Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2014, 12:28:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332067 Posts in 13604 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 56 Print
Author Topic: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days  (Read 62283 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: November 10, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »

Didn't mean it in a bad way.

Me neither mang. Sorry if the message came out too aggressive. :T
Rockko

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: November 10, 2013, 10:42:04 PM »

I'm going to need to find a good synopsis of the plot of XIII before I jump into XIII-2 though... I can hardly recall the nuts and bolts of it. To be honest I didn't quite gather what the hell was going on even while I played it.

There is actually a chapter-by-chapter written synopsis of XIII within XIII-2. And like XIII, it would benefit you greatly to read all of the datalog entries. I know it's the only way that I can tell what the hell is going on in either of those games...
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: November 11, 2013, 04:50:57 PM »

Most of the plot in FFXIII felt pretty irrelevant in FFXIII-2 though. Only thing that seemed important was the epilogue.

We can go for hours if you want talking about this.

Long story short though is that XIII wasn't a trilogy at first but then XIV 1.0 and other shenanigans happened at SQEX and the story was expanded. Was that bad? No. Should people be all nitpicky about it? Yeah why not, but you know how opinions work in the Internet.

Point is that the story was expanded in a nice way and the connection of the three games goes as far as it need to go to leave every game to be its own thing in the process.

Didn't mean it in a bad way. Just saying that Klyde will not be missing much if he goes into FFXIII-2 without having a great memory of the first game.

This is all very reassuring, thank you!

I'm going to need to find a good synopsis of the plot of XIII before I jump into XIII-2 though...

Go to the "Beginner's Primer" in the main menu. I also recommend reading the novels, they do help to get a better understanding or "sense" of the narrative.

...and seriously the story is not difficult to get, but it can be hard to follow at first.

Where do I find the novels?

Most of them are fan translated. So you can find them online; Oh and there are also Drama CDs of the novel of XIII, but I don't know if the parts uploaded back then are on YouTube anymore.

Also just in case, there is an easy mode in XIII-2.
I had no idea there were novels... that info is golden my friend. I will totally be checking those out.

I don't know why it seems that I have utterly and completely eradicated my recall of XIII. I just didn't enjoy it and I can't even come up with a decent argument as to why. It just really WAS NOT my cup of tea I suppose. I remember clearly how grindy the last chapter felt. I also remember how relieved I was to see the credits roll, but thats about it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:53:04 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: November 11, 2013, 05:08:44 PM »

To be fair, there are so many names and historical events that play into the plot of FFXIII and yet are only mentioned in passing that it's hard to keep track of it all. That and the whole reveal during the final battles about "what's really going on" was a little difficult to follow to say the least.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: November 11, 2013, 09:28:39 PM »

Well that, and the fact that you had no real agency to speak of. Not as a player nor as the characters that you were playing.

Edit: Also retcons. (Warring: contains XIII-1 spoilers.)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:07:44 AM by Aeolus » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: November 13, 2013, 11:19:28 AM »

Well that, and the fact that you had no real agency to speak of. Not as a player nor as the characters that you were playing.

Edit: Also retcons. (Warring: contains XIII-1 spoilers.)

Good grief, whatever.  They can make Odin a pony and I'm sure they'd make it "make sense".

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: November 13, 2013, 11:47:39 AM »

Well, Etro was the one that saved the main cast at the end of XIII from their Crystal Stasis. Now I assume that Bhunivelze probably helped Cid, who knows though.

All the retcons and/or expansions to the narrative have been handled pretty decently so far.

---

from Lightning Returns News (Tumblr):

Famitsu cover featuring Lightning.

Lightning's new CG render was supervised by Tetsuya Nomura.*

Low quality page featuring: Lightning / Bhunivelze / Cid
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:59:56 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: November 13, 2013, 01:04:12 PM »

It got a 37/40 from Famitsu, if anyone particularly cares about their reviews anymore.

. . .Anyone?
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: November 13, 2013, 01:08:37 PM »

It got a 37/40 from Famitsu, if anyone particularly cares about their reviews anymore.

. . .Anyone?

Would be nice if someone would translate the reviews for once instead of focusing on the numbers that don't mean much of anything.

Just saying.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: November 13, 2013, 01:11:48 PM »

. . .Anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famitsu
Naw, their considerations for what's "amazing" is questionable sometimes.  Not that they aren't entitled to their opinion, their just doesn't jive with mine.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: November 13, 2013, 01:16:46 PM »

Would be nice if someone would translate the reviews for once instead of focusing on the numbers that don't mean much of anything.

Just saying.

I don't have a copy or I would.  But I'll do some copy-pasting from around the Internet

According to the reviewers, the battles in Lightning Returns are interesting and the feel for speed is great. They are “extremely entertaining,” but if the player fails to pay attention to an enemy’s weakness even trash mobs can prove difficult. As a result, it’s important to make split section decisions during battle. Even on Easy mode, Lightning Returns can be surprisingly difficult. The time constraints don’t appear to factor into that difficulty too much though, and didn’t stress the reviewers out much at all.

It’s not all about the battles, though. Clearing quests is obviously the goal here and the amount of freedom given to the player is so high it’s easy to get lost in it. Hints for each quest are actually fairly scarce and as a result, it might take casual users a bit to get used to. Players can become absorbed in trying to complete a large number of quests, as well as customizing and strengthening Lightning. The level of uniqueness you can achieve with her appearance and ability setups is said to be “entertaining and stunning”. The reviewer also states that the game is quite beautiful.

www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89626842
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: November 13, 2013, 01:58:26 PM »

Just saying.

Famitsu doesn't post their reviews online.  Yes, they are still hawking print media this day and age...

Besides which, a full translation would be a copyright violation.  You could do a summary, of course, but you would still need somebody with access to the actual magazine (meaning, in Japan) with the language skills and interest to do that.  Which is why you don't usually see it done.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: November 13, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »

^I didn't know about the copyright violation. Thanks for the info.

@Cyril: Sounds good. I really want to get a feel of the battle system for myself and customize Lightning.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #463 on: November 13, 2013, 02:38:30 PM »

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl100.html
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: November 13, 2013, 04:33:17 PM »

Famitsu's 20-page Lightning Returns report contains heavy spoilers -- Source: Nova Crystallis
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: