Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 08:27:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334704 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 56 Print
Author Topic: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days  (Read 64677 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #645 on: January 23, 2014, 03:34:21 PM »

The problem isn't that it's an FF game, it's that it's trying to be new while holding onto the FF feel. Slows it down dramatically. It's obviously trying to be different, so why try so hard to be the same?

Different? I see it more like a change of pace within the XIII series if anything else.

I thought that XIII-1 was tied down by the FF name and would have done better without it. The FF name brings with it some brand notice but also some unreasonable expectations from the fans.

Yeah, I've seen people saying before that if XIII didn't had any kind of ties to FF it would be a very well liked game. But as it is the series has its followers and detractors just like any other FF, and I don't expect things changing much in this aspect with XV in the future (even though everybody goes bananas once a new trailer is released).
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #646 on: January 23, 2014, 04:10:28 PM »

The fact that you are free to move and act at all times is huge. The downside is you're limited (so far) to lightning's sexy strut of a walk speed unless you are attacking an enemy, and there's no jump (that I have found yet) for aerial combat. It ends up feeling like I'm still playing ffxiii, except now I can press sqaure to block an attack and I can move lightning around to better gawk at her fabulous outfits.

TASTY!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #647 on: January 23, 2014, 04:20:06 PM »

Well if I'm to take the combat trailer at face value Snow's now evil and I get to kill him.

That's at least a plus for XIII-3 so far.

Rather sudden, a bit strange, but I'll take it. >.>
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #648 on: January 23, 2014, 04:22:43 PM »

Rather sudden

Lightning Returns takes place 500 years after FFXIII-2.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #649 on: January 23, 2014, 04:36:53 PM »

Well if I'm to take the combat trailer at face value Snow's now evil and I get to kill him.

Hmm, I would love to say something about this but spoilers and all that you know.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #650 on: January 23, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »

Hmm, I would love to say something about this but spoilers and all that you know.

Oh don't worry. I'm quite sure it's nothing of the sort so my expectations aren't set. XD

I fully expect there to be some Shonen BS/Brainwashing-Mist/We-hate-Shinji-now excuse behind it and everyone skips off with rainbows and holding hands in the end because, Japan. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised though.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:42:04 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #651 on: January 23, 2014, 04:53:19 PM »

@ZeronHitaro:

lol

I don't know much of the ending myself aside of a few details and screenshots of it. I've liked what I have seen randomly posted but going through the whole game and seeing the ending is a different experience altogether.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #652 on: January 23, 2014, 05:34:54 PM »

Having recently beat FFXIII-2 on my days off while I was sick, I'm really looking forward to playing LR. In someways, it reminds me of a Tales game, which is good.

Anyone notice that the combat from the Lightning DLC from XIII-2 seems somewhat similar to LR (minus the free movement/button combo) setup?

Though I've yet to uncover the 'true' ending for XIII-2 (hopefully by the end of the weekend), I was pleasantly surprised by what happened at the end of the main story line.

I'm really glad I had the chance to complete XIII-2 before jumping headlong into this one.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #653 on: January 23, 2014, 06:29:39 PM »

I kinda think the battle system is a more refined version of the one from Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army.  I enjoyed it in the demo.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #654 on: January 23, 2014, 06:59:48 PM »

I'm really glad I had the chance to complete XIII-2 before jumping headlong into this one.

So bummed I couldn't finish XIII-2 due to the extraordinary motion sickness it caused me. I was really looking forward to LR.

I have literally been somewhat down since tuesday when the demo arrived...

I've put in healthy sessions with various games of different genre's just to test it and have confirmed XIII-2 is the ONLY game that does this to me.

Its silly it bothers me considering the vast amount of other games I have to get to and how much I am enjoying Tales of Vesperia at the moment. I feel like a whiny little girl over the whole thing to be honest.

In any event, thats enough of that. I am happy hear a (somewhat) positive response to the demo. Whether I can play (without puking) or not, I still want to see Lightning do well... *sniffle sniffle*

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #655 on: January 23, 2014, 07:39:46 PM »

I didn't have too many issues in that regard.  And bear in mind, I couldn't play Skies of Arcadia because the herky-jerky camera made me seasick and the flashy strobe effects made my eyes go funny and my head feel buzzy.  Paladin's Quest for SNES was another one that caused me physical pain to play.  That color scheme was eyestrain for me.  Too bad, because that game seemed good. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #656 on: January 23, 2014, 08:30:52 PM »

The camera seems pretty stiff in Lightning Returns.

That said, I'm resilient to camera motion in most third-person games, but fast-paced, flashy first-person games, or first person games with too high of FPS (I actually have to limit my Morrowind FPS to about 40 or I'll throw up) make me incredibly ill.  I might not be the best person to compare to.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #657 on: January 28, 2014, 08:40:19 PM »

Super Smash Bros. Director (Masahiro Sakurai) Praises Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Battle System -- Square Portal
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #658 on: January 28, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »

Just finished up the demo. The battle system really isn't THAT different from the others. Changing costumes and jobs is very similar to the paradigm shifting. I do like having a guard option now though while you wait for bars to fill. Always felt I should be able to shield myself while I wait on the battle system. I'm a little disappointed that the battle system isn't as real time as I thought it would be. They kept saying how you can move Lightning around in battle this time, but only barely. It's not like Tales or Star Ocean in that regard. I thought the demo was pretty fun though, even if everything going on made absolutely zero sense (this coming from someone who beat the prior two games).

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #659 on: January 28, 2014, 10:25:10 PM »

played the demo, just felt that they wanted to make it more actiony but didn't want to go too far. Unless there's enemies or bosses later that telegraph their attacks and you can actually dodge them or environment hazards, the sorta free moving thing doesn't actually change all that much besides letting you guard between turns now. Hopefully the combat'll get more interesting, the costumes and stuff are awesome but dunno if I want this day 1.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: