Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:16:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330162 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 56 Print
Author Topic: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days  (Read 59986 times)
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: November 13, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »

The level of uniqueness you can achieve with her appearance and ability setups is said to be “entertaining and stunning”. The reviewer also states that the game is quite beautiful.[/i]
www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89626842

Call me shallow because well.... I am... but that aside, this particular fact is what entices me so. The character of Lightning, in and of herself, is the most attractive quality of the XIII universe to me (even if she clearly is just a female Cloud Strife). Getting some creative control of her appearance and development is going to really lend to the "fun factor" for me.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: November 13, 2013, 05:12:08 PM »

I'm dead. xD

The level of uniqueness you can achieve with her appearance and ability setups is said to be “entertaining and stunning”. The reviewer also states that the game is quite beautiful.[/i]
www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89626842

Call me shallow because well.... I am... but that aside, this particular fact is what entices me so. The character of Lightning, in and of herself, is the most attractive quality of the XIII universe to me (even if she clearly is just a female Cloud Strife). Getting some creative control of her appearance and development is going to really lend to the "fun factor" for me.

Her face is pretty; her hair troubles me.  It strikes me as something that works on her and only her.  I get gripes with the "unrealistic realism" SquareEnix pulls sometimes. I mean, an option in FF14's character creator is if you want larger iris' for goodness sake.  I don't doubt that 'big eyes' are supposed to be 'attractive'; but sometimes they look a little too perfect for me sometimes.  I don't doubt they're really appealing and unique though.  But whenever I look at HD CGI models I always feel like I have to 'negotiate' what I'm looking at:  Usually it's a strange hybrid of anime, realism, and fantasy caught upin a 'Eurasian'-looking person.

I actually really like Lumina's design -- mostly for her nose.  It's a bit 'fatter' and rounder at the tip.  It's a small detail, but most of the FF characters seem to go for the long, straight nose than introduce much other variety to them unless it's by virtue of their age and they get some wrinkles or whatever else.

The designs are nevertheless appealing and unique.  Sure, maybe the point of "fantasy" is to do things you can't do in real life.... BUT FUCK SEYMOURS HAIRDO, it's dumb, impossible, and silly no matter what fantasy is preaching. >:(

I'm looking at this way too much; but I suppose it's my "job" as an "arsty" person. *shrug*

CARRY ON NOW.

I want this game, slowly.  I actually wonder if making comparisons to Majora's Mask is in any way proper by this point....  It still seems like it, and I wouldn't call that a bad thing.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: November 13, 2013, 06:04:32 PM »

*Blah blah*

CARRY ON NOW.

So many pet peeves.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: November 13, 2013, 06:09:31 PM »

*Blah blah*

CARRY ON NOW.

So many pet peeves.

Oh boo-hoo.  You've analyzed the plot of FF13 and enjoyed it more than theologians look at the Bible..  I gave my reasons because I enjoy talking about 'visuals' (in general) and I enjoy analyzing these things because I feel I have an eye for it.  I hardly expect responses back, nor do I expect many to care the same way I do, but I discuss it because I'm interested in it and I'd rather get discussion back than someone scoring an extra post because he's not impressed,

I made my claim and still said I liked it in the end, so what's your beef?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:13:37 PM by Dice » Logged

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: November 13, 2013, 06:13:53 PM »

I rather enjoyed your post, Dice.  It's not something I had really thought about before, but I found your perspective interesting.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: November 13, 2013, 06:23:09 PM »

The only place I've noticed the anime/realism hybrid look a bit odd is with FF15. I find 13< to be more far enough on the "JRPG" side aesthetic wise that it doesn't seem out of place. But with FF15... I can't even point out what I don't like about it, it just seems like it would be weird to control character models that look so real by dashing about hither and tither.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: November 13, 2013, 06:25:02 PM »

I honestly think it's the "Eurasian" part that is what bugs me when it comes to the "unrealistic realism."  I mean, I get the game is from Japan, but when you look at the characters, particularly Serah, the Asian part is emphasized. It's quite off-putting for me and tends to push it into uncanny valley.  I think Lightning works because she has less of that look to her. Which of course makes Serah's more Asian appearance even sillier, given they're sisters.

This wasn't a problem in XI or XII, only X and XIII.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:38:39 PM by Cyril » Logged
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: November 13, 2013, 07:46:32 PM »

The designs are nevertheless appealing and unique.  Sure, maybe the point of "fantasy" is to do things you can't do in real life.... BUT FUCK SEYMOURS HAIRDO, it's dumb, impossible, and silly no matter what fantasy is preaching. >:(

I'm looking at this way too much; but I suppose it's my "job" as an "arsty" person. *shrug*

Completely agree on seymour. There is no element of realism nor aesthetic to that hair. In fact, in spite of the praise for being so "perty", I found most X's designs and characters to be less inspiring than other games in the franchise.

And the path to becoming a better artist IMO is most certainly interwoven with being critical of art and visuals. I don't think artists can "look to much" or be "too picky".

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: November 13, 2013, 08:33:45 PM »

Oh boo-hoo.  You've analyzed the plot of FF13 and enjoyed it more than theologians look at the Bible..

...? I haven't. At best I made sense out of it with the material shared online, playing the game and reading the datalogs, if that makes an horrible person then... okay? I don't know.

I gave my reasons because I enjoy talking about 'visuals' (in general) and I enjoy analyzing these things because I feel I have an eye for it.  I hardly expect responses back, nor do I expect many to care the same way I do, but I discuss it because I'm interested in it and I'd rather get discussion back than someone scoring an extra post because he's not impressed,

I made my claim and still said I liked it in the end, so what's your beef?

You got worked up over nothing, Dice. My last post wasn't even meant to piss you off.

/real talk

The only place I've noticed the anime/realism hybrid look a bit odd is with FF15. I find 13< to be more far enough on the "JRPG" side aesthetic wise that it doesn't seem out of place. But with FF15... I can't even point out what I don't like about it, it just seems like it would be weird to control character models that look so real by dashing about hither and tither.

Maybe it has to do something with the art direction going for a more contemporary look instead of pure fantasy?
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: November 13, 2013, 08:52:12 PM »

You got worked up over nothing, Dice. My last post wasn't even meant to piss you off.

/real talk

Really?  You changing my post to "blah blah" and calling me out on too many "pet peeves" had no smart-ass intent?  ERR ok.  Maybe next time explain yourself less obnoxiously or at least finish with something else, even if it's as stupid as "LOL JKJK" because I'll respond better to that.

Completely agree on seymour. There is no element of realism nor aesthetic to that hair. In fact, in spite of the praise for being so "perty", I found most X's designs and characters to be less inspiring than other games in the franchise.

And the path to becoming a better artist IMO is most certainly interwoven with being critical of art and visuals. I don't think artists can "look to much" or be "too picky".

I kind of diasgree -- but only on certain character.  I think Tidus' yellow open sweater and black overalls are pretty gross.  Mario is just barely keeping overalls fashionable. 

Actually, you're making me think now...  I like Yuna's design (maybe not her rain boots), Kimahri's is different, and Lulu's is cool (till belts became the single most popular motif in "Nomura's Fashion Boutique" and everyone wore them everywhere).  Hmm.  Point to you Klyde.  I think I agree.

And Klutz:  I like how you give FF13 a sort of "free pass" because you see it more in the realm of fantasy.  I kind of like that 'otherside' perspective and way of looking at it.

But even with that, I don't know... I find this stuff is fun to discuss. So thanks to the last few posters for indulging me. :D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:05:24 PM by Dice » Logged

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: November 13, 2013, 09:01:48 PM »

I enjoyed Dice's post so much I'm going to start up FF13 right now and play it.

(after I was the dishes)
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: November 13, 2013, 09:25:43 PM »

(after I was the dishes)

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: November 13, 2013, 09:47:32 PM »

(after I was the dishes)

omg, I need this to be real after YEARS of our (rather tacky but talented) local jeweler having those but with either Christ, the Virgin, Elvis Presley, or Queen Elizabeth II on them... This changes everything

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: November 15, 2013, 11:52:12 PM »

TV CM -- Source: Square Enix Channel, YouTube

Article(s): 4Gamer (JP) / Nova Crystallis
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: November 16, 2013, 12:10:30 AM »

(after I was the dishes)

omg, I need this to be real after YEARS of our (rather tacky but talented) local jeweler having those but with either Christ, the Virgin, Elvis Presley, or Queen Elizabeth II on them... This changes everything

You girl, have a serious case of the "nerd". I <3 you.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: