Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 11:05:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332959 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 Print
Author Topic: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, The Last 13 Days  (Read 63206 times)
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #795 on: March 25, 2014, 03:47:05 PM »

I finished-- 100% a few weeks ago and was very satisfied with the ending.  As much as I hate to say it... I'm going to miss these games, lol.

Currently Playing-Xenoblade Chronicles
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #796 on: April 05, 2014, 03:49:10 AM »

A Conversation About a Conversation About Final Fantasy XIII -- Critical Hits and Pixilated Profoundments

Is a bit shocking seeing someone that has the same perception I have over the XIII series. Knowing you guys though I bet there's gonna be a lot of talk I'm not gonna get into but is a very good read if you are interested.

Also the novel that was gonna be released close to the Japanese release of LR is said to be released on the official site of LR for free. Expect fan translations because SQEX doesn't care about translating this kind of supplemental material most of the time.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #797 on: April 05, 2014, 07:24:24 AM »

A Conversation About a Conversation About Final Fantasy XIII -- Critical Hits and Pixilated Profoundments

Is a bit shocking seeing someone that has the same perception I have over the XIII series. Knowing you guys though I bet there's gonna be a lot of talk I'm not gonna get into but is a very good read if you are interested.

Also the novel that was gonna be released close to the Japanese release of LR is said to be released on the official site of LR for free. Expect fan translations because SQEX doesn't care about translating this kind of supplemental material most of the time.

I agree with that article as far as the good things it had to say about the XIII games except for "This is a story lead by women, and in many ways, it is about women. Do I think this might be the reason that some people are not particularly happy with the Final Fantasy XIII series? Yes, actually I do.". That's a shitty way to try and justify the hate the game gets. I'd say it's more about people not paying attention to the plot, ignoring datalogs, ignoring character motivations and backgrounds just because they don't relate or like the personality of said character or clinging on to stupid bandwagons you see on the internet(Herp derp RAIGNTING WAIFU BLA BLA Torniaymsadma).
 Or it might actually be that they genuinely don't like the games for perfectly solid reasons(lack of exploration, too much combat, etc..). I say this as a fan of the XIII games, more so of the sequels than the original XIII but even that one I like a good amount.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:30:42 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #798 on: April 05, 2014, 10:49:33 AM »

So after browsing the list of BatmanLightning Returns's costumes on the FFWikia, I see that most of them are variants of the same 6 or 7 initially announced. Now granted, variation of even that amount is an amazing feat for costume options, however, as variations, most do not address the issues I had with said original 6 or 7 (or somehow make them uglier than before).

It's a tad disappointing.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #799 on: April 05, 2014, 01:02:34 PM »

@Holykael1: Yeah that's true and I've seen all that happening with XIII even before the first game was released. FF always tends to attract that kind of cathartic reaction, but what he/she said in that portion you disagree with is actually not far from the truth. Sadly there's a bunch of sexist people out there that don't like or can accept a female character having things like a strong presence and/or a developed personality, not even in a video game.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #800 on: April 05, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »

So after browsing the list of BatmanLightning Returns's costumes on the FFWikia, I see that most of them are variants of the same 6 or 7 initially announced. Now granted, variation of even that amount is an amazing feat for costume options, however, as variations, most do not address the issues I had with said original 6 or 7 (or somehow make them uglier than before).

It's a tad disappointing.

True.

Keep in mind, too, that you can also customize their colors in-game. Well, for most of the costumes, not all; for some of the ugliest ones you can't.  And, of course, said ugly one is one of the best in the game.
Tintaglia

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #801 on: April 06, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »

When FFVIII came out, I knew Final Fantasy had changed into something I didn't really like.

When FFX came out, I was having a hard time admitting to myself how much I hated it.

When FFXII came out, I started to realize to my great sadness that I've outgrown Final Fantasy and I should let go.

When FFXIII came out, I was upset at myself for buying it, just out of habit.

When Lightning Returns came out, I realized I just don't give a damn anymore. I'm done.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #802 on: April 06, 2014, 12:10:41 PM »

When FFVIII came out, I knew Final Fantasy had changed into something I didn't really like.

When FFX came out, I was having a hard time admitting to myself how much I hated it.

When FFXII came out, I started to realize to my great sadness that I've outgrown Final Fantasy and I should let go.

When Lightning Returns came out, I realized I just don't give a damn anymore. I'm done.

Ok

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #803 on: April 06, 2014, 02:15:05 PM »

Ok

At least FFIX was omitted! :D

And I kinda agree but not with this same ZEST AND PASSION OF ABSOLUTE ANGER.  And I like FFX (mostly for its pretty world and fun and quick battle system).

LR has my attention since everyone calls to its battle system and customization as being a lot of fun (at the expense of a good story).  As soon as that game is on discount I might pick it up.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #804 on: April 06, 2014, 02:23:04 PM »

Ok

And I kinda agree but not with this same ZEST AND PASSION OF ABSOLUTE ANGER.  And I like FFX (mostly for its pretty world and fun and quick battle system).

LR has my attention since everyone calls to its battle system and customization as being a lot of fun (at the expense of a good story).  As soon as that game is on discount I might pick it up.

People who criticize the story are mostly people who dont know shit about the XIII universe(and it shows with the amount of stupid that comes out of their mouths as far as storyline events go) or didn't like the XIII stories to begin with. If you enjoyed the previous games, LR does a good job at closing the story. I saw some fans being disappointed too but it's uncommon.
If you don't like the characters or story from the previous two games yeah, don't expect anything out of it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:38:00 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #805 on: April 06, 2014, 05:41:06 PM »

XIII's story in the long run ends up being a fulfilling experience in comparison to whatever X and X-2 tried to do in their time. They both have their moments of brilliance and their passionate fans, but overall, I honestly think that Persona 3 did practically the same story that X was trying to do way better.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #806 on: April 06, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »

XIII's story in the long run ends up being a fulfilling experience in comparison to whatever X and X-2 tried to do in their time. They both have their moments of brilliance and their passionate fans, but overall, I honestly think that Persona 3 did practically the same story that X was trying to do way better.

You give off weird vibes to me(I don't mean it in a derrogatory way). You talk like someone who has been through a lot, like a veteran of war who possibly lost some limbs and fought a lot of battles and just gave up on life(in terms of internet discussions).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:28:09 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #807 on: April 06, 2014, 06:59:12 PM »

Ok

People who criticize the story are mostly people who dont know shit about the XIII universe(and it shows with the amount of stupid that comes out of their mouths as far as storyline events go) or didn't like the XIII stories to begin with. If you enjoyed the previous games, LR does a good job at closing the story. I saw some fans being disappointed too but it's uncommon.
If you don't like the characters or story from the previous two games yeah, don't expect anything out of it.

I liked you better before you became an FFXIII apologist.

So would you rate the FFXIII trilogy as being better than 999/VLR, and if so, by how much?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #808 on: April 06, 2014, 07:12:50 PM »

I don't think he's necessarily wrong, though.  XIII's lore is quite interesting and certainly very complex.  It's just not used well in the games and it's all in the side material, which in itself is a trend worth criticizing, I think.  Having to read supplemental material outside and unrelated to the game to get the most out of it is silly, no matter the series.  There's a line between being self-contained with just extra material that explains more of events or background (FFVII is a good example) and reliance on explaining the main plot through outside material (XIII, Xenogears, Danganronpa, arguably Chrono Cross, so on).

That being said, and I said it earlier in the thread, I think LR would have been a better game had it not been directly connected to the original XIII and XIII-2.  It cheapens the world the game takes place in, because I found it genuinely interesting. The connection to the previous games felt tacked on in comparison.

XI is probably the only game in the series that has more complex worldbuilding than XIII.  But XI also has had more than 10 years of updates and expansions to build, so it's not a particularly fair comparison.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #809 on: April 06, 2014, 07:28:19 PM »

Ok

I liked you better before you became an FFXIII apologist.

So would you rate the FFXIII trilogy as being better than 999/VLR, and if so, by how much?

I am not an apologist. I like what I like and I am not afraid to defend what I like regardless of the status quo. I don't love things blindly I might add, I am no fanboy either. This applies to anything, XIII is just an example.
And I think you overrate how much I like FF XIII xD. 999/VLR are FARRRRRRRRRRRRRR superior(it's a completely different tier of experience). And for clarification my FF rankings would be as follows 7 > 10 > 9=8 > 6 = 13-2(though I tend to give 6 the edge) > LR = 4 > 12=5=13 > 2 > 1.
I don't dislike any of them and even with 1 at the bottom I like it quite a bit and as you see the 13 games are not that high. I just can't relate to the hyperbolic negativity, that's all, I enjoy many aspects of the XIII games even if they are not perfect but I tend to look for reasons to enjoy something and not the other way around.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:34:48 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: