Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 10:59:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340932 Posts in 13934 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 56 Print
Author Topic: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days  (Read 70537 times)
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #630 on: January 20, 2014, 12:17:30 PM »

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #631 on: January 20, 2014, 12:21:43 PM »

To be fair, there are clipping issues in a lot of games in this generation still. That first .gif was pretty hilarious though.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #632 on: January 20, 2014, 12:41:51 PM »

I think I smell a new signature image in my future (I'd make it my avatar, but I get called a "guy" enough...doubt a derp-doge woud help the ambiguity)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #633 on: January 20, 2014, 01:12:19 PM »

To be fair, there are clipping issues in a lot of games in this generation still. That first .gif was pretty hilarious though.

Yes, but usually because of weapons and armor conflict.
I don't think the dog equipped +5 ears of sanguine retribution.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #634 on: January 21, 2014, 10:57:08 AM »

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Demo Out Today on PS3 -- PlayStation.Blog
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:08:22 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #635 on: January 21, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »

Oh God, this is a quandary. I really want to go into this game completely fresh, but the opportunity to get a taste of the game is *really* tempting. I'll download it any way for the DLC, but whether or not I'll play it is a question I'm going to be mulling over all day now.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #636 on: January 22, 2014, 10:35:24 PM »

How to Activate Outerworld Services, Share Screenshots and Unlock Siegfried Garb in Lightning Returns Demo -- Square Portal

Haven't tried this myself yet but I'll leave it here anyway just in case if anyone needs some sort of help.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #637 on: January 23, 2014, 05:33:38 AM »

So I played the demo.

It's kind of boring gameplay wise. Tries too hard to be a FF game and an action game.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #638 on: January 23, 2014, 09:49:09 AM »

Tries too hard to be a FF game

You could argue the same thing about other games in the main series, is all about what the series itself means to you as a fan. Besides sequels in FF while are connected to the original game they always tend to be it's own thing.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #639 on: January 23, 2014, 10:06:36 AM »

So I played the demo.

It's kind of boring gameplay wise. Tries too hard to be a FF game and an action game.

The only thing I didn't really like about the gameplay was the discrepancy between normal battles and boss battles. It takes 2 seconds to down an enemy and 5-10 minutes to take down a boss. Although, according to reviews I read, it sounds like the demo is basically the beginning of the game (which doesn't explain the timer in the demo saying "06 days left") so hopefully normal battles become a little tougher and boss battles become less about whittling away at a massive damage sponge.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #640 on: January 23, 2014, 11:13:23 AM »

I liked it.  Once I figured out that each "schema" has its own separate ATB bar it became quite fun.  I did skip cutscenes, though, because as stupid as I am in spoiling myself, I'd like to go in fresh.

It didn't really seem too action-y to me at all.
Datastorm

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #641 on: January 23, 2014, 01:56:55 PM »

Tried it out this morning, am a little concerned though about healing in the game. Being as you don't get full health back after battles, no healing spells, and only 5 slots for recovery items, I see certain death and alot of it....unless these are demo limitations?

doh
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #642 on: January 23, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »

Tries too hard to be a FF game

You could argue the same thing about other games in the main series, is all about what the series itself means to you as a fan. Besides sequels in FF while are connected to the original game they always tend to be it's own thing.
The problem isn't that it's an FF game, it's that it's trying to be new while holding onto the FF feel. Slows it down dramatically. It's obviously trying to be different, so why try so hard to be the same?

TASTY!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #643 on: January 23, 2014, 02:05:44 PM »

Tried it out this morning, am a little concerned though about healing in the game. Being as you don't get full health back after battles, no healing spells, and only 5 slots for recovery items, I see certain death and alot of it....unless these are demo limitations?

I'm sure there will be ways to expand your inventory in the game. Also, the game does feature an Easy mode where health will regenerate between battles.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #644 on: January 23, 2014, 02:15:43 PM »

The problem isn't that it's an FF game, it's that it's trying to be new while holding onto the FF feel. Slows it down dramatically. It's obviously trying to be different, so why try so hard to be the same?

Does it have the luxury of being allowed to be it's own game? I thought that XIII-1 was tied down by the FF name and would have done better without it. The FF name brings with it some brand notice but also some unreasonable expectations from the fans. I am just as guilty at this. It is like saying I thought Suikoden Tierkreis was a good RPG but a poor Suikoden. Which it was ;)

Not saying XIII was a perfect game or that a lot of the flaws fans point out are wrong but a lot of them may have been overlooked or actually seen as a plus if the game was not weighed down by the FF name.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: