Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 02:20:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334802 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 56 Print
Author Topic: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days  (Read 65100 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: December 24, 2012, 10:46:09 AM »

It's one way to make Lightning look less ridiculous.

I've always loved the sheer biological impossibility of having a face like Lightning or Serah's.  Or at the very least, their perfectly whisping hair. 

Especially in the XIII's first FMV where she's on a train...and her hair is just blowing gracefully, as opposed to the way it would in...y'know, real life.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 07:41:02 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: December 24, 2012, 01:39:31 PM »

Dat pic makes lighting have a derp face. How Dare YOU! Shame. :P

What!? Can't you see her blushing? She so tsun~.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: December 24, 2012, 07:54:20 PM »

Bad main outfit = More DLC Costume sales.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: December 25, 2012, 10:07:29 AM »

Lightning Returns uses "Amazing ATB" battle system -- Source: Gematsu
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: December 25, 2012, 12:19:10 PM »

Someday, when I become a more "refined person" and make my own RPGs, I will develop an "amazing" combat system of my own.  I will probably name the game "The Best RPG: Game of the Forever" or something like that so I can ensure my studio's success through the maximization of game sales by telling everyone in advance that all these various elements, right down to the title of the game, are incredible.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2012, 02:09:48 PM »

How many people here finished XIII-2?
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: December 25, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »

Platinumed, actually.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2012, 01:49:37 AM »

Well that's one. :T

This week I got the Platinum Trophy after I took a long break from the game and came back to it. Only thing I have left to do now are the Coliseum battles of Gilgamesh and Snow along with getting the weapons that give Serah and Noel the 6th ATB bar, gonna left that for another day tough.

Also, update:

Lightning Returns uses "open world" connection for travel -- Source: Gematsu
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: December 26, 2012, 05:15:42 AM »

I sat through an LP and a half, and that half LP was awful for reasons beyond the actual game (mostly due to the LPers being so burnt out on spending two years LP FFXIII-1 that they spent about 6 episodes putting around New Buttom 003AF trying to get over the fact that they weren't getting railroaded as hard as before).

Edit:
In this title, one day is 24 hours. In Final Fantasy XIII it was 26 hours, but when time stopped 2 hours were lost.

They're retconning their own world building, of which they wasted, well not 4~5 years given that most of that went into the engine, but definitely years worth of development on?

Screw game making! I should get into writing. All I'll need is a thesaurus, a link to Wikipedia, and literally nothing better to do. In fact I could probably write up a female lead right now....

Fountaina: A 16 year old strong-willed female magical girl healer type knight who fights the evil 'thirstsas' using nothing but her wits and her magical blade of water. But when the evil 'thristsa leader' attacked her home village one day she went on a journey to rescue her pet camel who is secretly a youthful handsome legendary hero prince that was fed the accursed 'bad dates' and can only be turned back by true love. Along the way she encounters a powerful ice scarecrow named king who was also a young handsome king cursed into his current form that also needs true love to be restored. She also meets a young and handsome boy who is secretly a time traveler from the 18th dimension and is also hunting the pure evil 'thristsa leader', armed with his super scientific soaker armory, and is secretly over 9000 years old to save his kingdom from being turned into a desert. And finally Fountaina is kidnapped by falling for the trap of the two thirstsa wet and whistle and the three handsome prince/kings dodge their trap and heroically save the day by beating the absolutely pure evil 'thrista leader'. But just as they are about the land the finishing blow the poor misguided 'thirstsa leader' establishes that 'she' was at one time a beautiful princess named Parched who suffered painfully from a thirst of love and that their powers have quenched her thirst for love and the four of them live happily ever after. The End.

There you go Squeenix. Job please!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 06:05:18 AM by Aeolus » Logged

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: December 26, 2012, 06:36:43 AM »

Screw game making! I should get into writing. All I'll need is a thesaurus, a link to Wikipedia, and literally nothing better to do. In fact I could probably write up a female lead right now....

Oh how some of us wish it were quite that simple. XP
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: December 26, 2012, 04:45:58 PM »

I sat through an LP and a half, and that half LP was awful for reasons beyond the actual game (mostly due to the LPers being so burnt out on spending two years LP FFXIII-1 that they spent about 6 episodes putting around New Buttom 003AF trying to get over the fact that they weren't getting railroaded as hard as before).

Because we all know that experiencing an RPG through an LP is the best way to form an opinon about a game

And I don't to sound like a asshole here but if you don't care about the game enough to play it then why bother to rant about it? Is a waste of time, and is not like people who enjoy XIII and its sequels don't know about the overblown criticism these games have with people talking about it everyday for 3 or 4 years already.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: December 27, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »

Because we all know that experiencing an RPG through an LP is the best way to form an opinon about a game

And I don't to sound like a asshole here but if you don't care about the game enough to play it then why bother to rant about it? Is a waste of time, and is not like people who enjoy XIII and its sequels don't know about the overblown criticism these games have with people talking about it everyday for 3 or 4 years already.

IMHO, it depends on the LP, the LPers, how comprehensive the LP is, and how familiar you are with the material. In the full LP I watched, it was a VLP (Video Let's Play) that I felt sufficiently covered the content of the game (even including all of the DLC) without cutting out too much grinding that occurred or speeding up things like battles and/or repetitious bullshit even when said things could've been sped up. Moreover, I am familiar enough with Squeenix's brand of grinding for bullshit rewards to know what it was that I was missing out on and it's not like FFXIII-2 reinvented the RPG wheel here either.

But beside the point, the reason why I watch LPs in the first place is because I either don't have the time or the opportunity to play these games myself. In the case of XIIIs 1 & 2 I don't own either PS360 and without going out and burning $300+[the cost of the game]+DLC dollars just to play a mediocre JRPG and a tech demo of said JRPG, LPs are the only other legal way to see what the games offer.

As for my ranting, why does the internet exist for if not to sperg and rant? Yes I rag on the FFXIII games a bit much, but what else am I supposed to do with my communication skills in regards to video gaming? Hope I just happen to know somebody who actually plays video games and isn't some kind of antisocial sperglord that only ever wants to talk about the stuff he plays while never letting the conversation last long enough to let you get in a word edgewise? Besides, I most rant for cathartic reasons, just like anybody else would.

Also that edit I made earlier wasn't just aimed at FFXIIIs 1 & 2 but also crappy fiction like Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey which are turning into multimillion dollar franchises that make me feel like I wasted my time on trying to make video games or having a meaningful career and should've become a sell out novelist who can turn dreck into dosh with a wave of his magic pen instead. (The current state of the video game industry has also played a part in my current disgust with it "Video gaming! Its not for women or any civilized/productive individual for that matter." (I may have watched the most recent VGA recently).)

Edit: Also this.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 01:22:39 PM by Aeolus » Logged

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: December 27, 2012, 06:57:35 PM »

I was not judging you for watching LPs nor I asked for a reason of why you do it.

I know everyone that has a familiarity with a franchise or genre can make their own assumptions over their previous experiences with other titles with an LP, but at the end of the day without playing the actual game that opinion is based more in perception rather than personal experience which I personally consider more valuable.

There's nothing wrong with sharing opinions just based on impressions and discuss them openly though.

But beside the point, the reason why I watch LPs in the first place is because I either don't have the time or the opportunity to play these games myself. In the case of XIIIs 1 & 2 I don't own either PS360 and without going out and burning $300+[the cost of the game]+DLC dollars just to play a mediocre JRPG and a tech demo of said JRPG, LPs are the only other legal way to see what the games offer.

Perfectly understandable.

As for my ranting, why does the internet exist for if not to sperg and rant? Yes I rag on the FFXIII games a bit much, but what else am I supposed to do with my communication skills in regards to video gaming? Hope I just happen to know somebody who actually plays video games and isn't some kind of antisocial sperglord that only ever wants to talk about the stuff he plays while never letting the conversation last long enough to let you get in a word edgewise? Besides, I most rant for cathartic reasons, just like anybody else would.

I never criticised the ranting, on the contrary you can say whatever you want.

I was just mentioning the fixation that people have on complaining about XIII and its sequels. There are very good reasons for this negativity to be a thing, but after all this years this same negativity has been exaggerated IMO.

Also that edit I made earlier wasn't just aimed at FFXIIIs 1 & 2 but also crappy fiction like Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey which are turning into multimillion dollar franchises that make me feel like I wasted my time on trying to make video games or having a meaningful career and should've become a sell out novelist who can turn dreck into dosh with a wave of his magic pen instead. (The current state of the video game industry has also played a part in my current disgust with it "Video gaming! Its not for women or any civilized/productive individual for that matter." (I may have watched the most recent VGA recently).)

This is none of my business.

Edit: Also this.

Dissecting video games has its charm I guess...
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2012, 07:03:41 PM »

After comments about how horrid Lightning's new outfit was I had to check it out. Never thought I'd see the unholy mix of chaimail bikini and trench coat.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: December 27, 2012, 10:03:57 PM »

I was not judging you for watching LPs nor I asked for a reason of why you do it.

I apologize for my mistake. I thought that your criticism was directed at me specifically by the way your post was written.

I was just mentioning the fixation that people have on complaining about XIII and its sequels. There are very good reasons for this negativity to be a thing, but after all this years this same negativity has been exaggerated IMO.

I think that a large amount of flack that Squeenix has been receiving has stemmed from the fact that, at one time, the Final Fantasy series was one of the leading franchises of JRPGs and that for the last decade now they've basically let the franchise go. FFXII and XIII-1 were development clusterfucks that took years to make apiece and failed to live up to their own hype while XIV needed scraping to be rebuilt from scratch and Versus has turned into the next Duke Nukem Forever. For one of the leading franchises from one of the largest Japanese developers there were great expectations riding on these games and all that's come of it has been nothing short of a catastrophic series of events that would've shutdown a lesser developer. Even the few good games to have come out of Squeenix as of late have been confined to Japan only despite any sort of clamoring from this side of the Pacific.

But lets face facts that gamers are the absolute, most self-entitled, self-centered, small minded, racist, sexist, laziest, cadré of assholes on the face of the earth. So of course, we're going to bitch when things don't go our way.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: