest. I don't know if the XIII recap/synopsis they give you in 2 is going to be enough or if I'll need to do more homework...

I should go watch that recap while PSN is down.

Still, when it comes to LR, I basically expect what X-2 ended up like: Silly to meh story, fun to play. I'm okay with that.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 10, 2013, 01:13:34 AM »
Don't want it, don't buy it.

Same goes for the costumes. The game is going to have like 80 of them. Pretty sure the crappy, fanservicey ones are completely ignorable. From all I've seen, the good ones, the ones that actually *suit* Lightning imo far outnumber the silly ones. I don't care for 'catpeople', so I just don't play one in XIV and I'm sure not going to make Lightning dress up like one either.

Story wise, I don't expect much. I have yet to beat XIII-2, and I'm not going to play XIII, I'll be honest. I don't know if the XIII recap/synopsis they give you in 2 is going to be enough or if I'll need to do more homework...

I should go watch that recap while PSN is down.

Still, when it comes to LR, I basically expect what X-2 ended up like: Silly to meh story, fun to play. I'm okay with that.

And that's been my big concern of the game as well. How does it play?

XIII-1 was, in my eyes, a tech demo that had gotten the basics down but you can definitely tell just how completely engineered the gameplay experience was and how the game only really offered exactly one and only one way to play it.

Meanwhile, XIII-2 finally put the 'play' in the gameplay but what it offered wasn't really all that different from what games like Dragon Quest V or VI, among others, offered back on the Super Famicom/SuperNES. So my question became whether this game had anything else going for it that makes it worth playing over just picking up and playing through one or more of those games again? My answer, of course, was a resounding "Hell No!".

So that brings me to XIII-3 and whether it finally did something worth sinking 60-80 gameplay hours of my time into, and so far from the prerelease information we've gotten BarbieLightning Dolls to play dress up with, and four whole regions to do it in, with Majora Mask style sidequests galore (with the sidequests turning out to be WoW style instead).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 10, 2013, 03:42:58 AM »
I dunno, I'm enjoying FF13.... but does that story deserve 3 fucking games or is square just trying to break even on all the development they did on that universe and engine... ?

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is kinda like Radiant Historia but without all the things that made Radiant Historia good. On the other hand, you can put a hat on a cat...

You have to use a reference he'd know

But, but Radiant Historia is like the Chrono Trigger of the last generation... D:

Anyway, not having played Radiant Historia might be a good thing for anyone planning to go through XIII-2. At least then you won't be like 'Radiant Historia did it better...' all the time. I bet that will make it easier to enjoy the time travelling and putting hats on cats.

Rockko

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 10, 2013, 06:44:56 PM »
One should never underestimate the power of putting hats on cats...

Rockko

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 10, 2013, 11:14:04 PM »
Also, I must say that I'm a bit disappointed with the rather mediocre reviews of the titular game...

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 11, 2013, 12:23:14 PM »
NA Collector's Edition announced. Comes with
- Collector's Box
- 80-Page Hardcover Artbook
- "Silver Embossed" pocketwatch
- Aerith DLC costume

Not sure on the retail priceListed at $89.99, apparently it's only available on the Square Enix store, confirmed it's not on Amazon at the moment, I'm hoping it shows up though.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 12:29:34 PM by Klutz64 »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #565 on: December 11, 2013, 12:55:04 PM »
I'm starting to get really cheesed with Squares idea of an artbook.  I have when one freaking CG sword occupies a whole page.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 11, 2013, 02:41:56 PM »
I wish the watch was a wallet... I need a new wallet...

I am typically a sucker for these things but for nearly 100 bucks I AT LEAST want a figurine. They should of dropped the watch and included the sexy new XIII-3 Lighting Kai Play-arts-whatever figure. That would have been far more tempting.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 11, 2013, 03:03:50 PM »
I think the watch is pretty cool, provided it doesn't break right away.

It could be semi-useful I guess.

Logick

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 11, 2013, 03:28:25 PM »
OK question,
I hated ff13's story and gameplay never finshed, ff13-2's changes didn't interest me enough to try, this one seems different.
Would I understand it if I haven't played the first two?  Are the changes worth looking into?
"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 11, 2013, 03:34:34 PM »
I think the watch is pretty cool, provided it doesn't break right away.

It could be semi-useful I guess.

That would be my fear with the watch if I were interested. See it turn out to be a 7 dollar ebay cosplay-quality accessory watch coupled with a "color instruction booklet" quality art book.

But in truth I'm being a negative nancy  about it in jest, I have a personal issue with watches and all manner of time-tracking devices. In all honesty I do think that if Square is attaching a 90 buck tag the contents will be quality items.

OK question,
I hated ff13's story and gameplay never finshed, ff13-2's changes didn't interest me enough to try, this one seems different.
Would I understand it if I haven't played the first two?  Are the changes worth looking into?

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago, though I did manage to force my way through all of XIII-1.

I have actually totally changed my stance on whole plot/story of XIII-1 after reviewing some synopsis and re-watching all the XIII FMV compiled as a movie. Truth be told, I missed out on a GREAT deal  somehow.... I think I was just too turned off at the time due to my own unreasonable expectations of the title.

I am actually pumped to get to XIII-2 now (once I finish a Suikoden 2 playthrough) and am totally on board for XIII-3.

Whether or not becoming invested in the franchise is worth it to you is a subjective matter though. If you are curious, there is more then enough youtube material for you to review before making an informed decision on the matter. I say start there. Thats what I did and now I'm a convert!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:44:16 PM by Klyde Chroma »