Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:46:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334816 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 56 Print
Author Topic: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days  (Read 65247 times)
anonypc

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #735 on: February 15, 2014, 07:34:41 PM »

So far I'm glad I trusted rpgfan's review, it is an appropriate score IMO.

There are definitely some annoyances, but it far undermines the actual enjoyable experience.

Yes the story does not make sense, either that or it does make sense but it's just way too hard for me to understand.  With that said, it's not like it's poorly told.  The story is all over the place, but in terms of presentation I don't see it poorly done at all.  Plus I read a lot of reviews saying that the NPCs, etc. have poorly drawn faces and models, etc.  I did not have that feeling at all and even at times I thought the designs were actually very well done.  The music is pretty good too, not spectacular or anything but so far pretty good.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #736 on: February 16, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »

So I felt like I was wasting too much time and started over, but now I have an odd problem. Where the first time I had no problem receiving the quest from Gem the cat, this time the cat is there but the game won't let me interact with it. Anyone know what the problem might be. Made sure the area was clear of enemies and my sword was away.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #737 on: February 16, 2014, 11:26:59 AM »

Silly question; were you talking to her at night? I think she's a daytime only thing.

Highly debating restarting my file in an easier mode. I abhor this combat system. It's too damn picky with timings. It's far more efficient to just hold down guard 5 minutes in advance because getting a 'perfect guard' happens less than half of the time. So taking 50% damage all the time is better than talking 0-10% on a blue moon and 100% all the rest. Doesn't feel rewarding at all. In an easier mode I might be tempted to take more risks but so far all this feels like is "Hold attack, switch when out of AP, hold guard when enemy vibrates or text box appears, repeat until it dies. Thought that
Code:
Noel
might post the first fight where I couldn't do that after he kicked my rear hard the first time. But after I actually bothered to go into the fight with more than a single Phoenix Down and Veil they croaked most efficiently under the same tactic.

And whoever decided to script that 'Find the Numbers' quest needs to be shot in the ballocks. Did manage to do it just in time but the way the side quests give you like...virtually zero information just says management told them to be lazy in order to sell guides. Probably just going to GameFAQ run this thing. :-\

On the flip side of things...I think the X-2 Yuna outfit is almost worth the price. Only because there's a moment or two of dissonant humor that just made us laugh when Lightning speaks some of the outfit-specific quotes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:30:34 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #738 on: February 16, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »

I don't think I could disagree with you more, Zeron.  Yes, that quest is a pain in the ass, (the main issue being that I found two of them and didn't realize that the third wasn't available until I certain time) but it makes me incredibly happy that a modern RPG isn't holding my hand every step of the way. I don't want quest markers.  I hate them.  If they're there, make them removable like in Bravely Default.

Klutz, don't worry about time.  I finished the 5 main quests by day 8, as well as most of the side quests. I'm just running around making things extinct and finishing off the harder Canvas quests now.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #739 on: February 16, 2014, 07:50:45 PM »

There are mediums between 'hand holding' and 'too lazy to bother'. LR falling on the south end of that scale (with a rare exception I will mention further down) and 'doesn't hold your hand' really isn't an excuse for a poorly designed questing system; I think.

An example of a correction

-When you first get the quest a passing NPC could mention they saw something 'in the north end of town'. This narrows down the search field without specifically guiding you to the spot.

-Upon reaching the northern section of town you can program a few NPCs, if the player takes the time to talk to them, to mention they saw something in X district. Narrowing it down even further and rewarding you for going out of your way to interact with the environment.

Altogether this still forces you to investigate without pointing you to the exact spot, but doesn't leave you feeling like you just got chucked into a dark room with zero guidance.

As is

-NPCs who have information are either humping the location to where you see it anyway by that point (literally, as this game has major buggy clipping issues both in and out of cutscenes; like PC version Bethesda bad).

-Since you're forced to literally go through and talk to every single person and search every single pixel like it's the Point and Click era; sometimes you'll find the person that just gives it to you for 'free' (both literally and for 2000 gil).

You don't get much more 'handholding' then "Oh, you talked to me. Here is the exact answer. Here's exactly where I found it so you don't have to bother going there again. No charge."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 07:53:50 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #740 on: February 16, 2014, 10:20:37 PM »

I'm either really bad at this game, or the official guide is pants-on-head retarded. The thing suggests the first thing you do on Day 2 is take on the Chocobo Eater in mission 3-1. I neglected to do this, and instead collected the numbers I needed (except The Warren, nothing like telling you to collect the numbers before dark, and then making that literally impossible) Did a few other side quests in Luxerion for stats, then decided to explore the Wildlands. I've tried that damn Chocobo Eater multiple times and have yet to succeed.

It's hilarious, because the guide refers you to the battle strategies in the bestiary, which mention 3 or 4 abilities that you wouldn't actually have if you followed the guide. Stupidest guide ever.

UPDATE: Apparently I'm still adjusting to this new battle system, as I was finally able to beat that Chocobo Eater without doing anything new (I could have done other stuff, I just figured I was there and I'd give it one more try.

The problem with the battle system is it's very deceptive. It's presented in a similar style as the faster-paced battles of the XIII and XIII-2, but the battles here require a lot more patience and precision than the previous games. I love the challenge now that I understand it's nature a bit more, though I still think HP management is a pain in the arse.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:38:30 PM by Klutz64 » Logged
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #741 on: February 17, 2014, 12:35:19 PM »

Logged about 21 hours since Friday, and have completed 2 of the main story line quests, and a boat load of side quests.

Overall it is a positive experience, I like how you can go anywhere, but I tend to stick around to complete the area I'm in before moving on. That being said, it does provide a lot of freedom in the order in which you would like to do things. I enjoyed 13/13-2, and I think so far this might be my favourite of the three.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #742 on: February 17, 2014, 02:10:29 PM »

Hope you like Lightning by the way. We're probably not rid of her yet.

Linking the Escapist article over the Sil article just because that one's easier to read.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:14:03 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #743 on: February 17, 2014, 02:20:30 PM »

Hope you like Lightning by the way. We're probably not rid of her yet.

Linking the Escapist article over the Sil article just because that one's easier to read.
This doesn't deserve to be noted as news. SE has been cashing in on old FF characters for years. Cloud in FFTactics, every main character in dissidia, kingdom hearts cameos, that old psx fighting game...the list goes on. Lightning is a pink haired cloud, so of course she's gonna be abused for the next 15 years.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #744 on: February 17, 2014, 03:31:13 PM »

Of the main female characters I've always liked Fang and Serah better personally, but I don't have any problem to see more of Lightning in Kingdom Hearts III or Dissidia for example.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #745 on: February 17, 2014, 03:43:39 PM »

I really like Lumina's VA. I know she has that obnoxious valley girl inflection, but she totally commits to it and her delivery is spot on.
FallenGrace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #746 on: February 19, 2014, 08:08:07 AM »

Of the main female characters I've always liked Fang and Serah better personally, but I don't have any problem to see more of Lightning in Kingdom Hearts III or Dissidia for example.
Agreed, in those sort of games she is perfect for, just no need for any more FFXIII spin offs....

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #747 on: February 19, 2014, 11:02:53 AM »

One of the staples of the FF series is that each iteration is different from the last. Needless to say, I'm glad that XIII is done. I'm still trying to get around to restarting FFXIII thats been sitting in my "put it down years ago and never came back" backlog. Who knows, maybe Ill actually like its linearity and hands off approach this time around since I don't have nearly as much time for gaming anymore.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Deufo
The Duke

Three times faster

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #748 on: February 23, 2014, 08:11:39 PM »

Just finished playing Lightning Returns. It was definitely a good ride, playing the 3 games. But i was expecting so much more after XIII-2. My main problem was how disconnected the story was from the other games, like it's not a sequel at all. Don't get me wrong, the main points are still there, but the 500-year passage was, in my opinion, a weird turn. The way the narrative uses to tell what happened in those 500 years with the other characters is weird too, using small flashbacks with characters simply stating "Yeah, we did that for the first 200 years...", which gets the point across in a weird, disconnected way, like no time passed at all. And i really wish Lightning would get more character development, besides the few lines of text we get in some loading screens.

The ending was good, although i feel it needed an epilogue of sorts. But i always think that games need an epilogue, so take that with a pinch of salt. Definitely worth playing through the series, though.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #749 on: February 23, 2014, 08:18:58 PM »

^ I think an epilogue would have been really good just to see what the rest of the cast is up to

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: