Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 06:14:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338004 Posts in 13838 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 56 Print
Author Topic: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days  (Read 68228 times)
Rockko

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #570 on: December 11, 2013, 06:03:11 PM »

Would I understand it if I haven't played the first two? 

Hell, I'm not so sure you'd understand it even if you HAD played the other two...

That being said, looking back I actually enjoyed XIII and XIII-2. But you do have to work for it. Read all of the datalog entries, etc... You should be fine after watching a YouTube synopsis in my opinion.

I just finished up XIII-2 and Noel sums my feelings up fairly well in one scene:

Serah: "blah blah time travel, blah blah paradox, blah blah ruins artifacts Moogles Lightning Hope... Do you understand Noel?"

Noel: "Damned if I know."

Indeed sir...
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #571 on: December 11, 2013, 06:04:23 PM »

Hell, I'm not so sure you'd understand it even if you HAD played the other two...

That being said, looking back I actually enjoyed XIII and XIII-2. But you do have to work for it. Read all of the datalog entries, etc... You should be fine after watching a YouTube synopsis in my opinion.

I just finished up XIII-2 and Noel sums my feelings up fairly well in one scene:

Serah: "blah blah time travel, blah blah paradox, blah blah ruins artifacts Moogles Lightning Hope... Do you understand Noel?"

Noel: "Damned if I know."

Indeed sir...

That's...actually perfect. xD

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #572 on: December 11, 2013, 06:14:44 PM »

Yea!! This is exactly what I was saying summed up in a far more concise manner. Why the hell am I always so longwinded....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Rockko

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #573 on: December 11, 2013, 06:30:44 PM »

Yea!! This is exactly what I was saying summed up in a far more concise manner. Why the hell am I always so longwinded....

Perhaps you should apply to write datalog entries for Square-Enix...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:26:11 PM by Rockko » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #574 on: December 12, 2013, 03:10:09 AM »

Man Yggdra, why you do this? There's no reason to feel bullied or threatened with Bannination, and your posting habits haven't been that bad up till now (even if you have occasionally disregarded forums posting etiquette in the past). And yeah, I can be an ass and rather salty at times, but I've gotten much better about it, you don't have to go. q_q

I'm just making one more post to leave this clear: I leave because I got bored of the discussions on this forum for a variety of reasons I rather not go into, that and the fact I don't mix well with this community.

All that said I have to give a big thanks to the people in charge of the site because you were the ones that made me interested in this genre back in the day by making me see what's so interesting and fun about it. Not to mention that I always enjoyed the reviews for soundtracks that over time made me got into appreciate VGM better, so thanks for that.

---

Now to make this post a bit more worthy I'll quote some stuff for the hell of it.

Making fans 'salty' since 2009.

1999 to be correct. The whole negativity 'choo choo' train with XIII actually started between 2007 and '08, nowadays that same negativity continues among what is said to be a "minority" of the fanbase. You know, haters gonna hate and all that fun stuff.

Honestly, I'm loving/hating how excited I am for FFX HD... because I know I liked it.  I'm in favor of Squeenix just doing HD remakes of beloved titles because their new stuff is...meh.

FF15 looks alright so far... but I'm not anticipating a release for at least a couple of years.

Personally to me FFX was (is?) a decent experience narratively speaking and it's battle system is certainly one of the better aspect of that game. However, in retrospective X (as a game) has *a lot* bullshit I couldn't stand even as a kid. X-2 on the other hand is alright even if Squaresoft expected players to do tedious stuff to get the 100% to see the true ending.

About XV; That's probably gonna be released by the end of next year or 2015. Probably.

I'm looking forward to it with *a lot* of skepticism because is an FF directed by the guy who is in charge of Kingdom Hearts and some of the staff known so far leaves me with a "I don't know about this" sort of feeling about the whole thing. However XV does looks very interesting and even ambitious. I really like how Hajime Tabata is the co-director though, that dude being on the project is (as far as I know) a very good thing.

I don't know, to me Yggdra sounds more like those people who feel that others' negative opinions on things they have at heart are attacks on their 'self'.

You can think whatever you prefer about me. I really don't care at this point to be honest.

I don't think anyone in this thread harbors malicious intents towards FFXIII:LR to the point where we wish it to be a flop.
That said, I can see why many of us look at it and think «Really Square? Another FFXIII and this time you make a dress-up your doll game ?»
While some elements in the game may be great, the added pandering is somewhat disgusting.

Disgusting is seeing how the emotional attachment for the franchise became a reason to be an asshole to people who honestly enjoys the games as I've seen on other sites.

Given how dense the narrative can get at times no, I don't think so. But if you didn't cared/enjoyed the narrative in the first place with XIII for whatever reason then there's really no reason to ask this with LR.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #575 on: December 12, 2013, 04:06:16 AM »

Ugh, man, I hate SE's site.  I ordered Drakengard 3 from there because it was the only chance for a physical copy, but why does their store have no account option?  Then I tried to look at my orders through my Email and my password, but it only shows one (LR). You need to put in the exact order number, because only the most recent purchase shows up if you go by EMail.

It's ridiculous and outdated.
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #576 on: December 12, 2013, 05:50:01 PM »

Ugh, man, I hate SE's site.  I ordered Drakengard 3 from there because it was the only chance for a physical copy, but why does their store have no account option?  Then I tried to look at my orders through my Email and my password, but it only shows one (LR). You need to put in the exact order number, because only the most recent purchase shows up if you go by EMail.

It's ridiculous and outdated.

The worst shipping experience I ever had was the result of ordering through SE's site/store. Almost 700 dollars worth of merchandise got stuck in customs and then lost altogeather.... took over five months to finally get delivered. The kicker? The packages ended up in a college apartment complex which was closed and locked up for the summer. I actually had to contact the owner of the complex to come and punch in a security code for me to get my packages.

Triscal-Goddess / PSN

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #577 on: December 12, 2013, 06:12:09 PM »

That sounds like a fucking disaster.

Also.... 700 bux? What the hell did you get?
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 12, 2013, 06:22:10 PM »

I ordered Raiden and Shepard figures at separate times off SE's site. Each got to Canada in 3 weeks which is... okay for $11 shipping of giant boxes, all things considered. No duty fees. I'm iffy about preordering a game from there after the Ni no Kuni disaster though. I'll probably just stick to a digital copy of Drakengard 3, I'm not interested in the Lightning Returns LE and hopefully by the time I have a new computer I can just grab FFXIV on Steam.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #579 on: December 12, 2013, 07:39:47 PM »

700 bux? What the hell did you get?
My guess is one of Hironobu Sakaguchi's hairs.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #580 on: December 12, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »

700 bux? What the hell did you get?
My guess is one of Hironobu Sakaguchi's hairs.

Got Nomura's for only $1000.  Came sealed in a multi-zippered satchel.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #581 on: December 13, 2013, 03:43:31 PM »

That sounds like a fucking disaster.

Also.... 700 bux? What the hell did you get?

Static Arts LE statues of Sephiroth and Cloud. For the first few years after I sobered up and started tattooing full time I was just stupid when it came to spending and money. At that point anything I saw I wanted I just bought, justified with the mentality of "well its better than chemicals".

Then I got a house and bills and whatnot... greater responsibility with cash became a necessity at that point and while I have gotten better with it over the years I still "slip up" with gaming merchandise. I find easier to go without food than collectors edition copies of games... As soon as I eat I am satiated... but I am still pissed I missed out on the Hyperdimension MK2 Nisa exclusive CE.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:45:14 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Triscal-Goddess / PSN

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #582 on: December 29, 2013, 06:26:42 PM »

LIGHTNING RETURNS FINAL FANTASY XIII ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK / SQUARE ENIX

"LR: FFXIII OST PLUS releasing in 2014."

---

Cosmogenesis
Divine Love
Almighty Bhunivelze
Last Resort
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #583 on: December 29, 2013, 06:52:01 PM »

Cosmogenesis is weird. It seems to totally change its tone at the 2:50 mark. Last Resort sounds like one of those pieces that it is better to hear it in context. Not going to judge ieither until I hear it ingame though.

I liked both Divine Love and Almighty Bhunivelze. Actually, I like most of the battle themes from the FFXIII games.

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #584 on: January 03, 2014, 01:06:36 PM »

For the love of god guys I tried... I read, reviewed and watched everything I could... I filled my brain with enough FFXIII info to write an incoherent sci-fi novel with religious overtones.

Try as I might though, moving onto XIII-2 for the last 4 nights of gaming in a row has left me feeling just as uninspired and uninterested as XIII did.

Funny thing is, I actually can't tell you what I don't like. In every measurable sense I truly believe these are good games. I'm just certain at this point that they are not for me.

It disheartens me because I WANT to like them so bad (particularly because I am fan of lightning), but I just can't. I'm good at forcing myself through titles and even enjoying them in spite of the fact that they may be sub-par in some senses. Rarely do I drop games however the XIII-trilogy is officially dropped for me.

I post this for two reasons.

A) to apologize and beg forgiveness from the gaming gods for not completing my focus and....

B) To ask you guys out of curiousity what you feel is the common thread between the XIII trilogy and X that leaves me with no desire for this type of final fantasy. I ask this because I've already reviewed the creative team behind them and it seems everyone responsible for the games worked on other titles I love and I just can't put my finger on the root of what I don't like about them..... then again maybe its as simple as I just don't like Sci-Fi anything with the exception of Evangelion, the Xeno games, X-Com and serial experiments lain.

EDIT: Disregard the whole part about dropping the game. Everything else, including my inquirey as to the common thread between X and XIII stands. But being the basket case I am, after stewing about it again, I am yet undecided as to whether or not I could leave this alone just yet...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:34:25 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Triscal-Goddess / PSN

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: