Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 12:58:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330203 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 56 Print
Author Topic: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days  (Read 60135 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #675 on: January 30, 2014, 08:44:03 PM »

I actually agree with you. I was expecting this to be more Zelda-y, but it is definitely not. It feels very similar to the others, which I thought they were going to try to do something at least different to reclaim the audience they feel they lost.
So, apparently, a bunch of us thought the same thing! I thought it was going to be an action/rpg with full control over Lightning. I might have actually enjoyed that. The way it is just isn't my thing anymore.
For the record, I've only ever played 4 hours of FFXIII. I was really turned off by the terrible writing/story, and weird battle system. I've never played anything else FFXIII since then.

The beginning is easily the worst part of the game. It takes like 15 hours (if I remember correctly) for the game to completely open up with everything you can do. It keeps the training wheels on for WAY too long. The story is also incredibly awkward at the beginning until they give you a thousand flashbacks giving explanation and context.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #676 on: January 30, 2014, 08:57:37 PM »

Games gotta stop with the hand-holding or make it optional.

I wish when they asked you your age on the 3DS or PS3 or whatever, it gets that you're an adult and probably don't need to be told (like in Ni no Kuni's case) HOW TO USE THE JOYSTICK TO MOVE.  Good gravy!

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #677 on: January 30, 2014, 09:10:04 PM »

I was actually dreading the combat in LR and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't full-action DMC hack n' slash style. Not that I don't like that style, just that I'm not very good at it.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #678 on: January 30, 2014, 09:42:14 PM »

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by the combat, too.  It's a lot more fun than I was expecting.  They did a good job of altering the old XIII combat system into something new.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #679 on: January 30, 2014, 11:23:04 PM »

I thought it was going to be an action/rpg with full control over Lightning. I might have actually enjoyed that.

That trailer only showed one of the iterations of XIII when it was in development.
FallenGrace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #680 on: January 31, 2014, 10:09:43 AM »

Combat has never been an issue in the XIII series to me, it was the horrible emo characters and coonvoluted nonsense plot. XIII-2 was better as I found Noel and Serah better. I enjoyed the lightning returns demo, the mixed up combat system (same yet different) suits me fine.

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #681 on: January 31, 2014, 11:53:11 AM »

I played the demo twice, yesterday, but I have a few questions (sorry if this sounds stupid): Can you only find basic items from the people in the Outerworld (I only find X-Potions, and weapons that I already have; Is it random?). I can't improve my score against Zaltys (which is 38 seconds, and I see people defeating him in about 13-16 seconds, so... I'm obviously not using the same equipment as they are).

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #682 on: January 31, 2014, 04:30:28 PM »

Combat has never been an issue in the XIII series to me, it was the horrible emo characters and coonvoluted nonsense plot.

I know that some people might get sorta touchy around here by me saying this, but Vivi in IX is truly much more of a "emo" character than anyone in XIII. The difference is how the characters are portrayed that makes their struggles endearing or relatable to the player (which is kind of a subjective thing but not entirely).

Regarding the 'convoluted nonsense plot' argument is that it's the mythos and terminologies that get most people salty at first, the story itself isn't a big deal to understand even if you most likely are gonna miss a lot of details in your first playthrough.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:26:42 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #683 on: January 31, 2014, 05:27:04 PM »

I agree with Yggdrasil, actually.

The entire cast of FFVI is just as "emo" as XIII's cast.  If VI was voice acted and created in more modern graphics it would come through a lot more.  Hence why people reacted to Terra the way they did in Dissidia, but in reality she's quite faithful to her character.

There are complaints you can make about XIII when comparing it to the rest of the series, but really "emo" characters is not one of them.  It's a Final Fantasy staple.
FallenGrace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #684 on: February 01, 2014, 11:47:19 AM »

There are complaints you can make about XIII when comparing it to the rest of the series, but really "emo" characters is not one of them.  It's a Final Fantasy staple.
I'm aware the topic diverged a little from my original point but going to put my two pennies in anyway :p

I wasn't comparing to the other games in the series, just on it's own merits. Never been a fan of "these games are worse which makes this game better arguements". I feel every game should be judged on it's own positive and negative qualities and the characters in FFXIII were whiny emo and intolerable imo :)

As for what you guys said regarding the other games, you're most likely right but I feel the medium of text makes it far easier to swallow characters i'm less keen on than since when voice acting has been introduced.

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #685 on: February 01, 2014, 05:06:31 PM »

I feel like if a player wanted to avoid whiney, emo and non-sensical they'd best dodge the latter half of all the Final Fantasy games altogether. That is one poor horse that can't stand to take another beating if you ask me.

I found the characters and plot of the XIII franchise far less accessible than other legs of the Final Fantasy universe, but by no means bad. It just took a little more work and focus to care... Well except in Hope and Fang's cases.... I hated those 2 for some reason..... Ok I guess I hated Snow a wee bit more then most as well. BUT that is not my point.

For me, speaking on XIII, the deal-breaker comes down to setting, environments and the moods they convey to me as a gamer. My big problem is I simply don't detect any "fantasy flavor" in XIII. I do however detect a great Sci-Fi CGI, movie-like, gaming experience with some RPG elements thrown in the mix.

Last thing I would like to say....

As for what you guys said regarding the other games, you're most likely right but I feel the medium of text makes it far easier to swallow characters i'm less keen on than since when voice acting has been introduced.

I completely agree with that 100%. Voice acting in and of itself diminishes my ability to get involved with characters and "connect" the way I did with older titles. Pinning a more concise personality to a character is not always a good thing in RPG's if you ask me.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #686 on: February 05, 2014, 10:40:26 AM »

Lara Croft costume in Lightning Return
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIAW4HBPicY

This is why I can't take this game seriously.
Fanservice isn't bad... but most fanservice games don't take themselves too seriously either usually.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #687 on: February 05, 2014, 10:55:35 AM »

Lara Croft costume in Lightning Return
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIAW4HBPicY

This is why I can't take this game seriously.
Fanservice isn't bad... but most fanservice games don't take themselves too seriously either usually.

haha complete with dirt

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #688 on: February 05, 2014, 10:57:29 AM »

haha complete with dirt

Didn't they show that you can customize costumes (like colors) ?
I wonder if you can make that dirt white.

*whistles innocently*
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #689 on: February 05, 2014, 10:59:30 AM »

haha complete with dirt

Didn't they show that you can customize costumes (like colors) ?
I wonder if you can make that dirt white.

*whistles innocently*

That's awful!  Why would you cover her in flour!?  ....what a waste.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: