Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:06:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330159 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 56 Print
Author Topic: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days  (Read 59964 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #525 on: December 02, 2013, 12:05:38 AM »

FWIW I thought XIII-2 was a great RPG, better than XIII in pretty much every way possible.

Admittedly, FFXIII-1 was not exactly a high bar to clear.

Also, where can I find a quick and dirty synopsis of the plot? SA has been complete bullshit for lurkers these past 2 months (not like this is new) and I don't think I going to continue bothering to follow their LPs anymore (it's murder on my productivity to force myself to rush, rush, rush for a solid month on picking up and following whatever I was following prior to the pay-wall going up in addition to anything new that might have cropped up and looks interesting, only to grind to a screeching halt for the next two months when the pay-wall inevitably goes back up; besides they've run out of Fire Emblem games to LP), and GameFAQs is a goddamn cesspool.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 02, 2013, 12:38:27 AM »

I saw the big ending spoiler on Neogaf, and I hit TVtropes for random spoilers across the game.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #527 on: December 02, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »

You know, I'm impressed.

Last few days I've been thinking that with the kind of attitude people take with this series online I can't never really talk about what's on my mind and I have to be careful with what I say given to the vocal group of people/RPG Fans/FF Fans that has practically been grumpy about the series for 6 years already (the XIII series I mean).

And how I was saying before I'm impressed after seeing for a few years people being so dense over this, seriously. I get where all the emotions come from but sometimes I don't know what to think or if I should even care.

That said, is great seeing that there's some positive opinons going around among all the noise as well as some interesting comments being posted on other sites.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: December 02, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »

FWIW I thought XIII-2 was a great RPG, better than XIII in pretty much every way possible.

Admittedly, FFXIII-1 was not exactly a high bar to clear.

Also, where can I find a quick and dirty synopsis of the plot? SA has been complete bullshit for lurkers these past 2 months (not like this is new) and I don't think I going to continue bothering to follow their LPs anymore (it's murder on my productivity to force myself to rush, rush, rush for a solid month on picking up and following whatever I was following prior to the pay-wall going up in addition to anything new that might have cropped up and looks interesting, only to grind to a screeching halt for the next two months when the pay-wall inevitably goes back up; besides they've run out of Fire Emblem games to LP), and GameFAQs is a goddamn cesspool.

Its not quick and dirty, but if you really want a thorough "feel" of the game whilst digesting the plot I highly suggest checking out the 8 hour "movies" on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yxMcuzOgVrU

That is the XIII-1 movie.

I was really turned off by the length but it is proving the best refresh-course I've stumbled across.

Now if your still looking for "quick and dirty" for XIII-1, this thread I came across does a pretty good job...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.408152-Could-some-one-explain-Final-Fantasy-XIII-plot-to-me

Now if I misread you, and you were inquiring about a XIII-2 synopsis, the youtube advice still applies. I myself will be taking the plunge and actually giving it a playthrough I think. While there is other games on my plate I'm more excited about, I have a funny feeling I may really be pleasantly surprised and enjoy it.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #529 on: December 02, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »

You know, I'm impressed.

Last few days I've been thinking that with the kind of attitude people take with this series online I can't never really talk about what's on my mind and I have to be careful with what I say given to the vocal group of people/RPG Fans/FF Fans that has practically been grumpy about the series for 6 years already (the XIII series I mean).

And how I was saying before I'm impressed after seeing for a few years people being so dense over this, seriously. I get where all the emotions come from but sometimes I don't know what to think or if I should even care.

That said, is great seeing that there's some positive opinons going around among all the noise as well as some interesting comments being posted on other sites.

I don't think it helps much to get caught up in the negativity soaring around the message-boards/interwebs when it comes to these things. As long as you are having a good time with the games, who cares what anyone else thinks? Probably easier said than done, but still... I would hope you would feel free to discuss your enjoyment without fearing people jumping down your throat about it. :/

Thought there are lots of very loud people complaining about the FFXIII-saga in particular, there are plenty of people who really enjoy them as well. Personally, I had a lot of fun with FFXIII-2, enough to collect all the fragments. I even liked the ending and found mog to be absolutely adorable (unlike many other people it seems). I loved the monster-collecting aspect, and am kinda bummed it's not returning for the last one. Customizable names, and pink flowers on everyones heads brought me more amusement than it hade any right to.

Looking forward to playing dress-up and fine-tuning the colours to my own taste. Story seems a bit silly, but should be cheesy enough to be fun, hopefully.

I still haven't made up my mind about the moogle-tastic costume. I know I'm supposed to hate it, but there is something so gauche about it I kind of find charming. Yes, I know, I'm part of the problem... :P
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 02, 2013, 07:01:54 PM »

Probably because there's an underlying tone that we shouldn't be so critical of the games in many of these posts of yours!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #531 on: December 02, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »

I don't think it helps much to get caught up in the negativity soaring around the message-boards/interwebs when it comes to these things. As long as you are having a good time with the games, who cares what anyone else thinks? Probably easier said than done, but still... I would hope you would feel free to discuss your enjoyment without fearing people jumping down your throat about it. :/

I appreciate your understanding man. However, I already give up to talk too much about the series because "is bad to enjoy this sort of thing in public", you know, just like X-2 back in the day or VIII at one point.

Probably because there's an underlying tone that we shouldn't be so critical of the games in many of these posts of yours!

As I've seen it nobody can say anything about this series without making things personal. And I doubt that's gonna change for XV (I would love to be wrong though).
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: December 02, 2013, 10:21:23 PM »

It does get a bit annoying when people are just trying to discuss something and someone randomly comes in and spouts "it's shit" or "that game's crap," though.  Sometimes it's just really hard to have discussions about this series.

Edit: And to be clear, I'm not really referring to this site. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:23:01 PM by Cyril » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #533 on: December 02, 2013, 11:57:48 PM »

As I've seen it nobody can say anything about this series without making things personal.

Pot.  Kettle.  Black.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: December 03, 2013, 01:33:06 AM »

As I've seen it nobody can say anything about this series without making things personal.

Pot.  Kettle.  Black.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 03, 2013, 03:09:19 AM »

As I've seen it nobody can say anything about this series without making things personal. And I doubt that's gonna change for XV (I would love to be wrong though).

There's a certain kind of defensive attitude towards FFXIII I swear I picked up on your posts though that goes beyond "well I loved it" and I'm generally one of those who'll defend the games themselves to an extent even if I won't defend the stories. The way Lightning Returns ends is the kind of weird thing I can like actually... but usually in shorter (maybe) works that are generally better executed all around.

Ah well, it's hearing of terrible monotonous quests that's killing this for me more than that, I always knew the story would be a trainwreck that's morbidly fascinating to watch, but unless the gameplay opinions are outliers then it's definitely one to wait on. Hell, it's timing is enough reason to wait, it's kind of a packed period.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:48:16 AM by Eusis » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: December 03, 2013, 12:10:08 PM »

@Kevadu: Being as obtuse as I am sometimes in my post it doesn't surprise me seeing this kind of thing.

There's a certain kind of defensive attitude towards FFXIII I swear I picked up on your posts though that goes beyond "well I loved it" and I'm generally one of those who'll defend the games themselves to an extent even if I won't defend the stories.

You really can't say much if you enjoyed the series without saying it was shit at least a couple of times for people to accept your point of view.

Like anyone I have my issues with the games but I'm one of those that don't focus my energy on that, I already got enough negativity in my personal life to latch onto that same negativity like my life depended on it. Probably that's were the "well I loved it" attitude comes for you and other people in other posts.

That said I think I'll stop posting here altogether because I feel that whatever I say is gonna keep being misinterpreted. It was good knowing ya everybody. :T

#nohardfeelings
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #537 on: December 03, 2013, 01:06:37 PM »

Yeah, that's not making things personal at all...

OK, to be less flippant: Yggdrasil, it's OK if you like these games.  Seriously, I don't mind.  I don't think anyone here minds.  I don't like the FFXIII games myself, but it's perfectly OK to have different opinions about things.  I have liked plenty of things that aren't exactly popular.

The only thing I have a problem with is how you apparently feel the need to jump down the throat of anyone who says anything even kinda sorta negative about these games.  This thread is filled with examples of you doing that.  Frankly, it's kind of bizarre.  If you were responding to the criticisms raised that would be fine but most of the time you're not even saying anything new.  We already know how you feel, so why do you have to respond to every single criticism with the exact same thing?  What's the point?  It didn't change people's minds the first dozen times, so what is it going to do now?

bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #538 on: December 06, 2013, 11:34:04 PM »

This battles still going on? Damn, I don't even visit this forum that often.............

Also, Final Fantasy fans arguing over the series is not new. I think FF7 vs FF8 started that. (I prefer FF6 but hey, I'm weird or so they tell me)

Also, Lighting is hawt and badass so my small male mind love her. Herp Derp. Besides that, I really love the combat systems of the FF13 games. Sue me.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #539 on: December 09, 2013, 12:51:13 AM »

Okay I said I would leave but I sort of have to reply to this to do, so...

The only thing I have a problem with is how you apparently feel the need to jump down the throat of anyone who says anything even kinda sorta negative about these games.  This thread is filled with examples of you doing that.  Frankly, it's kind of bizarre.  If you were responding to the criticisms raised that would be fine but most of the time you're not even saying anything new.  We already know how you feel, so why do you have to respond to every single criticism with the exact same thing?  What's the point?  It didn't change people's minds the first dozen times, so what is it going to do now?

Whatever I say is gonna come off in the wrong way so I'll just say that 'it doesn't matter'. I was never here to strangle throats or whatever, it just doesn't matter anymore.

Also I barely give much away for you guys to even know me in all this time and "the feelings" you think I have over XIII are most likely the wrong idea with how obtuse my messages were. That said I certainly don't care so why should you.

Alright, now I can go. Bye mofos!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: