Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:07:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334848 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 56 Print
Author Topic: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days  (Read 65387 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #705 on: February 11, 2014, 04:31:39 PM »

Yeah, I expect I'll enjoy it.

On another note, SE sent out their orders fast enough, about a week ago, with the free shipping option that it's arriving today.  Why pick anything but free shipping with them?  It seems like a waste.

Well it's getting pretty late in the afternoon and still no package, so I guess I would have gotten it sooner with free shipping than with two day shipping? Wonderful.

EDIT: At least my Collector's Edition strategy came in today. complete with an ultra-glossy slip cover.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 06:36:10 PM by Klutz64 » Logged
Rockko

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #706 on: February 11, 2014, 11:09:08 PM »

Having fun with the game so far. The site review is fair and rather accurate in my opinion. If you got at least some enjoyment out of the previous two installments, you'll probably like it. The customization is cool, I look forward to getting into it, I don't even pretend to understand the "fusion" upgrading system for abilities yet. Wad those datalogs again though so you won't be totally lost.

So far it's pretty good though, a good solid 7ish out of 10. That's not bad. I kinda knew scores would be all over the place with this one, it's been that way for the entire series.
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #707 on: February 12, 2014, 01:25:48 PM »

I played 90+ hours in FFXIII, but got stuck at the final boss area several years ago. I had to resort to watching YouTube for the ending after grinding frustration and burnout.

I held out on buying FFXIII-2 after the reviews were mixed back in January 2012.

Recently, I have to admit I caved in and pre-ordered FFXIII: Lightning Returns after Gamestop announced DLC to get Lightning's Samurai armor and Cloud Solder First Class armor w/buster sword. I also just picked up FFXIII-2 on Amazon for a great price of $16, so I'll give FFXIII-2 a spin before I jump into Lightning Returns.

I've played every FF game growing up to the present with the exception of the online games. Yet... I'm little disheartened by all the poor reviews I've seen published around the web. I'll try to give Square-Enix the benefit of the doubt with Lightning's sequels and make up my mind of the series as a whole once I'm spent more time with the sequels.

Have fun playing the game rpgfans! I look forward to reading your reaction to the gameplay experience in this thread.

Playing: SMTIV (3DS).
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #708 on: February 12, 2014, 01:33:45 PM »

after Gamestop announced DLC to get Lightning's Samurai armor and Cloud Solder First Class armor w/buster sword.

Here's the sad part. If you want the game to have difficulty; you can't use them.

At least not in the beginning anyway.

I.E:
-The Buster Sword makes Lightning swing for about 2000+ auto-Stagger bursts right out the game thanks to the built in Heavy Strike Lv 2. (when every other available attack is dealing 200-400 tops)
-The Soldier Bracer drops a massive 2000+ HP onto her life total, effectively doubling her hit possible hit point pool compared to the other three starter schema.

The other Gamestop DLC pieces have similar effects, although they opt for other large bonuses rather than massive stat dumps.

Can't say exactly how long this equipment remains OP though because my PS3 controller decided to bug out not 10 minutes after playing a poor man's Metal Gear Solid with Lightning. (After doing some research it kinda makes me sad to realize that in 10-ish years my PS3 is going to be utterly worthless. The controllers are defectively designed and without fail will become unusable after 3-5 years of usage. So basically anything from this era's going to have to be emulated to play once I cross my late 30's since Sony doesn't believe in backwards compatibility. And I doubt they'll continue making PS3 controllers in 2024. )
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:15:53 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #709 on: February 12, 2014, 03:15:20 PM »

Yeah, the Cloud DLC is stupidly strong. I think I did 30k in one hit to the staggered first boss, when everything else didn't do more than 1k.

I'm not a fan of Aeris at all, but I love how her clothes look on Lightning.  I've been running around with it on the field because it looks great, particularly the little bow.

And finally, the pocket watch in the CE is much nicer than I expected.  Much nicer. 
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #710 on: February 12, 2014, 05:21:21 PM »

Quote from: ZeronHitaro link=topic=11607.msg322009#msg322009
(After doing some research it kinda makes me sad to realize that in 10-ish years my PS3 is going to be utterly worthless. The controllers are defectively designed and without fail will become unusable after 3-5 years of usage. So basically anything from this era's going to have to be emulated to play once I cross my late 30's since Sony doesn't believe in backwards compatibility. And I doubt they'll continue making PS3 controllers in 2024. )

Say what?  I got my PS3 and a second controller in 2008 and they're both still working just fine...

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #711 on: February 12, 2014, 05:25:23 PM »

(After doing some research it kinda makes me sad to realize that in 10-ish years my PS3 is going to be utterly worthless. The controllers are defectively designed and without fail will become unusable after 3-5 years of usage. So basically anything from this era's going to have to be emulated to play once I cross my late 30's since Sony doesn't believe in backwards compatibility. And I doubt they'll continue making PS3 controllers in 2024. )

Say what?  I got my PS3 and a second controller in 2008 and they're both still working just fine...

Naw, after a few knee-height drops mine starts getting funky.
My pink one is destroyed, but I'm protecting my CE Xillia controller with my life.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #712 on: February 12, 2014, 05:30:24 PM »

My pink one is destroyed, but I'm protecting my CE Xillia controller with my life.

Just stop dropping them =P
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #713 on: February 12, 2014, 05:41:16 PM »

Just stop dropping them =P

YEAH THANKS, I'LL DO THAT.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #714 on: February 12, 2014, 05:48:24 PM »

There's a defect with the left analog stick where, over time, the crappy pasting job between the circuitry comes loose. As a result your controller will eventually start having a spaz fit where any small jiggle (or even zero input if its bad enough) of the left stick makes the controller believe any other button/s have been pushed as well. (Something to do with one circuit board nudging into another due to foam being compressed if I remember the details right.) Dropping and other forms of abuse really don't matter, it's basically a time bomb with 3-5 being the average detonation time. The lucky ones get extra life span but it will happen eventually because the only way to stop the foam compression is to just never use the left analog stick.

On Youtube there's a video of someone dissecting the controller in order to show off this fault. Technically they also claim you can repair it by re-taping the loose circuits but tape doesn't exactly have a very good durability record for holding something that gets motion constantly applied to it. Eventually you're pretty much just boned. At least until the PS3 becomes retro enough for someone to build a Sony PlayToaster 3 for Ebay profit.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 05:55:24 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #715 on: February 13, 2014, 01:33:49 AM »

This game is...

I feel like I'm learning to play Atelier all over again. I probably shouldn't be stressed out, but I am. On subsequent playthroughs I won't be, I'm positive, but on this blind first playthrough I'm minorly panicking. I do love the focus on exploration, though, which is probably the cause of my above issue.

Anyway -
Code:
I'm more than a bit disappointed in how Noel was treated by SE.  I mean, he angsts all over Yeul, which is understandable,
but he doesn't even mention Serah, or even empathize with Lightning when she mentions wanting to save Serah.  Unless he magically
gets a part later, which I doubt since the game seems to be character-episodic based, then I feel like they've hurt his character quite
badly.
anonypc

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #716 on: February 13, 2014, 06:46:27 PM »

So for those that are playing lightning returns ATM, I've been on the fence for days now about purchasing a digital copy, and although I read the review on the site, I'm still going to ask anyone that's currently playing it.... is it a decent game?

IMO, just for reference
FF 13: mediocre game
FF 13-2: mediocre game, but better than FF 13
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #717 on: February 13, 2014, 07:06:03 PM »

It's very...different.  I can't even really compare it to XIII and XIII-2 from a gameplay perspective.

I only have about 8 hours so far, so I can't make any final conclusions, but my thoughts are:

1. You're heavily rewarded for exploration and doing side quests.  And by heavily rewarded, I mean "the majority of your stat boosts come from completing side quests, so it's very important/imperative to do so."  I love this, personally. I can see others disliking it.

2. I'm adoring the battle system.   I went through a bit of a wave with it.  I liked it when I played the demo, but was underwhelmed at first when I started the game.  By the time I got about halfway through the first major area I started picking up on how things are meant to be done and started realizing it's surprisingly impressive.  Timing is quite important, such as interrupting attacks, attacking while vulnerable, and so on.  You can even cut off body parts if you time things right.

The Paradigm system is only here as a way to change your command set.  You have 3 customizable ones in battle with you.  Each Schema (Read: costume) has different base stats attacked to it, making it more suitable for HP, MP, magic, attack, defense, balanced, so on.  

Fair warning:  The battles start out pretty slow until you start leveling your stats via quests and synthesizing your skills to strengthen them.  You also really, really need to exploit enemy vulnerabilities, or battles will take forever.  For example, one machine enemy is really only vulnerable when he's charging a certain attack.

3.  Lightning is really offputting during the main story, to be honest.  I'm relatively neutral towards her usually, but I found myself, for example, empathizing a lot more with Noel during his events.  She is, however, a lot more likable during side quests where she is less harsh and more expressive and shows a softer side.  Actually, thinking on it, she really is like Cloud in this regard.

4. I'm finding the music to be the weakest in the series so far, but I did like that one remix of Blinded by the Light, so maybe it'll improve.  I haven't heard a lot of it, yet.

On an unrelated note -
I love how I can run around in whatever costume I like.  I mentioned it above, but I've been running around in Aerith's dress because it looks nice.  It's a bit funny hearing people comment on her outfit choice, from the flowers, to claiming she's a white mage, and so on.  It also changes her post-battle quotes.
One generic NPC is a bit creepy and says "Cute bow!" as you pass.  I don't think it's meant to be as disturbing as it sounds in-game, but yeah, if someone said that to me in real life I'd sort of inch away.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 07:10:53 PM by Cyril » Logged
anonypc

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #718 on: February 13, 2014, 07:13:28 PM »

hahahah well said well said, wow thank you for the hasty reply, love the honesty.  I will probably get some yoshinoya now while I continue to try and make a decision.  Would love to hear more thoughts, thanks in advance.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #719 on: February 13, 2014, 07:57:46 PM »

@anonypc: You might be able to enjoy game itself but if you are not into XIII or you have your issues with "what the series (FF) has become" then I don't know what to tell you really...

LR is the second sequel to a divisive series online. It is what it is and you can either go for it with an open-mind or put that time and money into something else, is your choice in the end.

Have you tried demo yet?
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: