Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 02:03:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338116 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 56 Print
Author Topic: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days  (Read 68410 times)
Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: June 06, 2013, 11:53:19 PM »

I do mark the gameplay as being pretty good and *definitely* different.... I just don't know if high-speed auto-battles is a good route in the future since it takes away a lot of the control from the player in terms of options.

tl;dr
Making a good, balanced game is hard as fuck.
I really like the battle system of XIII, I particularly liked how well balanced the battles were. The battles in XIII-2 were all over the place because it was more open and while the rest of the gameplay improved I didn't really like that or the monsters. In XIII I liked the lifeless corridors as it worked in the plot and kept the pace up. I have to say that high-speed auto-battles and tunnel vision maps should not be the series future. I'm happy to see the battle system being iterated on in the XIII series and hopefully they can make a really good system in Lightning Returns. The battles worked in this series and maybe it will work in a different one in the future, but I want Final Fantasy to keep experimenting.

I've stayed out of the talking about the story because... well we all know how that worked out.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: June 07, 2013, 12:22:02 AM »

Confession: I've beaten Final Fantasy XIII three times and I still could not tell you what's going on during the final battle sequences. It's basically just "So I'm supposed to kill you now, right? Okay, sure whatever."
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: June 07, 2013, 12:31:44 AM »

I guess this is where we're just going to have to agree to disagree: I hated the battle system in XIII.  I've ranted about why at length before and I don't feel like going into again.  But when you take away the battle system for XIII...what's left?

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: June 07, 2013, 12:37:03 AM »

Kinda curious to see how they justify that plot in the trailer. Also, why does Lightning have the Wing Gundam shield?

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Jotacon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: June 07, 2013, 12:37:41 AM »

Confession: I've beaten Final Fantasy XIII three times and I still could not tell you what's going on during the final battle sequences. It's basically just "So I'm supposed to kill you now, right? Okay, sure whatever."
Don't worry they were doing it because it was right. Even if it was all part of the bad guys plan and they knew it. As long as they CHOSE to do, it was okay. Even if millions died as Cocoon crashed to the ground and... yeah. I can say despite the melodrama I really liked the plot up until Chapter 9.

I guess this is where we're just going to have to agree to disagree: I hated the battle system in XIII.  I've ranted about why at length before and I don't feel like going into again.  But when you take away the battle system for XIII...what's left?
I can do that. I've had that fight too many times myself. Without the battle system there is not much. I still liked the characters, but it is just a series of corridors and treasure chest in between cutscenes.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: June 07, 2013, 12:48:27 AM »

as much as i like lightning i never completed FFXIII due to being cockblocked by proudclad ver2.0

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: June 07, 2013, 01:00:46 AM »

I do mark the gameplay as being pretty good and *definitely* different.... I just don't know if high-speed auto-battles is a good route in the future since it takes away a lot of the control from the player in terms of options.

tl;dr
Making a good, balanced game is hard as fuck.
I really like the battle system of XIII, I particularly liked how well balanced the battles were. The battles in XIII-2 were all over the place because it was more open and while the rest of the gameplay improved I didn't really like that or the monsters. In XIII I liked the lifeless corridors as it worked in the plot and kept the pace up. I have to say that high-speed auto-battles and tunnel vision maps should not be the series future. I'm happy to see the battle system being iterated on in the XIII series and hopefully they can make a really good system in Lightning Returns. The battles worked in this series and maybe it will work in a different one in the future, but I want Final Fantasy to keep experimenting.

I've stayed out of the talking about the story because... well we all know how that worked out.

I actually *KINDA* liked the monsters and felt slightly relieved that it meant, technically, less options so I wouldn't have to fight with some many choices.
Plus..it KINDA felt like new characters which was cool and fun or whatever.
I HATED how a lot of the BEST characters were so fucking random.
Throw SD Mog (eugh)  into a cliff hole for Silver Chocobo!!
Throw SD Mog (eugh!) into a field of flowers for the strongest Chu Chu in the game!!!

Also, between 13-2 and Ni no Kuni, "capture rates" can go straight to hell.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Jotacon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: June 07, 2013, 01:25:07 AM »

I think that post sums up my feelings about FFXIII-2. I KINDA liked it. I forgot about SD Mog (eugh) and "capture rates." Yup that's some bullshit.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: June 07, 2013, 01:40:55 AM »

My understanding was that the Space Pope was secretly a Robogod trying to kill an even bigger god so that he can be with his big mama god and he wanted Miss Amnesiac to go super sayin again to wreck the Death Star and crash it into Namek thus waking up big mama god and thus sends the merry band of misfits down to Namek to powerlevel for a while, they come back and bring an assload of Namekian fauna with them, Robogod pulls some bullshit to insta-turn everyone into zombies, your guys fumble around in the eleventh dimension for a couple of hours fighting a couple dozen doomstacks of HP, you make it to the Robogod and fight him again, he dives into a pool and becomes the bigger Robogod that he's trying to kill, you fight him again, you win, you still lose, your party gets turned into zombies, the Thunder-from-down-under goes super sayin, bullshit happens and your party gets Holy Water'd by big mama god, the Aussie lesbians perform symmetrical docking and go SSJ4, they kill Robogod mk2, then they pull a Superman and spin around the Death Star enough times to turn them and it into a big fucking PSN Trophy, everybody else ends up on Namek and live happily ever after (until XIII-2 which immediately retcons that into Miss Cloud disappears for no real reason, Little Miss Serah-chan makes puppy dog eyes, Mr. "I'm a Hero" disappears, then Gogmagog shows up and gets jobbed by KH's Sora using the bulletproof alias of Noel Christ).

I just love describing that sequence. Its just such a useless clusterfuck of Deus Ex Machinas, outright bullshit, complete and total comprehension failure on the characters' part, complete tonal dissonance from the Logan's Run plot up until the endgame sequence, and the complete and total uselessness of the party barring the two who are, for all intents and purposes, the real leads of the game (which is why Fang was supposed to be male because Japan can't seem to have female leads without a male lead stealthily becoming the main character and/or stealing their thunder).

I guess this is where we're just going to have to agree to disagree: I hated the battle system in XIII.  I've ranted about why at length before and I don't feel like going into again.  But when you take away the battle system for XIII...what's left?

Kinda falls into my beef with the trilogy thus far as well. For a series of Triple A+ developed games, they barely feel mediocre at best. I've gotten more out of Star Ocean 2 and that GBA Tales of Phantasia port than either FFXIII games thus far. They feel like Breath of Fire 2 with the cliched archetypes, the unbalanced and gimmicky battle system, the grindy endgames, the backtracking (in FFXIII-2's case), and especially in their plots which are just as comprehensible as BoF2's plot after the shoddy localization got through obfuscating it (though one difference is that BoF2 has much better character and enemy designs).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: June 07, 2013, 09:15:05 AM »

Well at the very least I assume we can all agree that Academia 400AF can go fuck itself, yeah?
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: June 07, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »

Well at the very least I assume we can all agree that Academia 400AF can go fuck itself, yeah?

Both versions can.  Early one for the quiz game; doomsday one for annoying puzzle.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: June 07, 2013, 11:26:42 AM »

I was referring to the one with endless Ceith spawns.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: June 07, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII 720p Screenshots -- Source: All Games Beta
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: June 07, 2013, 12:15:09 PM »

Graphically, it's obvious squeenix knows what the fuck they're doing (I won't lie, I got super confused that the link started with some fanart...I wuz like "hah what?").

I also like just about every other "job" outfit compared to that standard navy blue, red, and white mess that makes her look like a human Gundam.

I also can't help but *hope* the series gives a happy ending after all the shitty things they've all been through.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: June 07, 2013, 12:32:41 PM »

I also can't help but *hope* the series gives a happy ending after all the shitty things they've all been through.

I assume that there is going to be more than one ending almost in the same way there is in XIII-2 but the 'true ending' is said to be the happiest of them all. That was one of the first things SQEX made public about LR, and I guess they did that mostly for some of the reaction the ending of XIII-2 had.

While a happy ending would bother me I rather keep my mind open until I see things for myself.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: