Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 07:20:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341334 Posts in 13950 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 56 Print
Author Topic: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days  (Read 71595 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: September 14, 2013, 05:08:12 PM »

Totally different, those are antagonistic characters forcing woman to marry against their wishes. I'm talking about formerly romantic involvements that slowly drift apart. I've NEVER seen that in a game... But it happens a lot in reality.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: September 14, 2013, 10:01:01 PM »

Totally different, those are antagonistic characters forcing woman to marry against their wishes. I'm talking about formerly romantic involvements that slowly drift apart. I've NEVER seen that in a game... But it happens a lot in reality.

FFVI with Terra and Locke? Granted they don't really get together before Locke finds his Rachel expy in Celes but it does come up once or twice before Terra moves on to crushing on the ill-fated General Leo.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: September 15, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »

This is actually a good point.  I started musing on this and very few games other than the whole "former childhood crush" that use the idea.  When it comes to Japan, it's probably a cultural thing.

Xenosaga plays with the idea a bit.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: September 15, 2013, 03:49:29 PM »

I don't think it's specifically Japanese, though. It's kind of a universal taboo. It sort of goes against one of the basic principals of romanticism: that love is eternal and lasts through everything. Most games try to depict some outcome of "emotional purity," even in the face of extreme turmoil or evil. Having the main characters do anything that goes against emotional purity is very uncommon. We've seen some instances of excuses: coercion, naiveté, characters that start off not so pure and become more so later, etc. But for a game to end with a romance that drifts apart is virtually unheard of, as far as I can see.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: September 15, 2013, 04:35:10 PM »

I don't think it's specifically Japanese, though. It's kind of a universal taboo. It sort of goes against one of the basic principals of romanticism: that love is eternal and lasts through everything. Most games try to depict some outcome of "emotional purity," even in the face of extreme turmoil or evil. Having the main characters do anything that goes against emotional purity is very uncommon. We've seen some instances of excuses: coercion, naiveté, characters that start off not so pure and become more so later, etc. But for a game to end with a romance that drifts apart is virtually unheard of, as far as I can see.

Well, not an RPG, but Catherine is the closest I can think of when it comes to dealing with those type of issues. Real-life aspects of relationships is not really something that is covered by video-games as they tend to focus on more fantastical issues. That being said, a few of the social links in Persona 3 were dealing tangentally with issues of divorce, so perhaps that counts?

I doubt that Serah and Snow are going to break up, though. :P
Hopefully the wedding dress is fabulous. They are focusing heavily on fashion in this game, so I can't see why it shouldn't be.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: September 15, 2013, 04:57:39 PM »

Douchebag, sure, but how was Snow ever abusive?  While I like pretty much nothing about his character, I still don't see that.  He seemed pretty sincere about their relationship...in a creepy way.

I can't believe I'm defending Snow...

Agreed, he's the very definition of douchbaggery, but I'm not seeing any abuse. Maybe some neglect, though it's fairly justifiable (if a bit extreme). But talk about lack of chemistry, and just their physical makeup is extremely unsettling. But if you think that Serah is, what 19? and Snow is, even though he's huge and physically imposing, he's probably around the same age as Lightning, who is 2 years older than Serah, it's really not that creepy. But the designers could have gone a long way toward making them more comfortable as a couple.

But it's as if the designers didn't want us to like them. So far, the actual completion of their romance seems so unlikely at this point, that who cares? Serah died (though somehow comes back), Snow has found some new life as a dictator or something-or-other. And practically everyone sees more in Serah/Noel's relationship. It's hard for me to imagine the developers wrapping this up with a happy wedding. Honestly, I'd be cheering my butt off if they decided to toss in the towel at the end of the series... how many times have we seen an engagement broken off in a videogame? I think it's an unspoken taboo, and I'd think very highly of the developers if they went against the grain.

Even though I know you're wrong, insofar there are still a startling amount of SnowxSerah supporters (who the fuck knows why because I agree with everything you said, hell it's even played up in their paradox ending to a hammy load); I'd love to see a game with the engagement off.

That is if Serah hasn't used up all of her "1ups" yet. 

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: September 16, 2013, 06:49:49 AM »

I know that games exist with this sort of dynamic. I'm just having a hard time thinking of any because it isn't a plot point which really doesn't resound with me so I tend to just not remember it. I mean I guess Ar Tonelico 2 sort of has it with the initial relationship with Luca, but that would probably fall under "excuses" for you.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: September 16, 2013, 09:33:33 AM »

"A new demo traversing the Wildlands will be featured in Tokyo Game Show." -- Lightning Returns News (Tumblr)

Sample nine tracks from the Lightning Returns original soundtrack -- Nova Crystallis

Those are the tracks from the last update of official Japanese site. These are spoilers of course for those who like to experience the soundtrack while playing the game for the first time.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: September 16, 2013, 03:19:38 PM »

Catherine is an incredibly mature and sophisticated game... I need to finish it. Of all things, my girlfriend gave it to me! But above and beyond, I think it would be interesting to see a game that just dealt with the fact that relationships change, especially young relationships. Nothing sinister or amoral even, just two protagonists who's relationship slowly drifted apart. I had this happen when I was younger a few times, it was sad but very honest and realistic. I think it could be done in a not so negative way either, where one or both protagonists find love in other people, and realize that the original romance just wasn't as fulfilling as they thought. I'm sure there are small side examples, and I'm sure there are some exambles where woman are with villain men and fall in love with protagonists, but that usually falls into the "woman getting out of an abusive relationship" description, which is something entirely different.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: September 16, 2013, 07:48:51 PM »

Now that I think about it, don't the Ys series and the Zelda series kinda go with the 'parting is such sweet sorrow' endings?

Or at least they go with "There's romantic feelings in the air tonight, but adventure is my first and true mistress.".

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: September 16, 2013, 08:03:42 PM »

@Prime Mover: I still haven't replayed Catherine since my first playthrough left a pretty big impression on me. It really is one of the best games released in the last few years.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: September 21, 2013, 09:39:01 AM »

Yuna Garb -- SQEXMembersNA, YouTube

Players will need to purchase Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster on PS3 or Vita in order to obtain this outfit for use in Lightning Returns.*

---

Tokyo Game Show Stream:

Customization

Social Features
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: September 21, 2013, 10:42:48 AM »

I am probably looking forward to this game a lot more than most members on RPGFan but have to say that I have not changed my opinion on the Yuna costume at all after seeing it in video format rather than simply a screenshot. It just looks off and doesn't suit the character at all. I am fine with others such as the Locke's costume though.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: September 21, 2013, 10:48:56 AM »

Eh, it's just a cross-promotional thing anyway like the Mi'qote costume from FFXIV, probably not all that useful in the game.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: September 21, 2013, 10:55:36 AM »

I agree with you, Darilon, it looks so out of place. The good thing about it is that there are so many already we'll probably forget it exists.
I know I won't be able to use it even if I want to as I plan to import the X/X-2 collection in Japanese to train a bit but I'll also wait a bit since in the Vita they are selling them separate and at a pretty steep price.

Back to Lightning Returns, I'm also very excited for it. The music I've heard so far sounds very good, and there's a thing about those vibrant colors in Final Fantasy that put a smile on my face anytime.
Also I'm a big fan of the job system in any FF game. Ever since I played X-2 I feel in love with this ability to have such much stuff at will.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: