Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 06:46:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318973 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 56 Print
Author Topic: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days  (Read 43683 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: January 03, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

(That's actually a horrible cliche that normally I dislike, but it seemed appropriate here...)

Seriously, Klyde, if you don't like the game then just don't play it.  Games are supposed to be fun.  Recreation.  Why do you do this to yourself?

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: January 04, 2014, 07:26:54 AM »

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

(That's actually a horrible cliche that normally I dislike, but it seemed appropriate here...)

Seriously, Klyde, if you don't like the game then just don't play it.  Games are supposed to be fun.  Recreation.  Why do you do this to yourself?
As someone who recently forced his way through Last Rebellion because of the fact that it had been on his backlog for years, I think I can answer that. Some people simply have a compulsion to complete things, and once you have started something you cannot leave it unfinished. It is like a nagging feeling. If you ignore it, eventually it will weaken, but it never truly goes away! It is simply the way we are wired.
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: January 04, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »

As someone who recently forced his way through Last Rebellion because of the fact that it had been on his backlog for years, I think I can answer that. Some people simply have a compulsion to complete things, and once you have started something you cannot leave it unfinished. It is like a nagging feeling. If you ignore it, eventually it will weaken, but it never truly goes away! It is simply the way we are wired.

I could not have answered the question better myself. Thank you Ranadiel.

A few years ago I ended up in the hospital with horrible health issues. The few games I was playing at the time I dropped. Every time I turned em on after that I felt reminded of that hellish event. To this day those few irk me and that was years ago.... The "unfinished nagging" does not ever truly go away.

Funny you brought that up though.... I actually finished XIII-1 around that time. My discomfort with XIII-2 may actually be entirely a result of that. All the more reason to get through it and lay to rest a major personal hang up whilst reclaiming "comfort" from Final Fantasy.

Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 05, 2014, 03:47:52 AM »

For the love of god guys I tried... I read, reviewed and watched everything I could... I filled my brain with enough FFXIII info to write an incoherent sci-fi novel with religious overtones.

This is an effort best saved for Paradox games honestly. For the FFXIII games just look up game recaps and whatever information is directly relevant to your interests, because it's generally better to just go with the flow and not try to take the games that seriously. This could go for a LOT of works really, but for total story information that's better spent on something like Mass Effect, and for gameplay immersion borderline necessary for Paradox strategy games.
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #589 on: January 05, 2014, 05:38:37 PM »

For the love of god guys I tried... I read, reviewed and watched everything I could... I filled my brain with enough FFXIII info to write an incoherent sci-fi novel with religious overtones.

This is an effort best saved for Paradox games honestly. For the FFXIII games just look up game recaps and whatever information is directly relevant to your interests, because it's generally better to just go with the flow and not try to take the games that seriously. This could go for a LOT of works really, but for total story information that's better spent on something like Mass Effect, and for gameplay immersion borderline necessary for Paradox strategy games.

Well  my overindulgence did have one benefit, it took a narrative I "didn't get" and turned it into something very intriguing to me. In all honesty I haven't been this consumed with a narrative in a long time.

I'm gonna be the odd man out (in most cases) and say that I actually love the story and writing now that I have deciphered it.

What I don't love..... THE GAMEPLAY AND LEVELLING. In fact I think I need to make a thread about it.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: January 07, 2014, 06:12:57 PM »

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII [Part 3] Inside the Square -- All Games Beta

Think this is the last part.
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: January 07, 2014, 10:19:08 PM »

I still haven't finished FFXIII-2... my main excuse is essentially lack of time because the game looked pretty good despite all the hate against it. I also liked the first FFXIII even if the storyline wasn't the best element of the game, I thought the battle system was brilliant.

I guess I should hurry beat FFXIII-2 and then get Lightning Returns when it's released.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: January 11, 2014, 12:03:27 PM »

the collector's edition swag was shown, that pocketwatch and artbook(why no soundtrack?). First instinct was to throw money AC 2 style, but it's square enix store only and it's done by Digital River(of Ni no Kuni Wizard's edition debacle fame) so I guess I'll pass and get it on amazon or ebay far in the distant future.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #593 on: January 11, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »

I still haven't finished FFXIII-2... my main excuse is essentially lack of time because the game looked pretty good despite all the hate against it. I also liked the first FFXIII even if the storyline wasn't the best element of the game, I thought the battle system was brilliant.

I guess I should hurry beat FFXIII-2 and then get Lightning Returns when it's released.

I will admit that the battle system isn't really that bad either, but that by the time you first get fully involved with it in the first game you're in the midst of the training montage for the game's endgame (and the endgame itself turns into a massive slog through enemies with sheer cliffs for HP). The second game is less restrictive on how you play it but your only real variety comes from the monsters you field since Serah and Noel can and will be doing everything except the post game/DLC (and the endgame is once again a massive slog).

Basically, its not the system itself that's the problem but how its utilized.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: January 11, 2014, 03:40:03 PM »

I can really see both sides of the coin with XIII-2. I see why people hate it. I see why people love it. You can provide a justifiable (albeit subjective) argument in either position.

For me personally, on the topic of gameplay, I am torn. Once I got the hang of it, it proved really addicting. I will however say the camera left me not likiing it nearly as much as I could have. I identified the constant roaming motion of the camera during battle was the root cause of the terrible motion sickness I was experiencing. In application, it made it difficult for me to "see" what was actually happening and forced me more to watch and study what was happening with the stats on the bottom of the screen. In other words, too much happening on screen (visual freakin' chaos at points) to focus on. I did not have this problem with XIII.

Leveling while not confusing at all, is poorly explained. So poorly, until I came here and asked I had no grasp as to what I was really aiming to do.

The story I loved. I don't however feel it jived with the games method of progression. The writing and way things are expressed make it difficult enough to comprehend... couple that with the fact that you can see story bits out of order depending on what gates you open and go to first and you have a real tricky scenario of "connecting the dots" on your hands.

Last, and I believe this was mentioned by someone earlier in the thread or in another, it just simply doesn't feel like a JRPG to me. JRPGs scratch an itch for me XIII-2 did not. And this by NO MEANS qualifies it as BAD in my book. There are plenty of games that are great that are not JRPG's (they just are not for me) and ultimately this feels like something else to me.  I actually give them lots of credit for creating something rather unconventional here, even if it doesn't quite "work" all the way around.

It is weird for me to say it, but between the nausea I get from battles and the fact that I am really concerned with seeing the narrative progression in a proper linear order, this may be the one game I truly enjoy watching instead of playing.

I did not finish it, and doubt I will. I feel like the 7 hour youtube movie would be a better prep for LR should I choose in a month to try that out.... unless I can't curb my OCD and vomit my way to the finish-LoL

And on the XIII-3/LR note... I sort of wish they made LR  more of  Zelda clone to be honest. I love the costumes idea, but am really wondering if I am going to enjoy the constant need to shuffle between them. Likewise, the idea of leveling via sidequests vs. battles is a major turn off for me. Without playing it is (obviously) too early to make assumptions as to what things will be like, but based on what I've seen thus far I'm feeling like it could be a real bitter sweet experience.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #595 on: January 11, 2014, 04:52:49 PM »

For me personally, on the topic of gameplay, I am torn. Once I got the hang of it, it proved really addicting. I will however say the camera left me not likiing it nearly as much as I could have. I identified the constant roaming motion of the camera during battle was the root cause of the terrible motion sickness I was experiencing. In application, it made it difficult for me to "see" what was actually happening and forced me more to watch and study what was happening with the stats on the bottom of the screen. In other words, too much happening on screen (visual freakin' chaos at points) to focus on. I did not have this problem with XIII.

Just wondering here; Do you usually have issues with fast-paced action?

The story I loved. I don't however feel it jived with the games method of progression. The writing and way things are expressed make it difficult enough to comprehend... couple that with the fact that you can see story bits out of order depending on what gates you open and go to first and you have a real tricky scenario of "connecting the dots" on your hands.

In my experience the thing that most took time for me to get was how 'Chaos' worked. Outside of that I feel like I'm one of the few that didn't went bananas in their first playthrough. Everytime I didn't get something I searched for details on a wiki or a guide.
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: January 11, 2014, 06:16:05 PM »

Just wondering here; Do you usually have issues with fast-paced action?

Never had a problem before this. Not once that I recognized at least.

It has me wondering if I haven't been suffering the same problem but to a lesser, more tolerable, extent with other games.

What I can say is that it is EXTREME with XIII-2. I noticed right from the initial cutscenes in the opening that after only 20 minutes or so, I didn't "feel good". Sadly it took two weeks of feeling sick shortly into each game session that I made the correlation. After playing games for 20 years without problem, it just didn't occur to me that motion sickness as a result of a game could even be an issue.

The battles are what really sealed the deal for me though. Even with ginger caps in my inventory and sea bracelets equipped (hahahaha) a few battles is enough to ruin the rest of my day...

Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #597 on: January 11, 2014, 06:24:33 PM »

I wonder how preoccupied SE is with health problems.
A lot of devs now consider motion sickness, epilepsy and color blindness when making games.
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #598 on: January 12, 2014, 02:58:53 PM »

I wonder how preoccupied SE is with health problems.
A lot of devs now consider motion sickness, epilepsy and color blindness when making games.

I don't know how preoccupied they are but let me tell you, it sure is playing on my mind!! LoL

I want to do a little experiment of sampling games to see if others facilitate this same reaction in me. I figure a few hours of some FPS and racing titles should shed some light on whether or not this is something I need be concerned with when it comes to future gaming.

Sickest part of the whole equation is that I still want an Final Fantasy fix in my life and keep considering XIII-2/LR. This is particularly dumb because I don't even know if I LIKE the gameplay changes being made with LR. My only other options (to get my fix) are FF1, FF5 and FF9.... 5 and 9 I played way too long ago to remember and strangely enough I never played the "Origins" version of 1.

The only real appeal to me is Lightning herself, getting to play dress up and the remote hope that it "feels" somewhat like crisis core did (highly addictive). Honestly everything else about LR sounds like it is going to annoy the heck out of me! LoL

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: January 12, 2014, 11:21:17 PM »

@Klyde Chroma: I wonder if it's the frame rate that is causing the motion sickness. As far as I remember XIII-2 runs at 30, on 360 though the frame rate fluctuates a lot while on PS3 it drops in sequences with heavy action.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: